HybridZ

relocating rack anyone done it?

Guest scca

noticed someone was going to load a 302 but the balanceer hit the rack. couldnt the rack be relocated(not that rack but a sweet or appleton) and change the car to a rear steer to lower the motor more and jam it to the firewall?

i saw a v8 Ford Z YEARS ago and i think it was a Boss 302 in it. i only saw it once and all the others were chevy. i always thought it made a better idea to have the dist at the front.

------------------

Mike

http://www.fonebooth.com

raceparts and brakeupgrades

I have a 5.0 L and T5 in my 74 260. The inertia ring of the factory 5.0 harmonic balancer sit above the rack and clears by 0.5 inches. The engine sits as low as I dared place it(the oil pan and bell housing hang about 1/2 inch below the frame and crossmember. The brackets for my motor mounts are sandwiched between the frame and the front cross-member and lower the rack 3/16". Even if I used different mounts that didn't lower the crossmenber, I would still have clearance.

Mike - I've seen EFI 302s in 240Zs. One of the things that sort of determines where it all ends up is the trans. Done right the T5 handle sticks right up through the hole - if you push it back too far you'll end up with a funky driving position and having to hack up the console and tunnel. Ick! The Ford I saw had no clearance issues with the rack and used a FOX oil pan. It did seem to sit a little high to me but he was also able top use Mustang shorty headers so I guess it was a pretty good place to put it :-)

I've wondered more than once if the swept back shorty headers for say an S10 conversion would work on a SBC. Unfortunatly I have so little access to various headers I wouldn't know which to try!