HybridZ

Progress of my 83 280ZX

yarddogg77

Hello, new here. I just came over from Zcars.com cause of site problems. I had a thread going there for the build of my car so I wanted to continue that tradition here. Haven't decided if I'm ready to take the full transition to Hybridz yet, but so far I'm liking the Tech side of things here. Lots of categories where I can surf around so it's perfect for me. I love welding, painting, wrenching, and fabricating. I'm not claiming expert at any of it, I just like to do it all myself. So here is the car.

1BeforeRestore.jpg

>2Day1.jpg

3OldCrossMember.jpg

4NewCrossMember.jpg

5NewCrossMember.jpg

6CutBracket.jpg

7ReplacedBracket.jpg

8jackingpoints.jpg

11BatteryDamage.jpg

12BatteryDamageFixed.jpg

BTPrimed.jpg

13BatteryTray.jpg

9underhoodbefore.jpg

10paintstripped.jpg

EBPrimed.jpg

EBFinished.jpg

EngineBay.jpg

15motorandtrannybefore.jpg

EngineIn.jpg

EngineIn2.jpg

Transmission.jpg

FusePanel.jpg

I started off with Zcar 5 years ago, but info was hard to get and keep tract of, other than searching, and there were so many stupid posts....Hybridz is just...better. It seems the most of people who do have valuable input there are on here also, so I just stay here now mostly.

What are future plans? stock engine, suspension etc?

I started off with Zcar 5 years ago, but info was hard to get and keep tract of, other than searching, and there were so many stupid posts....Hybridz is just...better. It seems the most of people who do have valuable input there are on here also, so I just stay here now mostly.

What are future plans? stock engine, suspension etc?

Well, for right now I'm just trying to get it road worthy. I bought this for a daily driver and just couldn't help myself. As soon as I got the chance I tore it apart. It's up for body work and paint in the spring. Honestly that's probably as far as it will go. I would rather find a body in better shape for a complete performance build. I still have my truck I need to do. My poor Dodge has been put on the back burner for 2 motorcycles, this ZX and of course whenever I'm broke. I'm gonna paint this car, then jump back on that.

Yesterday I finally put the hood and fenders back on, dropped it on it's own wheels again and rolled it off the plywood. I need to do some serious clean up in and around my shed and get everything back in order. After that I will begin removing the rest of the interior pieces and carpet so I can get at the floor pans to seek and destroy rust and check out all the wiring to the back.

I ran into trouble when I had to replace the water cock. The old one snapped at the perforated fitting so I found a universal on short notice. After that I put all the ducts and blower fan assembly back in after a good washing in the bathtub and all new weather seal strips. Then I hooked up the battery cables dropped a battery in and got to hear some LIFE! I turned the key over and she fired on the cold start valve. She's a good old girl. I still need to hook up the cylinder injectors. Then I finally got the windows to roll up for the first time since August. I know, stupid. I thought it would be a 2-3 week job and the weather was good. Here's a pic of the replacement water cock. The cost was $30. The only thing I don't like about it, is it doesn't seem to open as far as the stock one, so hopefully I'll still get hot air. If I had a factory water cock nearby I would've chosen that one.

DSC00047.jpg

Stupid me. I got the car started yesterday just to confirm a fear I had. It ran great but the power steering pump wasn't happy. When I was filling lubes into the car I made the mistake of using power steering fluid in the steering pump. Who would've thunk it? I didn't realize I had made a mistake until I saw it in the FSM. I should've checked it first, but for some reason, when I was checking my cabinet to see what lubes I already have and making a check list of fluids that I need, I didn't feel the need to look any deeper into the FSM when I saw the quart of POWER STEERING FLUID in my cabinet. After I saw in the FSM that it requires Dextron II or better, I knew I had screwed up. I remember how thick the power steering fluid felt, and it sure didn't take much when I bled the rack. FSM says 1 1/4 Quart, well I only got about 1/3 of a quart to go into the system. That's the positive. So now I have to flush it all out of the system and risk getting fluid all over my new paint cause I was complacent. Just goes to show to always check your FSM, even things appear to be cut and dry.

In my defense, I think it should be illegal for Prestone to advertise "Power Steering Fluid" in big bold letters on their bottles, when not all cars use it in their system. It should be reclassified as a hydraulic fluid and it's properties as such. Bastards.

Edited by yarddogg77

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I updated. I'm still having the power steering issues. I'm not sure if I have dirt in the system, my pump is destroyed, or if I put did something wrong when I re assembled the rack and pinion. I need to rebuild the pump and see if that helps, if not, I'll re work the pinion. I know it was leaking for a while and who knows if the PO bothered to keep it full. Then the power steering fluid I used may have done the pump in. We'll see.

Upon starting the car I also noticed an exhaust leak. I think it's because the thickness of the header flange vs. the intake flange. I need to take out all the bolts and install spacer washers where the bolts clamp them both down together. Another set back.

• 1 month later...

Alright, I found why my car wouldn't run. It was stumbling real bad like it was out of gas. Turned out to be the Timing chain slipped on the cam. I have no idea how it happened. I have a new head gasket and a real round port header gasket waiting to go on, but it's been to windy to open my engine. Waiting.... That chain slipping pisses me off. I put it on there tight as humanly possible. I turned the cam back a little to take the slack out of the drive side and everything. This car is cursed.