HybridZ

My 560ZX ( Titan VK56DE powered 280ZX S130 ) Build Thread

Jared

i plan on doing a vk swap in my 77 280z,and i would like to know how u mounted it in.i know this isnt the same car but i figure all info could help.

I used a poly mount for some kind of BMW from Ireland Engineering, stock locations in the Z, and built mounts to connect all that to the VK56.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever get a hood sorted out? If you did can you post pictures, I'm really interested. Thanks

For the hood, I ended up going the route of modifying an OE hood. I cut out the cowled section and raised it about an inch. Right now I need to finish some welding. I will post some pics of it when it gets closer to looking like a hood again.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jared have you seen anything other than dry sump or GTMotorsports for an oil pump upgrade? From what I've seen on the Titan forums and a few others the oil pump gear doesn't seem to last very long if the engine is pushed hard or the rod bearings lose pressure and spin? Any thoughts? Also there's a facebook group VK Nation you should check out/post your car on.

• 4 weeks later...

Jared have you seen anything other than dry sump or GTMotorsports for an oil pump upgrade? From what I've seen on the Titan forums and a few others the oil pump gear doesn't seem to last very long if the engine is pushed hard or the rod bearings lose pressure and spin? Any thoughts? Also there's a facebook group VK Nation you should check out/post your car on.

I haven't seen any upgrades other than those for the VK. I also haven't seen any oil pump failures in these engines. You don't always get the whole story on these failures over the internet, but my experience in seeing these engines every day, is the bearing failures that I've seen are in engines that were repeatedly allowed to run low on oil and/or were sludged from lack of regular oil changes. I reached out to techs I know from other dealers and only found one instance of a VK56 oil pump replacement. It was in a QX56 and due to a stuck pressure valve (not sold separately) causing too high oil pressure. My suspicion is the majority of cases you're seeing were from low oil levels, lack of maintenance, or oil pan modifications. I don't have a Facebook page or I would post there as well. Maybe I'll have the wife do it.

Edited by Jared

• 1 month later...