HybridZ

San Antonio 3.1L Z

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the electronic issue figured out. The Crane Engine Control Module had an iffy

connection running to the distributor. 

I drove the car to the gas station and blasted around the neighborhood. Geez....What a ton of torque!!!

Totally flat torque curve from 1200 rpm to 5K. Didn't go any higher at this point. Need to continue breaking the motor in. Actually pulls like a muscle car. Awesome!!!!!

Video attached. I'll apologize now for the crappy sideways video.

I rarely use my I Phone for video. You can tell..

I put another up once the motor has a few more miles on it.

Wow...2 1/2 years on this deal.

ss

IMG_0382.wmv

Edited by steve260z

• 4 months later...

Ya, it still is. I can "blip" it down from the drivers seat too. 

I'm going to get a second "helper" spring this week. 

I had problems getting the idle down to something reasonable. Did a bunch of tweaking on that and 

still have that little hang up to fix.

Been tweaking the webers. Got the idle around 900 and idle mixture screws adjusted. Need to sync the carbs. Running well at 

12 degrees BTDC. Plug used to be a bit rich. Looks alot better now. Made about a 15 mile run. 

Just need to remember to screw the K&N filters housing screws tight....Lost one and ran over it......

post-8997-0-14288400-1370199239_thumb.jpg

Steve,

I have been looking at a build like this for a long time but every one seems to believe it will cost 4-5k. In round numbers what do you have in the engine? Just the long block not induction or exhaust. I have 2 cranks currently but would probably go turbo before I spent 5k or more on a stroker...

Charles

Yeah, I see that cost as well.

My numbers:

Block: $250

Head:$150

Crank: $550

Rods: $150

Pistons: $200

Head Gasket: $300

Bearings: $60

Gasket Kit: $60

Machine Work: $500

Stuff I forgot: $600

That's about $2,900 there including the V07. 

That's the most expensive piece and since you have two, use one and

sell the other.

Thanks for the quick reply. In reality I probably have the first 4 items on your list. So it might be possible to build one for less than 2k. I would have that in any other motor I might build maybe more in a turbo motor because I would have to buy pistons (forged). Thanks for the info. Do you plan on any dyno time in the future?

Charles

• 2 weeks later...

Webers are coming along. Just bought 36mm Chokes. Better low end power and smoother running engine. Most of the tuning 

issue are posted on the tripple webers forum page.

I ran a compression test for the 1st time. Pretty pleased. #6 is certainly strong for some reason.

Have about 150 miles on the motor.

#1:170lbs

2: 166

3: 175

4: 168

5: 175

6: 200

steve

• 3 months later...

After searching for a decent price on 240z rear tails lights, I found a set, cleaned them up and installed.

Look great. Installing these on a 260 or 280 requires cutting some metal and getting new gaskets (or making your own which I did).

After looking at many different pictures to deterime the original color for the tail light housings I found "Dupli-Color" at Autozone.

The "Duplicates Original Honda colors" appears to match the original Datsun color right on or at least close enough for me.

Here's video on doing an install:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/111501-video-how-to-install-240z-taillights-into-a-280z/

post-8997-0-94432000-1381085476_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Stroker is getting over 500 miles since the build. Running a lot smoother. The rings and bearings must be settling in.

The plugs still look good. After looking up my distributor, which was a 260 unit, I've swapped it out for a ZX unit with more appropriate

total timing. I've set the timing at 35 degrees and no pinging. I was running around 40 degrees and got pinging at WOT around 3K.

Just need to do more tuning and get the reverse lights working so I can pass inspection.

• 5 months later...

Got the car on the Dyno. Good torque numbers but HP falls off after 4,500. HP is about 150 and Torque is 185. Certainly need an O2 meter.

Spent the day at Harris Hill Raceway

http://harrishillroad.com/

which was rented by the local Z Club. 

Drove the car hard for 45 minutes and no problems!!! Even made it back to San Antonio.

This was by far the toughest test for the motor. I'm beginning to think all is well with the build.

Dyno clean graph.pdf

Steve,

I remember your dyno, it seemed to be a bit rich where it was sputtering. I remember seeing some black smoke too. Have you pulled the plugs since the dyno? You'll be glad you ordered a wideband. Once you have one its hard imagining driving/tuning a modified car without one. You're literally driving blind.

• 8 months later...

Wow.. What a learning curve on DCOE carbs. Huge thanks to Frank at Side Draft Central and the guys at http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/28318-weber-jetsall-who-live-for-their-triples-please-read-this/

Can't thank everyone enough.

So, setting the floats at 25mm and syncing the carbs with the SK tool. Installed a very nice O2 meter and making progress every weekend. 

post-8997-0-28813700-1422148662_thumb.jpg