HybridZ

5.0L 260 is on the road

74_5.0L_Z

After a year and a half of work, my 1974 260 is on the road. The car is powered by a 1989 5.0L mustang engine from a highway patrol vehicle. The factory fuel injection was maintained(the computer is mounted in the glovebox.) The exhaust is a dual 2.5 inch set-up with an H pipe and two 2.5 in/out 2 chamber flowmaster mufflers. The car also uses the T5 from the mustang. The differential is an R200 with 3.90 gears.

The tires are Dunlop SP8000(245 50 15) mounted on centerline 15x8 wheels (5 inch backspacing.) The suspension consists of ground control 2.5 inch adjustable coil-overs with 200 lb/in springs. With this setup, the 245 50 15 tires fit in the factory wheel wells.

The car is much faster than stock though probably not as ferocious as some of the cars on this site.

I hope to take it to the track soon (Bithlo in Orlando.) I'll let you know what happens.

Congrats on finishing (at least getting it on the road - I doubt these cars are EVER finished smile.gif ).

Just wondering if you were planning on documenting how you did things. There is so little documentation on engine mounting, etc. for the Ford V8 swap, it would be good to have some tech articles for it.

Guest Frank280z

Glad to hear another Z8 to hit the road. Thats gotta' sound nasty with the 2 chambered mufflers. Take it easy on those Honda guys biggrin.gif

Frank

------------------

Build it. Drive it. Improve it.

Woo hoo! Sounds nice. smile.gif I'd really like to take a look at some pictures of your setup, specifically the engine placement. Feel like writing up a in depth tech article? smile.gif

Congrats on getting the car on the road.

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Guest Anonymous

Glad to see I'm not the only one who appreciates Ford power. Congrats on getting it on the road. I too am planning a 5.0 five speed car. Post some more stuff about the buildup.

Yes, do please write up as much tech on this as you can. Lot's of people are interested in what it takes to drop in an EFI 302 as these motors are pretty common. Wiring and motor mounts seem to be the big questions. Would love to know if a 351W would fit :-)

Guest Locutus

Also with the 302, i think the oil pan is an issue. How did you deal with the oil pan, motor mounts, exhuast, etc. If you could do a write up it would help create intrest in doing the ford swap. More people mean more answers.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

We may be taking on a new technician very soon. If so, I'll have _much_ more time to devote to my project.

I already have the pan and exhaust issues solved. I'll borrow my boss' digital camera and take some shots when I get a chance.

------------------

Michael Sen-Roy

Houston Performance

281-893-6080

------------------

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on a '71 and plan on putting in a 302/T-5. The way I have worked it out is using a Trans-Dapt engine crossmember, cut it to approx 25 inches (forgot the exact measurement) and weld it in. Might just bolt it, haven't tried it yet. The only problem is that I have to notch the crossmember for the steering shaft (they touch slightly) and I use the stock Z tranny mount (as far as I know, haven't tried it, but it looks like it'll work, I'll let you know) I'm hoping to retain the same driveshaft relation from this. We'll see.

I just started, so detail will be forthcoming.

Congrats on the maiden voyage. I really would like to know how the conversion went, as I'm considering this for the convertible conversion....

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk