HybridZ

Remote Fuel Cell Fill

SUNNY Z

I've been tossing the idea around about doing a fuel cell on my 280 (LS1 swapped). However, I don't want to have to pop the hatch and move the carpet and / or a trap door every time i need to fill up, as this will be a street car. I was just curious if anyone has done a fuel cell with a remote fill, say behind the license plate?

I've found several old mustang guys that have done this, but I searched around here, to no avail.

Please post pics and / or experiences with this if you have any!

Thanks

What i've been looking at doing is mounting the fuel cell flush with the floor, and then having one of these (remote filler with rollover valve) point toward the tag area. Problem is, I'd have to make a little tunnel for the hose to sit under, or try to find a fuel cell with an offset fill (ideal).

rci-7036b_m.jpg

Possibly something to the tune of this......

But it would likely need to be sumped at the bottom....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RCI-2172A/?rtype=10

RCI-2172A.jpg

Edited by SUNNY Z

I originally had the intent of doing the flip down plate, but things changed, ended up popping the hatch to fill my gas, but I'm revisiting the idea now that I'm going to swap in a LS1 camaro gas tank.

Here's a pic of the flip down plate I had very roughly mocked up several years ago. Flip down plate mechanism was off an old monte carlo.

gascap.jpg

Edited by 280zcar

Here are some pictures of what I got going with a remote fill. It is a 10 gal tank from summit, I cut out the spare tire well and added a closeout plate. A fill tube extends from the back of the tank to the rear of the car. I also made a cover for the tube so I dont get any gas vapor in the car

post-1492-074635500 1321409125_thumb.jpg

post-1492-044993000 1321409259_thumb.jpg

post-1492-051212000 1321409465_thumb.jpg

Wheeler -

Looks like about exactly what I'm talking about. However, that angle into the tank looks REALLY shallow, which concerns me. I don't want to have to jack up the back of the car so i can fuel it LOL.

yea i'm a little concerned about it but I don't think it will be a problem. Worst case is i will need to fill it slowly