HybridZ

Out with the old, and in with the new.

ColtGT4g63

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! I actually have not been able to take it out yet. Originally I was going to take it out when the body was off, but it had no exhaust and would have been too loud. So I put the body on and decided I would take it for a spin when I got the exhaust finished. Now that the exhaust is finished, I already started putting the front end on but haven't finished that part yet. (Front end is loose and needs to be trimmed still) So I can't drive it around till the front end is finished. Looks like I'll be driving it whenever the car is pretty much finished. Which shouldn't be too much longer.

And ya, its definately going to be getting some turbos in the future! :wink:

Edited by ColtGT4g63

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Don't worry, I'll get a video for you as soon as its worth of taking one. Right now I'm working on getting the car insured so I can drive it to get my CHP / Smog ref inspections, but its proving to be a difficult task. Can't get insurance without a VIN, Can't drive without insurance, Can't get it registered without driving it to get inspections. Haha

Edited by ColtGT4g63

I got mine registered on a flat bed trailer. It didn't even have a motor when it got inspected. They don't require emissions for pre 76 cars here so they didn't care. I'm sure cali is much harder though. Especially for a kit car.

Edited by sq_creations

The process for registering the car goes....

1. DMV to start the registration process. Need to have all receipts, Certificate of origin, and be early enough in the year to get one of the sequence numbers for SB100, and a lot of money to hand over.

2. Make an appointment with the CHP for your car to be checked out and a VIN to be generated.

3. Once you've got your vin, you can make an appointment with the Smog referee, he wants your sequence number, your vin, and then he will inspect your cars engine to make sure its got a closed PCV system. (which is the only emission that was required in 1965.) Then he will submit all the paperwork.

4. Go get a brake / light inspection. You'll need to at least have your vin when you do this step, because they need to print the vin out on the certificate. So technically you can do this before going to the Smog referee, but you must have already gone to CHP.

5. Go back to DMV and submit everything. Then wait for your plates to be mailed to you.

It's all a huge pain in the ass, and I haven't even made it passed step 2 yet. I've got insurance barking at me to bring the car to one of their branch's so they can take pics of it. Meanwhile, my temporary registration tag has expired so I had to go back to the DMV to get another. But come to find out the lady behind the desk was in a bad mood today and will not give me one because I don't have my Brake / light inspection done. But she'll gladly give me a 1 day pass. Gee... Thanks! I better pass the brake / light inspection of I'll have to go back and visit this C again for another 1 day pass. But WAIT! I can't take it in for a brake / light inspection until I've gone to CHP and received my VIN, so it looked like I have to use my 1 day pass to go to CHP< then go get another to go for the brake / light inspection. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

The process for registering the car goes....

1. DMV to start the registration process. Need to have all receipts, Certificate of origin, and be early enough in the year to get one of the sequence numbers for SB100, and a lot of money to hand over.

2. Make an appointment with the CHP for your car to be checked out and a VIN to be generated.

3. Once you've got your vin, you can make an appointment with the Smog referee, he wants your sequence number, your vin, and then he will inspect your cars engine to make sure its got a closed PCV system. (which is the only emission that was required in 1965.) Then he will submit all the paperwork.

4. Go get a brake / light inspection. You'll need to at least have your vin when you do this step, because they need to print the vin out on the certificate. So technically you can do this before going to the Smog referee, but you must have already gone to CHP.

5. Go back to DMV and submit everything. Then wait for your plates to be mailed to you.

It's all a huge pain in the ass, and I haven't even made it passed step 2 yet. I've got insurance barking at me to bring the car to one of their branch's so they can take pics of it. Meanwhile, my temporary registration tag has expired so I had to go back to the DMV to get another. But come to find out the lady behind the desk was in a bad mood today and will not give me one because I don't have my Brake / light inspection done. But she'll gladly give me a 1 day pass. Gee... Thanks! I better pass the brake / light inspection of I'll have to go back and visit this C U N T again for another 1 day pass. But WAIT! I can't take it in for a brake / light inspection until I've gone to CHP and received my VIN, so it looked like I have to use my 1 day pass to go to CHP< then go get another to go for the brake / light inspection. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

They can give you 2 "one day" passes ! I went threw this when I was trying to get my M3 to pass smog !

I dont think kit cars here need a smog/referee check either as long as you register it as "resembling" the model year closest to the body instead of the engine.

They do a baseline smog dyno even if it's registered as a '65 replica. It has to be in running condition to see the referee, and you HAVE to see him for a SB100, no matter what.