HybridZ

3 Volts are killing me

wrcbonk

Guys,

Getting my RB25 infused 240z on the road has been derailed by an electrical "leak". Watch the video, keep in mind during the whole video the key is on the Lock position, so nothing should be running, but it is!

Please, let me know if this is familiar or if you can say "hey dummy, do this..."

Thanks

Bonk

Do this unplug the alternator plug and see what happens. When I had my rb I was having a problem with the alternator field. I had to supply a switched 12v from the IGN switch and bypass the stock z wiring to the alternator.

Bonk I do not have audio on my computer at the moment so I have no idea what you said or what sounds you might have been having with that video.

I have seen the ignition do that before though. Bet you, that if you had a meter that was really quick or a scope, you would see momentary 12v surges off-on-off-on-etc.

When it happens everything starts to come on that is tied into the ignition obviously.

Something to do with a bad fuse and how the RB ECU is wired in will cause it. Once you unplug the battery and plug it back in does it go away? Then you turn the ignition back on and it starts up over in an endless loop of turning on and off? I never figured out why it did that, but replacing the fuse for my B+ wires issue solved. Something starts to energize the relays when that happens and causes everything to come on through your ignition switch.

Another thing I found is that unplugging the ECU will terminate the loop from ever occurring so its finding ground through the ECU! That is potentially bad. And with the surges spikes the current through the ECU and other attached devices if you have any. I think that is what may have taken out my FC Datalogit for my PFC ECU. I believe a current spike killed the onboard chip that housed all firmware for the FC Datalogit. Could have been a factory defect though. We will never know.

Edited by rayaapp2