HybridZ

M Coupe or S2000?

Leon

Should have posted the other day when I saw it. Just checked tonight and it was gone, but there was a Craigslist ad here in Vegas for a 99 Hardtop for under $10k. (No wonder it's gone) That would have been a really nice starter for what you want to do. Keep your eyes open for one of them.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've driven the 2008 STI and honestly did not like it. The power delivery is fun but everything else is just, bleh. Although, when my fiancee and I were looking for a car we did check out a 2006 WRX wagon. I really liked that car for what it is. It's very versatile, yet fun. I enjoyed it more than the STI, actually! You're right about the mpg though.

There in lies the problem. The 08 and + STI's are totally different animals than the 04-06, which are the only years I'd consider currently. I've driven STI's and WRX's and I can honestly say that nearly EVERYTHING about the STI should feel better than a WRX. The entire fit and finish is better. It should feel more nimble and communicative. It should be much more responsive and aggressive. The problem is though they've been packing on the pounds year after year, so much so that I'd take a '03 WRX over a 2010 STI. One thing about the STI is that they also feel more solid. The WRX rides noisier and feels more clunky all the way down to how the transmission shifts and feels. The STI just feels solid by comparison to me. Then you get into all the performance bonuses and it's just 100% better there too.

But, that IS just me. And considering the price difference it's hard to justify unless you're going to really do something with it. I'm actually considering a 04-05 WRX wagon myself as it'd be a great haul crap around car. Could save me from buying a truck and be much more useful for certain trips to the mountains and such I take anyways. I rarely need the vertical space of a truck, so it kinda makes sense. The main downside is that putting an engine in the back of one will be a pain in the arse. But at $5-7k it's hard to complain for how much vehicle you get.

There in lies the problem. The 08 and + STI's are totally different animals than the 04-06, which are the only years I'd consider currently. I've driven STI's and WRX's and I can honestly say that nearly EVERYTHING about the STI should feel better than a WRX. The entire fit and finish is better. It should feel more nimble and communicative. It should be much more responsive and aggressive. The problem is though they've been packing on the pounds year after year, so much so that I'd take a '03 WRX over a 2010 STI. One thing about the STI is that they also feel more solid. The WRX rides noisier and feels more clunky all the way down to how the transmission shifts and feels. The STI just feels solid by comparison to me. Then you get into all the performance bonuses and it's just 100% better there too.

But, that IS just me. And considering the price difference it's hard to justify unless you're going to really do something with it. I'm actually considering a 04-05 WRX wagon myself as it'd be a great haul crap around car. Could save me from buying a truck and be much more useful for certain trips to the mountains and such I take anyways. I rarely need the vertical space of a truck, so it kinda makes sense. The main downside is that putting an engine in the back of one will be a pain in the arse. But at $5-7k it's hard to complain for how much vehicle you get.

I haven't driven an '07 and older STI but the '06 WRX shifter and clutch felt better than the '08 STI, among other things. I think the weight and transmission would be my biggest complaints about the '08.

I've liked the WRX wagons for a long time, and if I were forced to get something practical I think an '06-'07 would be at the top of my list. I can haul almost anything, fit the dogs, go skiing, and still have fun on the twisties!

As far as putting in engine in the back, it would be much easier than what I'm used to doing:

P1010940.jpg

P1010936.jpg

P1010935.jpg

:lol:

My brother and I usually pull 'em out by hand.

I've liked the WRX wagons for a long time, and if I were forced to get something practical I think an '06-'07 would be at the top of my list. I can haul almost anything, fit the dogs, go skiing, and still have fun on the twisties!

I just sold my 2006 WRX limited (leather, heated seats, sun/moon roof) wagon. I bought it new with 25 miles in February 2007 and it had 118k when I sold it yesterday. Best car I've ever owned. The 2006/2007 WRX is the best years to have in my opinion.

I just sold my 2006 WRX limited (leather, heated seats, sun/moon roof) wagon. I bought it new with 25 miles in February 2007 and it had 118k when I sold it yesterday. Best car I've ever owned. The 2006/2007 WRX is the best years to have in my opinion.

Wow, nice! I agree on the years as well, it's the most polished evolution of the WRX, IMO. Why'd you sell?

