HybridZ

240z/vg30et Pictures

Awesome man, there seems to be a few of these swaps catching on- I'm in the midst of dropping in the same motor in my 280. Would you happen to have build pics showing mounts, relocation pipe, etc.? Running megasquirt? Noticeable lag with the added piping for the turbo? Keep us updated with the progress, cheers

Sorry I don't have any pictures of the build in progress. I am running megasquirt but it is not tuned yet. As far as the relocation pipe, yeah a little more lag. Most of the lag came when I replaced the turbo with the larger one I am running now.

Cool. Yeah it seems that more people are coming out of the woodwork with these swaps. I'm just finishing mine up here too.

How did you get the alternator to fit? Is the motor raised enough? How high is the crank bolt from the crossmember? Mine is as lower as I could get it--the belt comes off with a bit of effort, the clearance is that tight.

The alternator cleared fine after I cut the stock motor mount bracket off of the crossmember. My Crank pulley is just under 2 inches from top of crossmember. The tightest clearance would be between the turbo relocation pipe and the steering shaft around 1/2 inch.As far as the motor being the right height I just lowered it as far down as possible after locating transmission mounts, everyhing fits good.I have driven this setup for about a year with the stock ecu with no clearance problems. Now it is Megasquirt time, so I can take advantage of my big turbo.

Edited by Dadaluma

• 8 months later...

Hi I have a 1972 240z same color as your by the way and i got this wrecked 1984 300zx turbo 50th aniversary with 97k miles for 350 bucks the car runs great other then damage on the front and the side i was looking at your swap and was wondering if you can give me some tips on the swap and if the swap is worth it, im plannin on installing motor tranny and drivetrain thanks really appreciate the help.

It's only worth it, in my opinion, if you put the VG30ET in. And to do that, you need to figure out where to put the turbo (this guy and me), or move the steering shaft (like ZR8ED).

I just finished my swap and am still working on small stuff. I haven't really been able to drive it and have fun (mostly just tuning and worrying about breaking things). I think I blew mine up as well, but it's in storage for an indefinite amount of time, so I'm it's in limbo right now.

Edited by BLOZ UP

That's gotta be the most beautiful-ugly engine bay ever! I mean that in the best possible way. :-D

I've always loved VG conversions. Sure the NA doesn't make a ton of sense, unless you're only shooting for 200hp and just want the weight amount/placement benefits. But the turbo motors are beasts! Always love seeing more swaps done.

• 1 month later...

Do you guys have a picture of how you mounted the transmission and I already got The engine in the engine bay but doesn't line up the same as you guys the oil pan sits on top of the rack and pinion and I stripped out the complete 300zx and brought over all the wirring wat exactly do I need from the wirring thanks for all the help