HybridZ

Questions about Master Cylinders..

Im finishing my break swap on My early 1974 260z from the stock set up to the Arizona Z car set up wich includes the 12.2 inch rotors front and rear with the Wilwood 4 piston calipers front and rear and so have you.It recommends a 79-81 ZX master cylinder wich everyone knows but I cannot seem to find one new or remanufactured through the auto parts stores.I have seen the wilwood setup offered from Jegs mentioned in other threads thru searches and I am considering it .My questions follow......

Is it absolutely crucial to run a bigger MC with this brake setup and why?

What aftermarked companies offer a MC upgrade with new or reconned parts?

Anyone who has purchased an AZC brake kit what master cylinder are you running?

Edited by tightywhitey185

I sell them at my job,Advance Auto parts $34.09

I am sorry but before giving information like that you should verify it is correct. Advance autoparts' website has it listed for $150. Thats if it is in stock. Almost everywhere across the country is out of stock. If you can find it in stock the you should buy everyone in stock.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Brake-Master-Cylinder-Wagner_26946112-P_230_R|GRPBRHYAMS_____

Edited by padam07

The bottom line on the 280ZX MC is that the companies that rebuild them are no longer doing so. But you will find many parts stores and on-line sellers say that have them even though their suppliers no longer support the 280ZX MC.

Ive Got the 1 Inch MC from willwood in the box but might take it back tomorrw to jegs.Dave from AZC said the willwood 1 Incher might actually be too big for the brake setup he offers.Im rinning 12.2 rotors all around with 4 piston calipers all around.He was concerned running the willwood would cuase a very stiff pedal unless upgrading to a larger booster as stated in the sticky about this topic.Im gonna give the stock early 260z MC a shot.Im just concerned that its an old MC

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so ive put A few miles on the new AZC brake setup with the stock early 74 MC and the pedal feel stinks.Its mushy and the majority of its braking force is a little after half pedal throw.Im not real thrilled with the feal but it sure does work.I had to bleed the crap out of the system becuase it seems to hold unample fluid for this upgrade.It sure does stop like a mother tho!Like i said the feel kinda sucks but when you mash that thing it will rip your eyeballs out!Does anyone know if this brake setup could be potentially bad for the stock MC over time.ie seals go out or who knows.It def works and ill probably upgrade to something else but in the mean time i was conserned with the stock MC.Wonder if it will last a while?

The Stock MC feels ok For daily driving but It needs to feel more refined for auto x or any kind of racing.Ive been putting around town mostly lately to feel the system out.The stock MC will be fine for daily driving.

How close to the floor is the pedal during hard braking? From your post it sounds like the pedal must be firm once it engages.

It never goes to the floor and ive mashed it hard enough to violantly stop the car.It just feels mushy.Like my 87 celica with 300k on it.Just tired.No vacume leaks.It doesnt have a new car petal feal by any means.But not scary soft.The last 1/4 of the throw is sound.Its not what im use to.Anything before 1/4 throw feels like an asthmatic blowing through a straw.Sad really.then towards the end its stiff but not like i would expect but it stops the car hard for sure!It just seems like it should be nore consistant through its throw.Its weird

Sigh....yeah thats probably where Im goin.Even though ive bought and returned it twice at ther jegs retail store haha.Im calling this place first tomorrow.http://www.discountbrakes.com/basket.php?add_item_id=348262 Saw this company on ebay. Its Centric brakes and they claim to have them in stock.That and im going to pester dave at AZC tomorrow as well. ;)