HybridZ

Base model 280zx project

BluDestiny

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably could use the stock one, but might as well go aftermarket. I bought the FPR separately.

I wouldn't have had nearly the amount of money to get it together without selling my 260z. And it's still not painted.

Got the fuel rail from cockerstar, but pallnet also makes them.

Cost of redoing my fuel system:

$150 for rail and rail fittins

$120 for the FPR

$60 in misc AN fittings

$50 for the SS line

$25 for an AN fuel filter

so like $400ish. If you stick with just rubber lines you can save about $100 in fittings and cost of the line.

You probably could use the stock one, but might as well go aftermarket. I bought the FPR separately.

I wouldn't have had nearly the amount of money to get it together without selling my 260z. And it's still not painted.

Got the fuel rail from cockerstar, but pallnet also makes them.

Cost of redoing my fuel system:

$150 for rail and rail fittins

$120 for the FPR

$60 in misc AN fittings

$50 for the SS line

$25 for an AN fuel filter

so like $400ish. If you stick with just rubber lines you can save about $100 in fittings and cost of the line.

Very cool! I will check into that stuff, I might also look into building my own. I need to research the pressure the system needs to run right, i have a couple regulators but they are for some of my old v8 carburetor fuel systems. They will work at high pressure, just not sure how well. Might need to do some more research!!

I love research... Should have some pics of my ZX up pretty soon.

D~

• 2 weeks later...

Got some Swastikas to throw on for around town commuting. Sucks because I'm just trying them out and I need to take them off again on Saturday for the AutoX this weekend :(

A big con was that when I first put the front on, the tire rubbed on the coilover collars, wtf man. so I had to raid the front by about an inch and a half to make sure they clear. Another con is they look like crap.

A pro is that they are wayyyyy lighter than the DRW so it actually feels quicker. And I get better gas mileage.

PICT0018.jpg

PICT0021.jpg

PICT0022.jpg

I have gold on one side adn black/grey on the other. Total cost of rims with new tires was about $400 so I'm not really complaining.

Might be able to see the horrible gap these rims create

PICT0017.jpg

My steamrollers

PICT0020-1.jpg

This is why I needed some stockers, if you look at the inside (right) I have some bad camber wear from it being lowered not even by that much. I've only had these tires on the car for 4000 ish miles. Total miles on these tires is probably under 6000, if not 5000.

PICT0019-1.jpg

Edited by BluDestiny

• 3 weeks later...

Update time. Oil cooler time

Got a complete oilcooler setup from autospot. It was in great condition but the main thing I was interested in was the adapter/sandwich plate.

First step was getting fittings and a bigger oil cooler.

WP_000173.jpg

Install was easy, take off the oil filter, use vice grips to take the oil nipple out, install sandwich plate, done.

WP_000178.jpg

Made a custom bracket for the new oil cooler to position it in front of my radiator. Used some thin aluminum bar and ran it from the top rad support to the bottom with a 90 degree bend. Bolted on so I could remove it.

WP_000177.jpg

The lines came out nice, ran them along the frame rail. Had to widen the AC line hole to make it look a bit nicer.

Here's how the lines turned out:

WP_000180.jpg

WP_000179.jpg

WP_000181.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What do you mean thermal plate? Like something to keep the hot air from the oil cooler from going into my rad?

So today I went AutoXing again and they recognized me and my car ( I still wanted to run novice and it was only my third time). They laughed at the fact that I was in novice and was outrunning quite a few cars today.

I'm now going to have to run in B street Prepared (BSP) because of my coilovers. This means I'll need a little more power, and what better way to make that happen than with a stock turbo transplant.

Gird your loins for updates.....

Thermal plate doesn't flow oil to the cooler until the oil gets up to temperature (say 180 deg) It's not your oil pressure but oil flow that is important. You need to get the oil to where it is needed to lubricate parts to keep them from wearing. The viscosity of your oil drops as it's heated and it's not until it's up to temp that it's working optimally. The cooler will protect the oil and increase it's life as well as helping to manage engine temps by mainainting the 180 deg optimal temp. Without the thermal plate it will take much longer to get your oil to the operating temperature you want it to be running at. It works in a similar manner to your thermostat in your car but for a different purpose.

