HybridZ

Exhaust options for sbc with shorty headers

It is the last thing my car needs, but unfortunately I am all tapped out financially. I have called several exhaust shops and have received quotes in the ballpark of 400-600 dollars for a custom set up. I wouldn't mind running side pipes if it were cheaper either. Would it be cheaper just to purchase a custom exhaust kit and tack weld it together and have it sent out to be welded completely?

I guess what I am asking is, based on everyone's experience, what is the most affordable/easiest way to run the exhaust on these cars with this set up?

for my 383 with my T-56 the cheapest thing I found to do was get block huggers with a dual 2.5'' coming into a y at the diff then going to a 3'' out the stock location with a super 40 out the back whole set up cost me 300 bucks just ask around your local exhaust shop for a quote an try to talk them down but with descent welding and pipe for a local parts store you can easily make your own

post-18426-052826300 1324937746_thumb.jpg

post-18426-070911500 1324937792_thumb.jpg

Edited by surpip

I recently build a z exhaust system with a v8 (350cid) for a friend of mine.

used block higger headers with dual 2-1/2 pipes to a Y-pipe to a single 3 inch pipe to a dynomax super turbo muffler. Use my welder and mandrel bent pipe and Y-pipe from summit racing. cheap to do it yourself (if you have a welder).

But it sounded really bad in the car. (lots of drone). So, I installed a h-pipe right after the trans and added dynomax bullet mufflers on each side before going into the Y-pipe. Had to move the Y-pipe all the way back to the rear diff. After these changes the exhaust sounded great on the inside and the outside.

Next time I would use 2-1/4 dual into a 3 inch single or dual 2-1/2 into a single 3-1/2 inch pipe, as these areas are the same.

I recently build a z exhaust system with a v8 (350cid) for a friend of mine.

Used block higger headers with dual 2-1/2 pipes to a Y-pipe to a single 3 inch pipe to a dynomax super turbo muffler. Use my welder and mandrel bent pipe and Y-pipe from summit racing. Cheap to do it yourself (if you have a welder).

But it sounded really bad in the car. (lots of drone). So, I installed a h-pipe right after the trans and added dynomax bullet mufflers on each side before going into the Y-pipe. Had to move the Y-pipe all the way back to the rear diff. After these changes the exhaust sounded great on the inside and the outside.

Also used some exhaust flex joints right after the headers to reduce vibration.

Next time I would use 2-1/4 dual into a 3 inch single or dual 2-1/2 into a single 3-1/2 inch pipe, as these areas are the same.

Edited by Pyro

Sounds fairly similar to what I did with mine there is hardly any drone with my set up but I do have the cut outs open more than I’d like to admit but is sounds great with them closed, except for the fact that on the dyno it loses 30HP with them closed.

It is the last thing my car needs, but unfortunately I am all tapped out financially. I have called several exhaust shops and have received quotes in the ballpark of 400-600 dollars for a custom set up. I wouldn't mind running side pipes if it were cheaper either. Would it be cheaper just to purchase a custom exhaust kit and tack weld it together and have it sent out to be welded completely?

I guess what I am asking is, based on everyone's experience, what is the most affordable/easiest way to run the exhaust on these cars with this set up?

Give Todd at Exhaust Works (in Belmont) a call. He knows what he's doing and is a one-man show so his overhead is low, thus his prices are the best I've seen. He did a twice pipe exhaust (L24) on my Z last summer for $300! His number is 650-591-7062.