HybridZ

Project 71 SR-240Z

I'm not sure where to start...

I was in Japan for three years, and I had a Nissan Silvia while I was there. Of course I was into the whole drift scene too. I wasn't able to bring my car back so I stripped the whole thing down and put it into foot lockers. I had it shipped as house hold goods :-) When I got back to the states I bought a 90 Nissan 240SX ($500) and spent about a year building it and making it better than the Silvia I had. Then one morning I was going to work, doing about 40MPH, and got hit in the driver door by a full size Chevy Silverado. I spent three months in the hospital and two and half of it was in a coma. I have scene photos here: The Day I Almost Died

I also made a little video that describes what injuries I had etc.

So, the engine, transmission, diff, most of the suspension stuff, etc are all still good. The car has been sitting for 4 years now.

I now have a 71 Datsun 240Z that I want to build for drifting Project 71 SR-240Z. I have always loved the 240Z's and I love drifting....so why not?

Now, my question(s):

- I have an R200 shortnose diff from an R32 Skyline. How can I make this work?

- I would really like to make as much of my S13 suspension components work on the S30. I'm not sure exactly what will work and what won't.

- Can I use the whole rear sub frame from the S13 and fab it to the S30?

- What about the front sub frame? Can I use the S13 one? Is there some other one I could use?

- I really want power steering.

- Even if I have to get parts from various cars to make the suspension tight and adjustable and able to withstand the stresses of drifting, then I will do it.

- The SR engine mount isn't an issue as I have found that.

- I have seen those tubes that you can weld on to make S13 coilovers work on an S30, but can't I just use the whole S13 spindle, coilover, etc? I have Z32 brakes on my S13.

- What about clutch and brake master cylinders? I have a Z32 brake master cylinder--can I use that? Which clutch master cylinder could I use in the S30?

- I have more questions, but I just can't think of them right now....

I appreciate any input on this.

Thanks!

Holy ****! Glad you made it out of that accident, your car got destroyed!

As for swapping the S13 stuff into the chassis, a few people have swapped an S14 (I think - don't remember anymore) rear subframe into the Z car, and one person swapped I think it was an S12 front suspension in. I think mull (username on here) has swapped/is working on swapping in S14 front suspension. I don't have answers for your other questions, sorry. But as for power steering, have you driven a Z? They really don't need it. In a bone stock 280Z, it's a little tough at parking lot speeds, but in my 240z, it absolutely does not need it, at any speed.

I would use the engine, ecu, turbo, etc., and part out the rest of the S13 and use the money to buy nice S30 suspension components. Nothing from the S13 will just bolt into the S30. You really need to be an expert fabricator to do this, and what will you gain in the end? You can make an S30 handle just as good as a S13 with proper components and setup.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while, but I have been busy and procrastinating a lot lol. This weekend I finally stripped the whole wrecked S13 of just about everything aside from the engine and tranny. Those will have to wait until I can barrow a cherry picker and a truck...maybe next weekend.

As far as the suspension goes. I have an almost brand new set of Megan Racing track series that was on the S13; however, the front left is broke in half from the wreck. I have two thoughts: 1, tell Megan Racing my near death wreck story and maybe get a new front left coilover for free or discounted. Then buy that weld in kit, Here, and make it all work. Or option 2, try to sell 3 good coilovers and try and find some bolt in S30 coilovers that are equivalent to the Megan Track series? Though, I'm not sure about this.

Then I have that R32 Skyline diff, R200 shortnose. I would really like to use the diff as it is shimmed and I have the skyline axles as well. I'm just not sure how to go about doing this. I might as well add that this project is intended to be a drifting 240Z, so the chassis and suspension need to be really stiff/tight.

The engine that will go in the Z will be an SR20DET and I will get the mount to make that work.

I need to figure out which brake and clutch master cylinder to use as well as run new brake lines on the whole car.

I had Z32 front brakes on the S13, I'm hoping to adapt those to the S30.

You can use the s13 rear subframe, I've heard it's almost a bolt in except the front two bolts need somewhere fabricated to bolt up. However that subframe weighs significantly more than the s30 one and doesn't handle significantly better. I've heard megan struts are about $100. I'd imagine they'd be willing to give you a free one after hearing your story. What spring rates do those coilovers have though? S30's really shouln't use more than about a 300lb spring without severe chassis stiffening, as the unibody will flex before the strut/spring will get into its travel. You can use a wilwood 1" master cylinder for the brakes (see sticky), and a wilwood 7/8's for the clutch master. The biggest problem with the z for drifting is steering lock, you just cant get enough angle to get really nice drifts (or so i've heard). The subaru (forester?) power steering rack is almost a bolt-in, and I've always thought it wouldn't be that hard to make it work as a rear-steer rack, by cutting the steering rack "ears" off the X-member and welding them on the back of the x-member, and shortwning the steering rack. I'd imagine that would be doable, an would give you the opportunity to modify the steering knuckles in such a way to give you more angle (by making them longer, i think?). Anyways looking forward to seeing your progress!

