HybridZ

280zxt stub axle/ cv swap

Guest skimattybee

Guest skimattybee

I have searched and searched and I just can't seem to get it..I want to double check before I spend money that I don't need to. I Have 280zxt stub axles,companion flanges and r200 with Cv axles..my question is, can I simply swap over the stub axles/companion flanges to my car?( Late 260z) without any adapters? I have an r200 diff with halfshafts installed at the moment. Any help is appriciated. Thanks

Brad

The 280zx stub axles are the smaller spline count. They are the same as a 240z. 280zxt companion flanges for CV's will bolt on to the 240z axles. However I believe there are fitment issues with the width, I've heard of reports of binding when used with R200 diffs on one side.

I don't know if your 260 has 240z or the later 280z axles. If you have the later axles, the 280zx companion flanges will not fit.

I have a 72 240 and am using the modern motorsports adapters with an r200 and no issues so far, except the quality of the work done on the flanges, they were welded on my 280z companion flanges a bit off center. Not bad, but enough to annoy me.

Guest skimattybee

mine is a late 260 so it has the 280z style axles. my question is, if i were to take the Stub axles, and companion flanges off of a 280zxt could i sumply remove the stub axles from my car and install them along with the companion flanges and r200

this is the 280 stub for the halfshafts

280stub.jpg

this is the 280zxt for the CV's

280zxtaxle.jpg

i just want to know if i can swap the entire assembly

Thanks

I don't think the 280zx axles are the right length, but I do know that the 280zxt companion flanges are the same splines as the 240z axles. I recall there being the binding issue using the stock zxt companion flanges and R200, but i've not done any measurements myself to verify.

The S30 bearings are "inch" dimensions and the S130 bearings are metric. You can buy the flanges from AZcar or have a machine shop cut off,turn and weld the cv flanges onto the S30 hubs. The other option is to have the axle housings bored out, it's only about .010. If you do that you can use the later 5 lug hubs.

Basically, the 280ZX stub axle has a different OD (outside diameter) where the inner and outer wheel bearings are seated, so it uses different wheel bearing than the S30. The OD of the 280ZX rear wheel bearings will not fit the S30 rear strut.

In other words, the 280ZX stub axles will not fit.

The S30 bearings are "inch" dimensions and the S130 bearings are metric...

No, that’s nonsense. Both vehicles use metric bearings at the rear.

However, the front wheel bearings of both the S30, S130 and even the Z31 are the same as used by many 1970's domestic and foreign vehicles. But I would call them “SAE sized†and not “inch†dimensioned.

Let me clear some things up here. The 240z stub axle bearings both measure 2.750 (2 3/4") o.d and 1.250 (1 1/4") i.d. The '79 thru '83 280zx bearings measure 72mm o.d. and 30mm i.d. The '84-'89 5 lug axles are also use 72mm x 30mm.

The 240z housings can be bored out to 72 mm and fitted with the 4 or 5 lug hubs. This leaves a thinner wall around the bearing but the outside of the housing ends could be sleeved for more strength if thought to be necessary. There aren't any metric bearings that fit the S30 axles/housings.

The cv flanges need to be shortened and machined/welded on the same hub or whatever hub/spline combo you have available. This requires a skilled machinist with a good lathe and a tig welder. The shortening is necessary on lowered cars because the cv axles are longer.

You also need the R200 diff and cv output shafts.

So basically if I can get the 280z bearing to fit on the 280zxt stub axle then it will work? I could shave off .10? Or are there other problems as well

That part I got wrong. (OFS) You can't remove that much off a bearing od. The only way to fit that bearing in an S30 hub is to have the housings bored out. You would be taking out .084"

Guest skimattybee

since the 240 stubs have the same spline count as the 280zxt stubs and use the correct bearing for my car i can use 240 stubs right? so that problem is solved by switching to 240 stub axles... on to the next.. the cv axles are too long and need to be shortened to fit the s30? my car is lowered about 2"

Guest skimattybee

the main reason that i am considering this swap is #1 i swapped in a r200 with halfshafts a few months ago and it is whining like a baby

#2 i just picked up a 3.90 r200 with cv's out of a low miles 280zxt

#3 my l28et will have close to 400hp and i know the cv's will be able to handle that

at this point i am considering just popping the cv's off of the new r200 and swapping in the halfshafts so it will bolt up to what i have now without any fab work or adapters. what would you recommend?

Let me clear some things up here. The 240z stub axle bearings both measure 2.750 (2 3/4") o.d and 1.250 (1 1/4") i.d....

You are quite correct about the S30 rear bearings being SAE sized and not metric. I apologize for my comment.

...The 240z housings can be bored out to 72 mm and fitted with the 4 or 5 lug hubs. This leaves a thinner wall around the bearing but the outside of the housing ends could be sleeved for more strength if thought to be necessary....

I have bored out a rear S30 strut housing to 72mm so I could use the Z31 (five bolt) stub axle. Five years later it’s still OK (no cracks). I did use the 280Z rear strut housing because Nissan strengthened the 280Z housing by adding a little more material in the bearing location area.

Guest skimattybee

So the only Fab work needed was to bore out the strut housing so the stub and bearing would fit? Did you need to shorten the cv shafts or stub on either side?

• 2 weeks later...

Since you are running that much power you may as well go with

Just to get it on the road use the N/A halfshafts.

To build it so it will handle the power, get the right companion flanges to fit the stronger 280z axles. Modern Motorsports sells them, or you can find the adapter pattern and have a set made, or make a set for yourself if you have the skills, tools and time.

My Modern motorsports weld on adapters were not welded on centered. I'm thinking of RMA'ing them back to them if I can.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I bought some R230 companion flange from MM and sourced 280Z stub axles (27 spline) but now appears that the R230 companion flange is 30MM in diameter vs the 280Z stub axle that is about 27mm so it's put a halt to my build... I've emailed Ross four times without a reply so I have to ask the experts if the Stub axle is wrong or was the wrong companion flange sent that is at issue?