HybridZ

302 v. 351 Windsor

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My dad and I stopped by Mike Kelly's on Sunday to take a look at Mike's Z. Guys, it is AWESOME. Mike's car is very, very professionally done! Everything looks as if it were made that way.

Well, on to a few questions. We started talking about a Ford 5.0 conversion. On the way home my dad and I were talking about the various stroker kits available for the 302 Ford and I was telling him that the biggest one I could find stretched it out to a 347. He suggested just going with a built 351, or possibly a stroked 351. Does anyone out there know the weight comparison between a 302 and 351? I know the 351 has ~1" taller deck height, how does the physical deminsions of the 351 compare to a small block Chevy? There are two things that really attract me to doing a Ford conversion 1-) I have always been a Ford person, and 2-) I know the SBF is already lighter than the SBC. I realize that the SBC would be cheaper to build but after looking through some of the performance catalogs I really don't think it will be that big of a difference.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Chris

Guest Locutus

Oh trust me, its a big difference in price. But money aside, the 351W isn't much bigger, its still a small block motor, lots of power, if you want to do ford I would go with the 351.

Guest Anonymous

A slightly more updated version of that list is available at Dave Williams' home page. URL is:

http://home1.gte.net/42/engfyi.htm

BTW, Dave managed to squeeze 430 cubes out of a 351 block! Dubbed it "Windzilla". :-)

The 351W also has larger main bearings as well. There maybe some high RPM oiling details to attend to.

Scott

Guest Anonymous

The info on those pages doesn't properly respresent weights, since nothing is known about how "dressed" the engines are. Also, most of the figures weren't verified by the author.

I do as much weighing as possible in the shop. Here are some of the results:

http://web.wt.net/~tfair/mustang/weights.html

As for dimensions, the 351W deck height is 9.5" (9.48" for '69-'70 blocks), while a 302 is only 8.206".

------------------

Michael Sen-Roy

Houston Performance

281-893-6080

------------------

Guest Anonymous

Some have details about dressing or wet/dry weights that's why there's literally 200 footnotes. You do raise a good point and I appreciate the link you gave. Didn't realize Terry's page was still up.

Since we're throwing our "weight" around. smile.gif Here's another listing of individual parts weights (mostly from Ford Mustang):

http://www.iaw.com/~aubertin/88mgt/weights/weights.htm

Scott