• 2 months later...

Its been a while, and I've only gotten a few things done. Painted the sideskirts, front end, and my fenders satin black. Only looks bad because the rest of the car is grey or white.

Fiberglass stuff

WP_000248.jpg

Bunch of crap inside the fenders, gross it had been hot and sunn for about a week prior and this stuff was still moist.

WP_000247.jpg

The red fender really got to me

WP_000249.jpg

Painted

WP_000250.jpg

And the half finished product

WP_000251.jpg

WP_000252.jpg

I'm planning on doing the entire roof and rear end as soon as tropical storm debby lets up. Its been raining nonstop for like a week.

• 2 weeks later...

I just used some Krylon satin black, and the rear wing is the ZX-R homologation wing. Its a real urethane one, I believe just over 1000 were made ( 1009 iirc). I hate the fiberglass repros that MSA sells because they don't have the break in the middle like this one does. Downside is that it weighs like 25#.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK sooooo some things have changed. First things first is my whole debacle where my car was not running right.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/108168-dies-on-start-without-gas-1980-280zx-na/

Turned out the diaphragm in my aeromotive FPR was torn and was leaking fuel into the intake, great.

WP_000011.jpg

So I ordered one and swapped it in. Ran great. 6 hours later I started my cross country drive back home to Los Angeles. This was August 9th

First day I drove 15 hours, with like 4 hours for breaks (eating, stretching, bathroom, gas etc..). No problems and I thought I was doing good. Stopped just before Houston TX to sleep for the night.

Wake up the next day at 7am to start off and I go through my checklist: Tire pressure, leaking fluids/puddles/ start her up and wait for sounds etc...Well I checked the tread on my tires since I knew they were wearing down on the inside. They had worn down so much in the 1100 miles I drove that they were cupping ( on the inside) and the deep parts were showing chord. Yeah wasn't gonna be finishing the trip on those. Called around tires shops and found a discount tire about an hour away that had a pair of Falken Azenies that would fit the rear. They were 255/50/16. They also had a set to replace the front (225/50/16) so I decided to buy a full set and keep the fronts to sell to my friend when I got back.

WP_000022.jpg

As I was travelling though texas, temps got up to 110* in some areas. In fact around 3 pm when I pulled off to a gas station my car just died. Couldn't start it at the stop sign, so I got out and pushed it into the gas station. Put some gas in and cleaned the windshield and it started, but there was a bad whirring sound coming from the fuel pump. so I parked it in the shade and let it cool off for about an hour. started up and it stopped making that sound, so I took off. I made it to about 150 miles outside of El Paso, right after it got dark, and then it happened.

I was trying to pass someone and as I was passing them a rock came out of nowhere on my lane. Couldn't switch so I lined it up and took it. Busted the hell out of my front end

WP_000026.jpg

I was super pissed. the turn signal housing actually started to drag about 2 hours later as I would find out when border patrol asked me what happened. I do most of the traveling at night when its cool, since I'm worried about the fuel pump. Haven't had a problem while it was cold though so I thought nothing of it.

I take a nap and make it to Pheonix AZ at 10am ( it's already over 100 by that time) and when I pull off the freeway, bam, car dies. get stuck in a major intersection, pull of as much as I could to let traffic pass and let it sit. Notify my uncle I'm in town with a broke down car. Right before he shows up I get it started, drive it to a parking lot and shut it off. They show up and I tell him about it and we agree to let it sit. Well when we come back it starts, but it makes it about half a block before it dies at a stoplight. So I figure the fuel pump is dead. We stop by an autozone and pick one up. Thankfully my Uncle paid. Swap that in and bam it works fine, but a dust storm has shown up so I get to spend the night at my Uncles. Leave at 3am and make it back to LA Sunday morning August 12th. Not to bad, but my fastest time yet and it would have been faster if my fuel pump hadn't gone out. At this point that engine, has made it cross country 7 times, and 2 times for the car.

So while I'm back I decide to look for a new front to replace my smashed up one. I end up getting new headlight buckets with covers, stock front bumper, and a front lip. Just got that on this morning actually. Here are some pics:

WP_000052.jpg

WP_000054-1.jpg

Now I look just like every other 280zx -_- Oh well.