HybridZ

Steering Column swap

afbrian13

I'm thinking of swapping out my column for one with a tilt and telescoping wheel, mostly to make getting in and out easier. Anybody ever do this? Can anyone think of some older(can be in a junkyard) cars that came with these? Are there any cars with the same size spline as our Z cars? I think I might have to wonder around the J/Y for a bit. Let ya know If I find anything.

Brian

I'm thinking of swapping out my column for one with a tilt and telescoping wheel, mostly to make getting in and out easier. Anybody ever do this? Can anyone think of some older(can be in a junkyard) cars that came with these? Are there any cars with the same size spline as our Z cars? I think I might have to wonder around the J/Y for a bit. Let ya know If I find anything.

Brian

I installed a steering column out of a 2002 TransAm. It is a tilt column but not telescopic. It had what is called a Double D column connection. I ended up rerouting the entire steering linkage set up along the top of the frame rail and then dropping down into the subaru PS rack. I transitioned from the Double D end of the steering column to a splined set up. I utilized a vibration isolator, several ujoints, and two radial bearings to prevent looping in the steering shart.

Check out the 1981-84 Maxima column (see pic below). It has the same spline diameter as the S30 shafts.

I once saw a 240Z with a Z31 (tilt) column installation at a car show. But since the Z31 has a larger spline diameter there must has been an adapter in between the S30 rack and the end of the Z31 column.

post-237-077861700 1323787632_thumb.jpg

I was thinking of the maximas column since that style max is a 280zx with a different body on it. i suppose the stock Z wheel would go right on there too, just be abe to tilt? That would be great becaus eI really don't want a small wheel without power steering.

mpramsey-I've thought of doing a PS swap and routing the shaft like that, plus it would clear a nice 4.6 v8 header very well.:-)

Thanks for the ideas.

Brian