HybridZ

engine location

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Those of you with 302/351s in early Zs...

Is the crank in the same height and side to side location as the stock engine, or does it need to move?

Will a Victor Jr intake with a drop-base but 4" tall air cleaner fit under the stock hood (if on a 302)?

Anyone use a 351W?

Thanks!

------------------

Michael Sen-Roy

Houston Performance

281-893-6080

------------------

Michael,

I'm going to start construction of the chassis for my car and will use a 351W. It looks like the crank center line will be about 12" off the floor(With 24.5" tall tires) - the bottom of the scattershield looks like the lowest point on the car. I'll line the center line up with the differential input. If there is room in the tunnel, I'd like to off-set the motor 1/2 to 1" to the passenger's side. Unfortunately, it's too early to tell if I'll have hood clearance problems. Please keep me informed if you get any info concerning this conversion.

Good luck,

Al Keller

akeller@neo.rr.com

My 1974 260z has a 1989 5.0L Ford engine from a mustang police car installed. The center of the front of the crank is even with the top of the front frame rails. The front of the stock harmonic balancer is even with the front of the steering rack. The engine is centered left to right(rather than offset to the passenger side like the chevy conversions and the stock L series). The factory mounting pads were removed from the front crossmember for oil filter clearance. The engine is installed 2.5 degrees nose up. The stock hood clears the Ford EFI assembly by 1/8" (the closest point is on the passenger side above the throttle body/EGR. I will soon be posting pictures of the installation and drawings of my motor/transmission mounts. I have seen a Z with a 351W installed. The car required a hood scoop. The car also ran high 10 sec quarter mile times using an open R-200 differential. I don't know how to get in touch with this guy (don't even know his name) but I do know that the car was built by Z excellence in Jacksonville FL. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Some progress...

I dropped an EFI 5.0L engine into the bay today, just for mock-up purposes. Good news on one issue, not so good in others.

Good news is that a T-5 shifter will end up in the perfect spot. Like the car was made for it.

Bad news, I can't move the engine back far enough to drop it down as far as I wanted to. The balancer rests above the rack, just as Daniel describes.

As such, an aftermarket oil pan won't fit. Even the stock 5.0L pan just barely clears, and I'll have to weld a new bung into it in order to drain the front sump.

More bad results, this brings the top of the engine too close to the hood. I'm afraid I might not be able to fit even a drop-base filter on top of my Holley/Victor Jr. I don't know what to do about this yet... I really don't want to use EFI, but the EFI Victor 5.0 intake probably would fit...

Oh, wait, but there's even _more_ bad news!

I hadn't thought of how much lower the exhaust ports are on a 302 relative to a SBC. There's not much room for any kind of performance header. Custom's not really an option...

A stock 5.0L header looks like it would fit, but the flange points into the firewall with the engine that far back. (And it would be horribly restrictive for my combination.)

The measurements given in the Ford Racing catalog for the street rod block huggers make it look as if those won't clear either.

Engine mounts won't work the way I'd envisioned. I'm thinking a block plate will be a much better solution, at this point.

Anyhow, I'm not at all down on the project, it's just that I had too high hopes for how certain things would work out. It's just a little more work than I thought it would be.

Engine looked great in that engine bay, btw. wink.gif So much empty space up front!

Daniel, any progress on the pictures and plans?

Thanks, all. Oh, and I guess I should detail what engine I'll be using.

3.4" stroke, .060" overbore, so it's 352cid. Ported Canfield heads, solid roller. It's an engine package we've done a few times for customers, with repeatable results. In a Mustang chassis, with 1-3/4" longtube headers, these engines put 435hp to the rear wheels. Unknown what that will end up being in the Z with the exhaust I'll be using.

------------------

Michael Sen-Roy

Houston Performance

281-893-6080

------------------

Michael,

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you! I was wondering if it made sense to either use a custom small diameter balancer would help, or better yet, put the engine back a bit (with firewall tweaking) so that the balancer is behind the rack but infront of the crossmember. Of course, there are the pulleys to worry about then.

435hp at the wheels! That sounds awesome!