HybridZ

'83 280zx Digital Speedo Cluster/Harness questions

rforrest

I have a 1983 280zx that i just got, I have the original digital speedo and gauges in it but it's broken and I need to take it out to fix it, so I'm going to put in the analogue cluster from a turbo 280zx of the same year. I've heard that the harnesses are totally different, if so, is the harness from the turbo compatible with the non-turbo harness? Your help is much appreciated.

-Robert

I have a 1983 280zx that i just got, I have the original digital speedo and gauges in it but it's broken and I need to take it out to fix it, so I'm going to put in the analogue cluster from a turbo 280zx of the same year. I've heard that the harnesses are totally different, if so, is the harness from the turbo compatible with the non-turbo harness? Your help is much appreciated.

-Robert

Connectors are different . You need to get both IPC and connectors . This can be done by following the wring dia. and rewire it . Digital has a charge ind. and analog has a diff. ind. , can't remember what .

You just need the pigtail that goes from the main harness in the passenger foot well to the gauge cluster. There is an analog harness and a digital harness. There is also some slight differences with the turbo harness and the tri cluster if you have a boost control, etc as well as some possible issues with the defrost switch (auto/manual). Speedo cable is the same. You will need to remove the dash - it's a pain the first time but it's not as bad as it sounds. While you're in there I use some open cell foam tape to fix all the decayed foam between all the piping for the vents...

• 2 weeks later...

If you are swapping to an analog cluster, you might want to track down a speedo from a 79 so you can get the 130mph version. If you stick with one from an 83, you are stuck with an 85mph speedo.

There are variations in the analog harnesses. As stated above concerning NA vs Turbo, but also cruise control.

When I swapped out the digital for analog in my 83ZXT, I also swapped out the fuel sending unit and the temp sensors under the hood.

Like suggested above, replace all the old foam in the duct work. I also recommend you replace every single piece of vacuum line under the dash. Its cheap and easy when the dash is out.

-Robert

Thank you for all the helpful replies. I have decided to wait on this project since I got the digital tach to work again.

If you are swapping to an analog cluster, you might want to track down a speedo from a 79 so you can get the 130mph version. If you stick with one from an 83, you are stuck with an 85mph speedo.

There are variations in the analog harnesses. As stated above concerning NA vs Turbo, but also cruise control.

When I swapped out the digital for analog in my 83ZXT, I also swapped out the fuel sending unit and the temp sensors under the hood.

Like suggested above, replace all the old foam in the duct work. I also recommend you replace every single piece of vacuum line under the dash. Its cheap and easy when the dash is out.

Just to clarify for others referencing this thread you don't need to swap the fuel sender or temp sensors to convert from digital to analog