HybridZ

2 4 0 Z L S 1

Made the rear section of the support/tie in plate for the rocker panel.  

IMG 0168

IMG 0169

IMG 0170

IMG 0171

IMG 0172

IMG 0174

Worked on making a replacement sheet metal section for the seat belt mechanism. Need to work on it a little more, but good for the most part. I needed to know the shape of the rocker panel where the replacement section meets up to it, so I temporarily clamped the inner rocker panel on.  It isnt trimmed for a final fitment yet.

IMG 0178

IMG 0179

IMG 0181

IMG 0183

IMG 0184

IMG 0193

IMG 0195

IMG 0196

Small update, not much accomplished.

cut some more rust out on the front side of the floor. 

IMG 0198

IMG 0200

As I thought, the front frame isnt any good.  Looks like ill have to make new frame rails. Thought about buying them but after seeing how poorly fitted the Bad Dog floor rails fit, I am assuming the same for the front engine bay frame rails by whoever its made by.

IMG 0207

IMG 0208

IMG 0209

Got the support plates welded in. So I made these out of 18g cold rolled steel when the factory thickness is 22g. Oh well, as long as my welds penetrated, which they did.

IMG 0211

IMG 0215

IMG 0217

IMG 0219

IMG 0220

IMG 0225

IMG 0232

Inner and Outer rocker panels fitted in place and trimmed.  Still need to add the seat belt hole and nut on the inner rocker panel and get these suckers coated before welding. But before i do that, I need to do small repairs in various areas, however I need 22g metal. Will buy some tomorrow.

IMG 0236

IMG 0241

IMG 0242

IMG 0247

IMG 0249

IMG 0252

IMG 0253

IMG 0250

Tomorrow I will be buying some metal to support the front of the car for working on the frame, sheet metal to make the frame rail, doing small repairs and floor pans.  Decided to make my own floor pans.

Edited by disepyon

Looks about what my repair looked like on the outer rockers. Wish I'd had your pictures this past summer, would have saved me a lot of trouble haha! Some great work here. 

Yeah pictures definitely helped me along the way from browsing around the interweb, although I have a couple of restore datsun books I never used nor looked at. Now that I think about it, I may just go grab them and browse through them, might provide some helpful stuff.

More pictures of miscellaneous repairs.  Should be it for the rocker panel area. I left extra material for the outer wheel well section on purpose just in case I need to weld more material or reshape it in the future for when its time to work on the rear quarter panel. Not too worried nor trying to be a perfectionist in smoothing out the welds. wont be seeing this part of the car and will be coated in a black color. Also I dont have a tool with a precise and fine enough edge to grind in some areas either.

IMG 0288

IMG 0290

IMG 0291

IMG 0292

IMG 0295

IMG 0306

IMG 0307

IMG 0310

IMG 0312

So the Tabco outer rocker panel had a crack in it, guess is it formed due to that area being too thin and stressed out since these are pressed when made I am also guessing.  Just glad I caught that and fixed it. Best I could do in getting the welds to smooth out. I may go back over it with my tig torch to even out the weld but I really dont care, thats what body filler is for, to fine tune it.

IMG 0280

IMG 0281

IMG 0286

IMG 0287

Picture of the simple 1/8" thick plate with a nut welded for the seat belt. Sprayed some Bloxide aluminized weldable primer before I weld it tomorrow.

IMG 0308

In awe at this project...

makes me feel that i'm doing mine way wrong lol Nice Job!

Thanks, I'm sure there are a lot of things not correct with mine if you were to ask a professional.  This is all new to me which is why my progress is so slow for the rust repair.

POR15 and rust preventive coating/weldable primer put on.  Hate the spray can when spraying the primer on, should had bought by the gallon and brush it on, would be a lot cleaner.

IMG 0341

IMG 0340

IMG 0339

IMG 0342

IMG 0343

IMG 0345

IMG 0346

Finally all welded up, feels super stiff.

IMG 0348

IMG 0349

IMG 0350

I wanted to see how bad the front frame was in the area that was compromised by rust. I cut out the rusted sheet metal that is part of the drive side engine bay. You can kind of see it in this picture.

IMG 0355

Edited by disepyon

Made the roller frame today. Just kind of made it as I worked on it. I may or may not add in supports directly to the engine bay strut towers. It is pretty stout the way it is. Didnt want anything inside the engine bay/around the frame since that will be the area of focus.  Just wish I did this before working on the car, so much room when it sets high like that.

IMG 0359

IMG 0361

IMG 0363

IMG 0368

IMG 0370

IMG 0371

Consider keeping the auto transmission and installing a steering wheel paddle shifter kit. I haven't seen anyone do that before. You'll be better off for drag racing, it will be easier on your drivetrain (axles and diff) and you will be doing something totally unique to this forum. You'd have lots of hits on your project because lots of folks will want to see how it goes for you. You really need to go back to your donor car and try to get the wiring harness, computer, data port, radiator fans, fuel tank and fuel pumps, and as much wiring as possible.