I drive 25,000 to 30,000 miles a year. I just changed the timing belt/water pump and had two new tires put on it as well. The clutch was going to need replacement as well as the other two tires. My wheels needed to be repaired (out of round due to potholes) as well. My company reimburses me for my car (fixed payment plus a reduced mileage componnent) but requires a car 5 years old or newer with less than 100,000 miles. If you do not qualify, you only get the mileage portion plus a 50% reduction in the fixed payment. Plus, I've driven over 220,000 miles in Los Angeles traffic with a manual transmission (including the WRX). I was about to shoot myself if I had to continue much longer.

The market for used cars is insane and we got a great deal when I Carmax'd it. Sure, I could have sold it private party, but dealing with the tire kickers, dreamers, low ballers, etc. is a pain in the ass. It just made sense at this time.

I bought a 2012 Madza 5 Grand Touring as its replacement. What it lacks in power it makes up in swagger. :) How can you argue with damn near 90 cu. ft. of storage capacity (with all the seats folded flat), up to 28 mpg, and it comfortably seats 6 people.

I'm with ktm on practicality.

I drive a Honda Pilot, BMW E36 M3/4/5, and a Ford E250 bigass van. I will always go for the Pilot first. The van is great because nobody 4ucks with it in traffic(come get some white paint buddy). The BMW is a Sunday driver and part time track car.

I can park someone IN at the parking lot with the van and I don't find a scratch. I put the BMW by itself, in the back lot and someone will pound the doors in.

Middle aged mothers in SUVs can't see the BMW. but they FEAR The VAN. Muwahahahahaaaa.

Little old ladies will pass my van at 90 MPH on the highway and then realize they are speeding the moment they pull back in front of me.

I am installing a train horn on the VAN!!!! and making it my daily driver from now on. Fricking E250 the Ultimate rush hour driving machine.

Edited by bjhines

I drive 25,000 to 30,000 miles a year. I just changed the timing belt/water pump and had two new tires put on it as well. The clutch was going to need replacement as well as the other two tires. My wheels needed to be repaired (out of round due to potholes) as well. My company reimburses me for my car (fixed payment plus a reduced mileage componnent) but requires a car 5 years old or newer with less than 100,000 miles. If you do not qualify, you only get the mileage portion plus a 50% reduction in the fixed payment. Plus, I've driven over 220,000 miles in Los Angeles traffic with a manual transmission (including the WRX). I was about to shoot myself if I had to continue much longer.

The market for used cars is insane and we got a great deal when I Carmax'd it. Sure, I could have sold it private party, but dealing with the tire kickers, dreamers, low ballers, etc. is a pain in the ass. It just made sense at this time.

I bought a 2012 Madza 5 Grand Touring as its replacement. What it lacks in power it makes up in swagger. :) How can you argue with damn near 90 cu. ft. of storage capacity (with all the seats folded flat), up to 28 mpg, and it comfortably seats 6 people.

It all makes sense now. :lol:

The Mazda5 is a quirky little car, very practical and utilitarian!

I'm with ktm on practicality.

I drive a Honda Pilot, BMW E36 M3/4/5, and a Ford E250 bigass van. I will always go for the Pilot first. The van is great because nobody 4ucks with it in traffic(come get some white paint buddy). The BMW is a Sunday driver and part time track car.

I can park someone IN at the parking lot with the van and I don't find a scratch. I put the BMW by itself, in the back lot and someone will pound the doors in.

Middle aged mothers in SUVs can't see the BMW. but they FEAR The VAN. Muwahahahahaaaa.

Little old ladies will pass my van at 90 MPH on the highway and then realize they are speeding the moment they pull back in front of me.

I am installing a train horn on the VAN!!!! and making it my daily driver from now on. Fricking E250 the Ultimate rush hour driving machine.

:lol:

Maybe not the most efficient choice, but I guess you need a tank when it comes to commuting in NC!

I was shopping for a WRX/STI earlier this year and after researching I narrowed my choice down to a '06 WRX because of the displacement increase to 2.5L and the revised front end kinda grew on me but I would prefer any pre '07 STI just for the reliability of the 6-speed tranny and the performance out the box. I know I would have wanted to mod the WRX and the 5-speeds have pretty bad reliability with any power increases. I test drove a '04 STI and it was a really fun car to drive. It felt like a more refined version of my old turbo 240Z.

I was shopping for a WRX/STI earlier this year and after researching I narrowed my choice down to a '06 WRX because of the displacement increase to 2.5L and the revised front end kinda grew on me but I would prefer any pre '07 STI just for the reliability of the 6-speed tranny and the performance out the box. I know I would have wanted to mod the WRX and the 5-speeds have pretty bad reliability with any power increases. I test drove a '04 STI and it was a really fun car to drive. It felt like a more refined version of my old turbo 240Z.

