HybridZ

My 560ZX ( Titan VK56DE powered 280ZX S130 ) Build Thread

Jared

Here is my work in progress S130 560ZX. My goal in this is to have a bad ass Nissan late model V8, that is 100% daily driver friendly(total stock/sleeper look with no loss of daily driveability or creature comforts. I love this engine. It has huge ports, a large bore, over square design, 6 bolt mains, and has been extremely reliable. I also own a Titan. I was also tired of seeing this awesome engine only swapped into purpose built race cars with no driveability or accessories. This car will have cruise, ac, power steering, and all working gauges. I'm a swap purist and believe a Nissan chassis deserves a Nissan engine. Based on what I've seen, this may be the first VK into an S130 as well as the first fully functioning street car/dd VK56.

My warnings to those who would attempt this, it is not a brainless swap. Almost everything is one off and has to be built, fabbed, wired, programmed, etc... I would not recommend this swap in this chassis to anyone but the most knowledgeable. The engine is huge and difficult to fit. Clearance is tight around the accessories. The parts are all unique, and you'll need lots of patience and a place for this time consuming project to live. In retrospect, I should have just done a VQ35DE or RB26DETT, but that wouldn't have been as cool. Pros: big torque, solid engine combo, newer engine. Cons: difficult to get running, expensive, everything has to be fabbed. There are two basic options for this swap: 1-Use all Titan wiring and control units(ECM, BCM, IPDM) Which would also require use of the stock throttle chamber (DBW), pedal, auto trans, ABS, etc...; and 2-Aftermarket standalone ECM allows you to do anything to the engine's manifolding and requires minimal wiring. This also makes it easier to integrate into the vehicle's chassis wiring, as well as use a manual trans.

As far as power train mounting, there is no good spot for this engine in this chassis. You can go for oil pan clearance, lose hood clearance, and have to cut out part of the tunnel to get the drive line angle correct. Or, you can go for hood clearance(although not by a lot), build a lower pan, lay the upper pan almost on the steering rack, and have good drive line angles.

Right now all that I have left(hopefully) to get the car running is to finish the engine harness and integrate it into the S130's EFI harness.

SPECS

-Stock 2006 VK56DE

-Extrudabody Individual throttle bodies

-Custom adapter plate

-Custom engine mounts/trans mount

-Custom lower oil pan

-Stock 350z CD009 6sp trans

-Custom DSS aluminum driveshaft

-AEM 1050U with custom VK56/S130 harness

-CM Twin disc clutch

-Custom crank trigger setup

-Custom driveshaft speedo hall sensor

-Walbro 255lph pump

-Aeromotive Adjustable fpr

-Custom aluminum radiator and electric fan

-All custom fuel, coolant, p/s, a/c hoses, vacuum, clutch line

-Custom RMS fabrication headers

-Custom exhaust

-Lots and lots of misc custom brackets, hoses,etc...

Other vehicle specs:

1983 280ZX GL

DRIVELINE

-Stock R200 rear with new seals, bearings, and LSD

-Freshly rebuilt turbo CV axles and companion flanges

SUSPENSION AND STEERING

-New OE front and rear pads and rotors

-MSA stainless brake lines

-New OE tie rods, ball joints, and boots

-New OE steering rack bushings

-Energy suspension urethane front and rear control arm bushings

-Urethane rear subframe bushings

-New OE rear diff mount

-T3 front tension rods

-Bump steer spacers

-Suspension Techniques swaybars, mounts, urethane bushings

-Tokico struts and springs

-BFG tires/XXR wheels 225/50zr16 255/45ZR16

Z001.jpg

emptyZX.jpg

mounts1.jpg

560z007.jpg

Z002-2.jpg

AChighlow1.jpg

driveshaftInstalled.jpg

ZFuel003.jpg

560z001.jpg

Zheaders001.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice - keep up posted. Any idea of the weight difference from stock?

The Z33 6sp weighs marginally more than the S130 5sp trans(about 25lbs). The engines are much closer to the same weight due to the I6 block being cast iron and the VK being all aluminum.

Buttoned up the body wiring harness(starter, alternator, ac compressor, fans, battery, cruise, temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, etc...) tonight. Hopefully this weekend I can get started on the EFI harness, I've already stripped the L28 section out of it.

Edited by Jared

Very nice!! I loved my titan before it was stolen. If only that swap was legal in ca. Im seriously contemplating a vh45 swap though. Sold my engine so the wheels are turning in my head.

It might be more legal now than before since the M now has a VK56 option.

I recall reading somewhere that the VK56VD in the M is actually derived from the VK50 from the FX50, and has limited similarities to the VK56DE. Whether or not that would impact the registration is something I have no idea bout.

Oh no, did I just spread an internet rumour with no substantive information or confidence? Crap.

Dave

I recall reading somewhere that the VK56VD in the M is actually derived from the VK50 from the FX50, and has limited similarities to the VK56DE. Whether or not that would impact the registration is something I have no idea bout.

Oh no, did I just spread an internet rumour with no substantive information or confidence? Crap.

Dave

From seeing them in their respective cars, the VK50 appears to be a larger displacement VK45, and the VK56VD appears to be a regular VK56DE block with VVEL and DI heads. I have not been inside either engine yet though.