I'm doing that as we speak. Bought a big turbo, sold the T-56, picked up a 4L80e. I have not ordered the paddle shifter or controller yet

Serious fantastic work right there. I would proud of the small patched I had to make in my car but I cannot compare to you skills. Wish I had the know how and skill to make a few of those panels.

Thanks, sheet metal work is new to me, but welding is something I have known for a while, believe me I still have a lot to learn.

Drive side engine bay frame and floor pan frame off. Had to take off the bottom portion of the radiator support because the front of the frame curves outward. Just realized how much I hate removing spot welds.

IMG 0372

IMG 0374

IMG 0378

IMG 0384

IMG 0388

IMG 0390

IMG 0392

IMG 0400

IMG 0403

IMG 0404

A picture of the passenger side frame looking inside. Looks to be in worse shape than the driver side.

IMG 0382

I am actually looking forward to making this, looks pretty simple to make...hopefully

Edited by disepyon

So the Tabco outer rocker panel had a crack in it, guess is it formed due to that area being too thin and stressed out since these are pressed when made I am also guessing.  Just glad I caught that and fixed it. Best I could do in getting the welds to smooth out. I may go back over it with my tig torch to even out the weld but I really dont care, thats what body filler is for, to fine tune it.

Glad I saw this. I just checked my Tabco replacement rocker, and it has the same defect. Might be worth contacting them about if it's a common issue.

Glad I saw this. I just checked my Tabco replacement rocker, and it has the same defect. Might be worth contacting them about if it's a common issue.

Yeah I would think some one would had noticed besides you and me. I may contact them about it.

My work is going to keep me busy for awhile which means ill be spending less time on this project. Hopefully I will have the energy to nibble at this a little each day. 

• 4 weeks later...

Small update, not much accomplished.

Started on the driver side Front frame rail today.  This was made out of CRS 16g sheet metal.  Still needs some work but thats what it will pretty much look like. Will be adding in a stiffening/support plate that will run along the whole length of the frame rail.  

IMG 0001

IMG 0011

IMG 0012

IMG 0015

IMG 0017

partially kind of put on the car to see what it will look like, seems like it will fit good.

IMG 0019

IMG 0021

IMG 0022

Friend called me over to his place to discuss getting some stuff fabricated on a couple of his cars. Every time I go to his house, he has a new toy to add to his collection. Its like attending a car show at his house. He has more cars at his airplane hanger. Another friend was there as well and wants to get some stuff fabricated for his BMW 135i.  

IMG 0025

IMG 0026

IMG 0027

IMG 0028

IMG 0029

IMG 0030

IMG 0033

IMG 0034

IMG 0035

IMG 0036

IMG 0037

IMG 0038

IMG 0039

IMG 0040

IMG 0041

IMG 0043

IMG 0046

Anyone know what bolts on top of the driver side frame rail at the front? There are a couple of holes there with nuts welded on the back side. I cant remember what goes there.  I know the tow hook bolts to the bottom, but unsure what goes on top.

Edited by disepyon

Worked on the frame a little more today.  Had to notch the front part of it so the radiator can fit.  I notched it out just a little bit more than stock to allow more clearance.  Also filled it that triangular hole on the bottom side. 

IMG 0055

IMG 0056

IMG 0052

IMG 0049

IMG 0053

IMG 0054

Really enjoying this build thread, the skills some people have on here is fantastic including yours.

Quick question, that wouldn't be a radiator out of a late model Stang would it?

Cheers

John

Thanks,

The radiator is supposed to be for a 1970 Pontiac Firebird-Trans.  Bought it back in 2014 for $365 shipped from PWR with the manufacturing date of 2011.  Since it didnt come with any brackets welded on, it will allow me to create my own to fit the Z, which is what I wanted.  I think PWR does that on purpose since they know everyone whom buys these will fit slightly different for their setups. If i remember, most of the rads they sell dont come with brackets.  I bought this exact radiator due to the dimensions so it would fit in between the frame rails and not hang down so low.  Now that I am doing all this fab work on the body/frame, kind of wish I had gotten a wider radiator, oh well though, still plenty of rad for my setup.

IMG 0444

IMG 0445

IMG 0446

IMG 0447

IMG 0448

Thanks for the heads up

I have a similar problem due to the chassis I'm fabricating and installing and had to look for an alternative that will match inlet and return pipes of the AMG V6 and fit inside the new restricted area.

Mine will have to sit above the rails but can take up the full width inside the support area so I'm going with a Mishimoto 3 core radiator designed for a 1979-1983 5.0L Mustang 

Overall Size: 27.5" x 18" x 2.55"

Cheers

John

post-15669-0-50711100-1459636785_thumb.jpg