HybridZ

San Antonio 3.1L Z

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a long time ago but kinda fell out if it when I went knee deep in career. Ive not been to a z meeting In long long time but do think about now and again. I'd honestly prefer a no dues club that encompasses all classic imports since I have a BMW and relation to Volvo.

Yourself?

Arif/Sparky,

Btw...if I need some help installing the motor maybe I can call you guys :-) !!

Hey if you got it out you can sure put it back in! :)

I had my car at the last SA Z car convention, but that was the last event I was at, it's seems to be in pieces more than it's together!

Steve/Sparky

Yeah I'm a member of the local zsport club. If you like different makes then check out the monthly Cars and Coffee the last Saturday of each month.

If you need some help just let me know. I'd love to come check out the ride either way!

• 1 month later...

Making some progress. I've installed the front cover, water pump, damper and turbo oil pump. Since the Damper has the timing marks on the opposite side I filed down my own TDC mark.

I had one engine lift hook and fab'd a second one. Took some pretty thick steel I had laying around, drilled one hole for mounting to the head and another to run a M10 bolt through for lifting. Tony D provided great direction regarding using eye bolts but Granger was closed on Sunday and proceeded this direction. Next up is the Centerforce clutch. Took the flywheel to the machine shop and checked out fine.

post-8997-069100400 1330181637_thumb.jpg

post-8997-005512500 1330181652_thumb.jpg

post-8997-085726100 1330181721_thumb.jpg

post-8997-059355400 1330181738_thumb.jpg

post-8997-014104300 1330181758_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Making steady progress. The motor is now hanging on the engine lift verses the engine stand.

Bolted up the intake manifold and putting the flywheel and clutch on this Saturday.

Had to order the Clutch release fork rubber seal from Gunn last week. Just picked up today.

Is your Z running or working on it?

Steve

Currently running although I can think of a million things I could do on it right now. My new years goal was to only do work I could do in a weekend and make sure it's always running and driving for those rare nice days.

Good to hear the project is coming along, seems like your getting close!

• 6 months later...

Well, after getting the motor in the car I noticed a problem. The machine shop overlooked a broken off stud used to attach the header/exhaust manifold. Crap...I attempted to remove the stud with extractors but no luck and certainly didn't want to screw it up even worse so out came the motor. Removed the head and took it in for repair. Lesson here: Don't assume the machine shop did it 100% correct.

So, motor is back together and thought I'd post a picture of the correct cam timing. Notice the "dash" and the "v" are centered within each other and the motor is on TDC. (My scribe on the damper is slightly off but noted..)

post-8997-078986000 1350675295_thumb.jpg

post-8997-071318900 1350675307_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its been a while. The cold weather is back and I'm back in the garage.

Motor is in and I'm bolting everything back together. Installed the "red" Holley fuel pump and

fuel regulator. Start up day (cross my fingers day) should be right around new years.

Can't wait.....

post-8997-0-13186400-1355973710_thumb.jpg

post-8997-0-79880000-1355973727_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...