HybridZ

'77 280 engine stall

I have a 77 280 all stock w/ fuel injection. Sometimes it runs fine, but most of the time it starts to skip & pop followed by stalling out. If I mash the petal to the floor it will cut off right away. if I half pump the petal it spits & pops blowing black smoke that sticks to the rearend. The fuel injectors are fine, new mass air meter, fuel pump & presure are fine. If it sits 10 to 15 minutes it will restart. I did raise the hood & move the hoses around & it restarted yesterday. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!! Nobody can figure it out & I am tired of the tow bills and the no fix it just more money. Thanks in advance!

When does it "start to skip and pop"? Describe a typical scenario, from starting cold to driving (how long before the problem occurs, is the engine warm, etc.), then what you were typically doing (accelerating, high RPM, ???) just before it started skipping and popping. Details are good.

Fuel filter dirty? Have you cleaned out the tank? How do you know the injectors are fine. Also did you get the correct AFM for your year? I believe the early ones have a different pin arrangement then the later ones. How about the fuel pressure regulator? The stock fuel dampner can have issues as well.

Download the factory service manual and troubleshoot it.

When does it "start to skip and pop"? Describe a typical scenario, from starting cold to driving (how long before the problem occurs, is the engine warm, etc.), then what you were typically doing (accelerating, high RPM, ???) just before it started skipping and popping. Details are good.

Sometimes after I would drive it to a store & cut it off, when I went to crank, it would run very rough blowing black smoke. After a few minutes of gently pumping the pedal, it would run smooth. Of late it does not matter if it is cold or been on the road for a half hour, suddenly it will loose power & start the skipping mess w/ the black smoke. The injectors are new & everything adjusted. Gauges on the fuel pump says things are fine. The afm was replaced & the second time I drove it problem was back. The guy working on it was the main Z guy years ago at the dealership. He is clueless.

Fuel filter dirty? Have you cleaned out the tank? How do you know the injectors are fine. Also did you get the correct AFM for your year? I believe the early ones have a different pin arrangement then the later ones. How about the fuel pressure regulator? The stock fuel dampner can have issues as well.

Download the factory service manual and troubleshoot it.

The only thing that has not been done is clean the tank. It sat at the body shop over a year, hence the new injectors etc. I ask if junk could be sucked up from the tank clogging things up then settling back & everyone tells me that can't happen w/ this car. I am just an idiot but I think it can happen. If I were to clean it , is there an easy way other than dropping the tank?

Ask your Z guy if he has checked the TPS. It might be shorting to the "wide open" full fuel enrichment position. That would dump a lot of fuel.

Could be the Cold start injector as well, Its been a while since I messed with the stock fuel injection.

The only thing that has not been done is clean the tank. It sat at the body shop over a year, hence the new injectors etc. I ask if junk could be sucked up from the tank clogging things up then settling back & everyone tells me that can't happen w/ this car. I am just an idiot but I think it can happen. If I were to clean it , is there an easy way other than dropping the tank?

That can definitely happen to you car its happened to others, the inside of your tank can rust and flakes could get sucked up into the supply inlet. The tank probably isn't your issue since the black smoke points to a rich problem not a lean problem but it wouldn't hurt to drop the tank and get it recoated and cleaned out.

Edited by 19762802+2

Could be the Cold start injector as well, Its been a while since I messed with the stock fuel injection.

That can definitely happen to you car its happened to others, the inside of your tank can rust and flakes could get sucked up into the supply inlet. The tank probably isn't your issue since the black smoke points to a rich problem not a lean problem but it wouldn't hurt to drop the tank and get it recoated and cleaned out.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!