Edited by luseboy

The shortnose can be used IIRC, you need a new mustache bar, and a new yoke and adjustment for the drive shaft.

The sx subframe swap is pretty darn involved, if you would like to see an example, the 240z driftworks project aardvark will convey all the problems you may run into, and how feasible the process is. The problem lies with the fact that the Z is a unibody, and thus the rear subframe is welded to the body. So if you wanted to graft the sx subframe, without raising the height of the car, you would have to drill out the welds holding the sub frame in the Z as well as cut out/recess the body to fit the subframe, as well as add the holes for the bolts as well as reinforce them. Then weld the subframe to the car or weld in steel tubing to reinforce all the rigidity you removed cutting out the old subframe. Assuming this is accomplished this would widen the track of the car substantially which would necessitate massive flares or else you'd be running paddy-flush.

For the front you would have to use either use Z stuff or all sx stuff, and by all sx I mean cutting off the entire front of the vehicle from the sx, which judging from the unfortunate video is no longer possible. As you have the sx coilovers it may be a good idea to go with the adapter tubes from mckinnley or zcc customs (typing at school, spelling is probably wrong on both).

Awesome replies to my questions/issues, Thanks!

As for the 240SX subframe...is this needed to make the R200 shortnose work? What are the pros and cons to grafting in the S13 subframe vs trying to use the Z subframe?

For the front...will the Z components be sufficient for drifting? Meaning, will I be able to achieve enough steering angle and steering response? Do they make aftermarket components to achieve this or would I have to graft the S13 components onto the Z to make this work? Power steering or not, I feel the most important thing would being able to get enough steering angle in order to control the drift.

As far as the spring rates go on the Megan Track series coilovers:

SPECIFICATIONS & FEATURES:

APPLICATION:

Nissan 240SX 1989-1994 S13

SPRING RATES:

F: 62mm ID; 180mm length; 12 kg/mm

R: 62mm ID; 200mm length; 10 kg/mm

DAMPER SPECS:

F: 120mm stroke; 260mm length; M3 X valving code

R: 115mm stroke; 220mm length; A1+ X valving code

• 2 months later...

I have some updated photos. This project is being done with very limited funds and time, but hopefully it will get finished at some point.

Here is the photo set that will continue to get updated as the project continues.

Project: SR-71 240Z

I have the S13 IRS just sitting up in there with the help of some floor jacks and some jack stands. Just trying to get an idea of what needs to be done. This IRS has a shortnose R200 diff from a R32 Skyline.

Edited by Boost Dependent

• 1 month later...

Also, can anyone provide specifics on this and maybe some photos?

I want power steering. With that being said I am also looking to get as much steering angle as possible (this will be a drift setup). I have read bits and pieces here and there about using a late 90's subaru forester front subframe and rack, is this correct?

Are there any install photos of this?

What tie rods do I use?

What about the steering column?

• 1 month later...

Hey, I was wondering how you were coming along on your project.

I am doing the same thing as you.

I spent a lot of money fixing up my s13 with upgrades.

I ended up taking everything out of the s13 as far as suspension and the sr20.

Im currently modifying the s30 to mate with the s13 rear suspension.

Here is my car domain address

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3934365/1974-datsun-260z

• 1 month later...

I have some updated photos here:

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/boostdependent/sets/72157627282201480

This is slow going project. Just limited time and money. But I will continue to update the photos as it progresses.

How is the project going? Got more pics?

The shop that is helping me hasn't done anything in awhile.

• 2 months later...

Sorry I haven't updated this in a while, but I've just been really busy with life lol
I do have over 300 photos in my project album on facebook.  The album should be public, so you should be able to view it.  The project is just been going slow because it's just me, myself, and I doing this in a 1 car garage on a zero budget.  I'm not using any sophisticated tools, or any high dollar machines...just regular hand tools, a harbor freight angle grinder, harbor freight flux core welder, etc...

But anyway, here is the album.  
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4238256002873.2177110.1479716819&type=1&l=87447b2a06

I just about have the rear S13 subframe mounted in the S30.

If anyone was having issues viewing the album via the facebook link, I have uploaded all of the photos to an unlisted gallery on my website.  It's my photography site, and these progress photos don't really reflect my photography word as most are just cell phone shots--hens the unlisted gallery.

http://www.nostalgicimaging.com/Cars/SR-71/27396666_wvrPPv