I agree, the '06-'07 nose grew on me as well. Upon first glance it was ugly but it appeals to me more than all other years now. I'd have plenty of fun with a WRX or STI but they're just not the car I'm looking for right now. In case I have to get a more practical car down the road, the '06-'07 WRX wagon will be at the top!

• 1 month later...

I would go for the Z06 as well, if you buy a lower option car you always spend more money making it into something it’s not rather than just buying the model you should have, still love the idea of taking the Ls motor out when you’re done with it. I have driven many E36.46 M3’s love the handling/feeling but don’t ever think I would own one due to Mx issues. S2000 are fun too but if it came down to it the Z06 can’t be beat for performance/money. If it where me I would have to save my pennies for the C6 Zed.

Haven't really followed this thread until now, but I will throw in my 2 cents as far as the Subbies. I bought my daughter a 2007 WRX wagon and WOW it's quick and I like the suspension too(Tokico D Specs). It rides like my Z with my KY's and Suspension Techs springs. Utility with the hatchback and speed from the turbo and great handling. I wish I could compare it to other cars, but don't get to drive too many fun cars like you other guys.

Well, last Saturday I was supposed to check out an '04 S2000 with 55k miles, original owner, in nice shape, and advertised for $12.3k! Well, after exchanging a few emails with him, he never called me. Moving on...

I then set up a couple of appointments to check out a couple of other S2000s in the area, an '03 with 83k miles and '02 with 67k. Both were silver with black interior. I could've picked up the '03 for $10.5 but it had a dent in the bottom of the fender, minor rear main leak and needed new tires/brakes. I could probably get the '02 for $12.5 and it is in pretty good shape, doesn't need anything besides greasing the starter (grinds on startup sometimes). However, it just didn't strike that chord within me. For some reason I didn't get the feeling of "this is exactly what I'm looking for". Frankly, I was very surprised by how I felt! All these years I thought I needed a wingman to stop me from tossing cash at the seller upon first sight.

So the search continues. I've been keeping an eye out for a Z06, and there are some in the area. However, they tend to either be pristine, low mile examples, salvaged titles, or are offered at way over my budget. I haven't driven one yet due to the fact that I'd be wasting my, and the sellers, time.

The M Coupes are tougher to find, but I have checked one out. Those are staying under consideration for the fact that they are awesome cars to look at and drive. As much as I want one, I think it would be more difficult for me to have a nice M Coupe as a daily driver (compared to an S2000) because of the rarity, reliability/age concerns, and not to mention the not-as-great gas mileage.

This is proving to be difficult!

Just one, and only one, word of caution regarding the Z06. I have just recently learned there is a somewhat common (maybe 1-100 or so) issue with the LS6 breaking valve springs. Apparently this problem is exclusive to the LS6 in the C5. Many people are replacing them as a matter of preventative insurance. I wouldn't say this is any kind of a deal breaker but you may want to add this on your list of questions should you find one within your range. FWIW, the forums are saying it's a sub $300 job and takes a leisurely afternoon (with the right spring compressor) to do.

Just one, and only one, word of caution regarding the Z06. I have just recently learned there is a somewhat common (maybe 1-100 or so) issue with the LS6 breaking valve springs. Apparently this problem is exclusive to the LS6 in the C5. Many people are replacing them as a matter of preventative insurance. I wouldn't say this is any kind of a deal breaker but you may want to add this on your list of questions should you find one within your range. FWIW, the forums are saying it's a sub $300 job and takes a leisurely afternoon (with the right spring compressor) to do.

Thanks for the tip! Looks like the '01 Z06 is the only one in my price range, and apparently some of those early ones had oil burning issues. There is an '01 in my area that I may check out, but it won't be realistic unless they can come down on the price quite a bit.

I think I'd love an M Coupe but a well-priced, good condition S2000 may also sway me! The search continues.

Just google search carfax and whatever price you want to pay. Ex: "carfax $5". Make sure you filter the search for the past week.

What kind of car? S2000?

Yes, sir! The S2000 seems to be the best choice for my current situation. I really want an M Coupe, but I think it will have to wait a few years (hoping for that 100% pay raise <_< ). We've settled on a price, but I think it's still a tad high. I feel so nitpicky when looking at cars, but it's worth it in the end.