HybridZ
cygnusx1

Weber DCOE Linkage - custom billet

cygnusx1    12

So after much peer pressure, I have decided to make some limited runs of my 6061 T6 billet aluminum Weber DCOE linkage.

These are HAND MADE with a sawzall, vise, small drill press, hand taps, and bench grinder. Eventually, I may go mass production with them, but for now I can keep down the low volume price by making them the old fashioned way, one at a time.

The first linkage set was on my 240Z, which I got a ton of interest wherever I went. I just finished making a second set, which is being tested right now. Once the set is finalized, in the next day or two, it will be available at an introductory price of $155 for a triple DCOE setup. Included are three billet horizontal crank arms, three billet vertical push links, machine bolts, brass washers, and all hardware. I will be also offering a Choke Cable Reversing (CCR Link) that will definitely work on Cannon manifolds, and maybe other's (TBD). The link will allow the use of one of your factory choke cable lines, to activate the Weber cold start circuits. That link will retail for $25.

I set these up two years ago and have never had to go back and adjust them. From designing and building automated manufacturing equipment, I have learned the the less adjustments you have, the better they stay in tune.

INSTALL:

To install, slide the Datsun throttle torque rod back to the firewall, and slide the horizontals onto the rod. Install all the shoulder bolts, washers, and the included three jam nuts at the Weber throttle arm. Use of blue, or red locktite is mandatory on all threads. (full instructions with photos will be posted later)

SETUP:

To set these up, you loosen the three horizontal linkage clamps, synch the carbs with their throttle stop screws, and then tighten the three linkage clamps in position with an allen key. DONE. Use of an auxiliary return spring is highly recommended, as usual with any Weber setup.

Here is the original prototype set on my 240Z:

822812318_vJKSm-XL.jpg

Here is the retail kit currently in testing (3 brass thrust spacers not shown):

IMG0127-XL.jpg

$155 for a Triple Carb set.

$25 for a CCR Link (choke cable reverser) not shown.

+shipping from 10579 (USPS Priority).

Sets will be made to order so please allow 3 to 5 days between order and shipment. PAYPAL only.

THANKS,

Dave

**If you have a different manifold, different carbs, let me know if you want to test a set for me at a discounted rate.

Edited by cygnusx1

cygnusx1    12

Thanks.  I have used clamping to fasten MANY things in machine design.  Clamping to a solid shaft  is a VERY strong connection.  It is VERY unlikely that these will slip, once tightened.   If the full linkage path is set correctly, from the pedal to the butterflies, they will never see more force than the internal carburetor springs, anyhow.  Weber also uses clamping in their stamped steel arms if that clarifies anything.  These will clamp tighter than the Weber kit, stamped steel links. 

Edited by cygnusx1

cygnusx1    12

I know you guys were instructed not to comment on pricing, but is this set too expensive? I have a four sets ready now. One set is not available because it is being used as a test part for development. I want to make it more universal by including some spacers, and maybe a clamp collar to help locate the throttle rod fore and aft. If the throttle shaft is allowed to slide around, the linkage will not work well. It needs to stay vertical.

When I installed mine, I offset-bent the Weber throttle arms, so I could properly use the linkage against the Heim joints to keep the rod secure. Alternative to bending the Weber arms, you could flip the upper links to the other side (see photo, part highlighted in purple), and use a supplied locking collar or spacer to keep the 8mm throttle rod located.

830740936RaFCA-O-X2.jpg

It was very easy to setup. With the linkage clamps loose, I synched the carbs using their idle stop screws, by looking down through the progression holes, and then by ear. Once it was all set, I held the links in place with some light tension, and tightned the clamps. Done.

Edited by cygnusx1

Leon    35

Dave,

I like your linkage, so when it comes time for me to update mine I will consider this option. Do you use auxiliary return springs in your setup?

As far as pricing goes, you do have some competition since new linkage kits tend to go for $130 or so.

Pierce Manifolds is an example, although it is "universal" and not Z-car specific like yours.

Edited by Leon

cygnusx1    12

My kit is pretty much a replacement for that kit.  Mine is much more rigid, with billet uppers and lowers, joined by heavy machine shoulder bolts...and looks cooler. :D    Mine adjusts from the clamp only.  I do use an auxiliary return spring on my personal setup.     It is required for any track events, and peace of mind.  I found that even with new carbs, with no linkage on them at all, they all have trouble returning to idle if you close them gently. I experimented with this.  It's very easy to chack my linkage for binding, one carb at a time.  Just loosen the clamp and move it up and down.  Or, you can take out the upper or lower shoulder bolt and feel for binding.  If they are installed parallel, vertical, and the weber link arms are not bent, you will not get binding with my linkage.  All that said, I am considering lowering the price a bit.

Leon    35

The more I look at yours, the more I like it! :2thumbs:

The solid links between the long actuator rod and the Weber throttle arms eliminates any slop there. There should be no concerns of off-idle sync given that you hold a tight tolerance on the lengths of your machined links. If their lengths are all equal, then you have a tight linkage which should never get out of sync, when properly installed.

Dumb question, but I assume that you tested to make sure that the geometry of the arms completely opens the throttles?

I'm thinking $140-150 shipped should be a competetive price.

Leon    35

Well, yes, I tested that they open the butterflies all the way, plus some more, based on the amount of rotation provided by the factory S30 linkage. It's up to the installer to setup the pedal stop once everything is buttoned up.

I thought you would, just making sure all the bases are covered! ;)

cygnusx1    12

I put together an install guide for these. It should be pretty easy to figure out but it's always nice to see a guide. There are some important points in the guide, that I wanted to drive home, so read it! ;)

CygnusX1 DCOE Linkage Installation 12-21-11.pdf

Edited by cygnusx1

cygnusx1    12

I haven't looked at the Mikuni's for fitment so I can't confirm. I am currently out of stock. I will be making more sets in a few weeks. If you can post a closeup photo of the stock Mikuni linkage setup, I may be able to answer the fitment question. If it looks close, I could send you a link to test.

TRIPLZ    1

I haven't looked at the Mikuni's for fitment so I can't confirm. I am currently out of stock. I will be making more sets in a few weeks. If you can post a closeup photo of the stock Mikuni linkage setup, I may be able to answer the fitment question. If it looks close, I could send you a link to test.

OK Great! I'll take photos tonight and send them. Please PM me your email address so I can send them to you direct.

cygnusx1    12

Wow for some reason I didn't see this. The problem I see is the connection at the carb bell crank. Those have a link-ball on the bell crank. My linkage uses a screw that has to pass through the bell crank. You would either need to remove the link-balls if possible, or switch to a weber style bell crank that has a through hole for a 10-32 or 6mm diameter screw.

If you look at my install guide, a few posts up, you will see what I mean.

Edited by cygnusx1

cygnusx1    12

BUMP. ;)

Four fresh sets on the bench this weekend!

SPECIAL PRICE Expires at the end of June 2012: $125 shipped Paypal for three linkages to fit Triple DCOE's on Canon intakes.

TBD: Also testing a set on Mikuni manifold with Weber DCOE's.

PM me for payment info.

IMG0127-L.jpg