HybridZ

Out with the old, and in with the new.

ColtGT4g63

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been on the site in YEARS. My build sits in a storage shed under four layers of moving blankets. All that is needed is some wiring finished up and tuning; but, alas, no place to work on it since losing my home.

Somehow, early in this thread, my gut told me the FFR Coupe ... A-W-E-S-O-M-E CHOICE !! Their best product IMHO !! Did you go to the Annual Gathering in HB ? I was there many, many hours salivating over the cars. Lamenting on all of the time & money poured into the Z build, when I could have been driving the Coupe long ago. At the time, my decision was based upon the fact that the Coupe requires the big investment Up Front, whereas I've been able to spread the cost of my Z build out over 6+ YEARS :~(

lol ... a post early in the Thread about the coupe "copying" the Z body lines ... err uhh, other way around fella ! [Can't remember who it was]. Someone didn't know their history ... Daytona was 60's, Z car 70's ...

Anyway, GREAT Choice, GREAT job ! Someday, I'll be there ... hopefully. My Z definitely has the looks, & attention-to-detail to get good money if I auctioned it, then I could do the Coupe, as well ... always been my dream car since my teens [that's a LONG time!]. Doesn't do me much good to 'dream', when I have NO place to work on cars any longer [used to have 3 car garage]. Hell, it may be many MORE years before I can finish my [rotisserie-built] Z Project ! :~(

Congrats ...

Thanks you guys! Well... I'm proud to say that the registration is all finished up! And I've got about 450 miles on the car already. It runs pretty damn good for not having an ounce of tuning. The "unknown" trans that I purchased shifts perfect too. The car is a blast to drive! Handles like its on rails, and cruises around at 1100rpm at 70mph. Took it over to show my mom today and she made me stand for a few pics. :-)

DSCN0139.JPG

DSCN0140.JPG

• 1 month later...

Thanks!!! I do plan to race it, I just need to figure out what rules I have to follow since I don't have any windows in the car. Maybe just set up a window net? Not planning to take it to any shows. Just keeping it a street car with some racing every now and then.

So now that you have had it on the road how would you compare it to your old datsun?

Well... So far I'm in favor of the coupe over the Z. There are certainly pro's and cons to each but I think the pro's of the coupe out weigh the Z. The coupe Handles MUCH MUCH better then my Z did. But that's not saying much because I didn't set up the Z to be a good handling car. I and pretty much adjust any suspension angle that I want on the coupe, its extremely easy to work on because the entire front end comes off the car when you open the hood.

100% of the parts are brand new (minus power train) So when I'm looking for a certain wire its not wrapped in 40 year old tape and covered in dirt. And it was built to be worked on so things come apart pretty easy. To get behind the dash I just quick release the steering wheel off. and remove 8 screws. then the entire dash is off and everything is exposed all in less then 5 min.

Rear end options are endless. I can get any kind of gear ratio, axle, limited slip, whatever all within a summit racing order placement away.

Tire sizing isn't a problem either. I can pretty much get something as tall as a 28-29 inch and go as wide as 345(as long as I don't mind the tire sticking out a little bit)

As for the bodies, I think the tube frame is awesome. Its very rigid and feels pretty solid. but I'm not too much of a fan of the fiberglass. I know there isn't really too many other ways to do it. But You can see while you're driving and hitting bumps, there are sections that flex and bend. Nothing crazy, but its just stuff that I notice.

Over all. I like the way the Z car looks better. (I favor the Z car rear end over the coupe rear end) But I still think the coupe looks good too. And I think the performance side of things in the coupe gives you a lot more options. And to get what you're getting in the coupe for around 30,000$ Its a bargain.

when I put the Auto in the Z, I wish I could have bolted in a 2.73 gear set to make the car more drivable on the street. Especially on the highway. And unfortunately I couldn't find anyone that sells gears for a Q45 infinity. Its nice to know that i'll be able to find some highway friendly gears for the coupe if it ever came down to an auto swap. Its probably not too likely.

OH! btw... My old Datsun is in Japan now and is on speedhunters

http://vimeo.com/43682120 1:16 & 2:58

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/06/motor-head-0-4-1/

Well... So far I'm in favor of the coupe over the Z. There are certainly pro's and cons to each but I think the pro's of the coupe out weigh the Z. The coupe Handles MUCH MUCH better then my Z did. But that's not saying much because I didn't set up the Z to be a good handling car. I and pretty much adjust any suspension angle that I want on the coupe, its extremely easy to work on because the entire front end comes off the car when you open the hood.

100% of the parts are brand new (minus power train) So when I'm looking for a certain wire its not wrapped in 40 year old tape and covered in dirt. And it was built to be worked on so things come apart pretty easy. To get behind the dash I just quick release the steering wheel off. and remove 8 screws. then the entire dash is off and everything is exposed all in less then 5 min.

Rear end options are endless. I can get any kind of gear ratio, axle, limited slip, whatever all within a summit racing order placement away.

Tire sizing isn't a problem either. I can pretty much get something as tall as a 28-29 inch and go as wide as 345(as long as I don't mind the tire sticking out a little bit)

As for the bodies, I think the tube frame is awesome. Its very rigid and feels pretty solid. but I'm not too much of a fan of the fiberglass. I know there isn't really too many other ways to do it. But You can see while you're driving and hitting bumps, there are sections that flex and bend. Nothing crazy, but its just stuff that I notice.

Over all. I like the way the Z car looks better. (I favor the Z car rear end over the coupe rear end) But I still think the coupe looks good too. And I think the performance side of things in the coupe gives you a lot more options. And to get what you're getting in the coupe for around 30,000$ Its a bargain.

when I put the Auto in the Z, I wish I could have bolted in a 2.73 gear set to make the car more drivable on the street. Especially on the highway. And unfortunately I couldn't find anyone that sells gears for a Q45 infinity. Its nice to know that i'll be able to find some highway friendly gears for the coupe if it ever came down to an auto swap. Its probably not too likely.

OH! btw... My old Datsun is in Japan now and is on speedhunters

http://vimeo.com/43682120 1:16 & 2:58

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/06/motor-head-0-4-1/

Wow, that is AWESOME ! My intentions are for fun with my build but I know one day I'll be looking for another project and I hope that mine will go(sale)in the same manners as yours.

Now just waiting to see the twins one your current !

Edited by Daz