HybridZ

Ignition Wiring problems; no spark

just swapped everything into a new shell.

wiring everything using painless; i got the motor to crank.

I have a procomp distributor im using, theres a plug with three wires coming out the side of it. a black, a red, and an orange. the diagram says to run the red to the (+) coil (using an msd blaster 3), the orange to the (-) coil, and black to ground (ive connected this to the battery (-). I have ignition hot wire intervated at the red wire to the (+) coil. Coil gets hot with ignition on, but i'm not getting any spark. Im not sure which procomp distributor I have, but it does not have a timing vaccuum advance. I also have a ground wire from the coil to the (-) battery, grounding the coil.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I initially had a procomp amp ignition box but have ditched that in order to simplify my ignition problem; just want to run distributor and coil for now.

ANY help would be awesome, I'm stuck and its delaying the starting of my long project.

Coil gets hot with ignition on, but i'm not getting any spark.

I also have a ground wire from the coil to the (-) battery, grounding the coil.

Remove the ground wire from coil (-) to the battery negative post. Leave the orange one, if that's what the instructions instruct. Your coil is getting hot because you have it grounded all of the time, and you're not getting spark because the circuit is never broken. The ignition module controls grounding and circuit breaking, to cause the coil to spark.

• 4 weeks later...

I would just get an msd6al box if my memory is correct, the white wire out of the msd will go to orange on dizy red will go to a switched on and black to ground i belive the hot wire for the 240z coil is blak with a white srtripe. you can use this for the dizy and the msd box. Those procomp dizzys are garbadge anyways, my best advise would be to toss it and get a msd unit i would guess that having it hooked up wrong fried the internals anyways.

I would just get an msd6al box if my memory is correct, the white wire out of the msd will go to orange on dizy red will go to a switched on and black to ground i belive the hot wire for the 240z coil is blak with a white srtripe. you can use this for the dizy and the msd box. Those procomp dizzys are garbadge anyways, my best advise would be to toss it and get a msd unit i would guess that having it hooked up wrong fried the internals anyways.