HybridZ
Jared

My 560ZX ( Titan VK56DE powered 280ZX S130 ) Build Thread

That's great news dude! I have a question regarding the ignition triggering on the computer you used:

Does the AEM mind the input signal from the engine? Did you have to reverse what the signal is and document it somehow? If so, would you be willing to share that? I'm concerned about getting mine to speak nicely to the MS3. Many issues before that one, but still, while you're there I figured it can't hurt to ask. :)

Look forward to vids!

Dave

Edited by thehelix112

Very nice!! I loved my titan before it was stolen. If only that swap was legal in ca. Im seriously contemplating a vh45 swap though. Sold my engine so the wheels are turning in my head.

I was certified for smog out in Cali and I can tell you that technically as long as the motor is newer than the car you are putting it in it is a legal swap as long as all the emissions equipment it brought over. That last part is the key, you would have to bring the gas tank from an M and make it fit on the Z. You would also have to probably bring it to a referee and get it okayed by them. There are alot of old civics in Cali that have k20s in them legally. They just had to do alot of cutting to make the rsx tank fit in the back.

I was certified for smog out in Cali and I can tell you that technically as long as the motor is newer than the car you are putting it in it is a legal swap as long as all the emissions equipment it brought over. That last part is the key, you would have to bring the gas tank from an M and make it fit on the Z. You would also have to probably bring it to a referee and get it okayed by them. There are alot of old civics in Cali that have k20s in them legally. They just had to do alot of cutting to make the rsx tank fit in the back.

I was going to mention all this info as well but you beat me to it. The donor vehicle also has to be from the same weight class, so it can't be a F250 for example. I don't remember the exact weight class numbers but I remember it making it very tough to legally put a BBF in a S30.

As to the tank info, you're exactly correct, though I'd like to add a bit of info. The law doesn't specifically say you need to use the donor vehicle tank, it's just that there's sensors and such that are required therefor transferring the tank with such sensors makes sense. THOUGH, you can adapt those sensors to a different tank as long as you do everything needed to make sure the tank meets those emissions requirements. It's a bit of legwork to get all the documentation, but it'll make the ref happy and make for less fabrication work for yourself.

That's definitely something that makes the LS1 conversion even more inviting, is that people use LS1 gas tanks anyways since they fit so nicely.

And back on topic: Updates please! This is a very sweet swap and I'm looking forward to seeing more about it.

Here's an update. I know it's been a while, but life did get in the way of this build for a while.

Anyway, I had to redo the cooling system because the engine sits higher than the radiator in the car. Also, haven't had time to fix the speedo yet. I am back on the hood. Trying to make the air cleaners fit under a hood of some sort.

FD7839BD-A0E7-47C0-BB53-B116E35238EF-10080-0000048FEF16118D.jpg

i plan on doing a vk swap in my 77 280z,and i would like to know how u mounted it in.i know this isnt the same car but i figure all info could help.

I used a poly mount for some kind of BMW from Ireland Engineering, stock locations in the Z, and built mounts to connect all that to the VK56.

Did you ever get a hood sorted out? If you did can you post pictures, I'm really interested. Thanks

For the hood, I ended up going the route of modifying an OE hood. I cut out the cowled section and raised it about an inch. Right now I need to finish some welding. I will post some pics of it when it gets closer to looking like a hood again.