HybridZ

Help! 280zx turbo is sick

Heroez

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes....I recently bought my 82 280ZX-T on Craigslist in Atlanta and he picked it up for me and did the brakes and front end for me so I could drive it back to NC. He seemed really knowledgeable and even let me look at a couple of cars he was restoring. The work he did on my car was top notch. I hate that he gave you such a flippant diagnosis.

Ha! You probably know what my car looks like because of a picture on the inside of that shop. The blue one with the turbo side stripe. He builds good engines, and did a nice job with installing a rear camber kit on my 260z. Put him with a problem on a eccs, and you get seat of the pants diagnosis. I guess after 30 years of working on early z cars that fuel pressure readings and resistance measurements just dont matter as much as they used to? We get along great, I just wanted a fact base diagnosis rather than intuition. I cant afford to replace everything to finally get the fix. Im sure for another grand or so he would have got it. I work full time and the wife, the house, I just dont have the time to work on it as much as I like, so I paid for time and parts in the shop. I had a different shop flat out tell me they dont like to work on turbos. Where has all the skill and give a crap gone? Hey, if you have an 82t you could help me out big time. I need to find out how the ground wire on the AFM goes. Could you take a look at the AFM and give me your best description of where the two end of that ground wire go? Or post a picture? You may have to slide the washer fluid tank up and out of the way to see it. That would be a big help.

Give me a call tomorrow I and will tell you exactly where every wire for the AFM goes. I am picking up my Turbo 82 280zx tomorrow and will be happy to help you out.

Thanks man. My boss was rushing me friday, so I couldnt look up that paint code. Monday I am showing up early to get time to look it up.

Hadnt heard about it. Its a possibility. I have an update- You cant use the FSM to test the AFM. Me and a few other people ran tests just like the manual says. We tested unknown and known good turbo AFMs. They all fail test 1, and the component test. They also fail the flap movement tests. It turns out the only accurate way to test them is with power supplied. Im leaning towards saying the only way to test them is to load test them. So my AFM may not be bad afterall. The problem is somewhere else. Im about to give up.

Have you tried a different ECU? I know you had yours rebuilt, but something could still be fried. I have a one that I removed in order to swap in the z31 ECU. You are welcome to it. It's known good. If it doesn't fix your problem, I'd appreciate it back though ;P

Edited by Swervey McZCar

Have you tried rebuilding the AFM? Basically you move the wiper to an unused portion of the carbon track and you should be good for another 30 years ;)

Did you test the AFM at it's connector or through the harness?

I did move the carbon trace board a few times with no change in how the car runs. I bought a replacement used AFM which the seller swears its good because he drove with it, still no change in how the car acts. Yes, the FSM has you test the wire terminals on the ecu connector, then the part itself. The test is useless though. Even known good AFMs fail testing this way. The test result between the wire terminals and the part were identicle so the wires there seem fine.

Edited by Heroez

Have you tried a different ECU? I know you had yours rebuilt, but something could still be fried. I have a one that I removed in order to swap in the z31 ECU. You are welcome to it. It's known good. If it doesn't fix your problem, I'd appreciate it back though ;P

I do suspect my ECU. Nobody around here has one to use. I will PM you.

Still no progress. I recieved the ECU and did some research on the different turbo ECUs. The bad news is, a 1981 turbo ECU lacks the dropping resistors for the fuel injectors. In that year they used a resistor pack on the inner fender of the engine bay. In my 1983, they are built into the ECU. At this point I dont want to start changing any wiring. Im staying in focus, trying to find the faulty part. I didnt want to have the car undriveable, and that is why this lending of an ECU was a major help. So I need some opinions on what to do now. Any thoughts or advice?

Edited by Heroez

That ECU came out of an '83 turbo with low impedence injectors. I used it with no resistor pack and the 1983 harness. I wrote "1981.5" on that ECU in sharpee marker after looking the number up on Jim Wolf's website. I should have written a question mark after it because I'm not very confident in that information. Please post the part # here so we could look it up for you, but I ran that ECU on a 83 engine and harness for several years. It was installed in the 83 parts car when I got it.

Edited by Swervey McZCar