HybridZ

twin cam L6 3.4L

PMC raceengines

hi new poster from austraila my name is peter mcdonnell and im a zed nut and engine builder have a small shop that build nissan and toyota engines this engine is for my zed that i will race

i have made a crank with a 89mm stroke and it has a 90mm bore 13.1 comp and is dry sumped and has a rb26 head just thourt id show it post-26847-010987500 1327202130_thumb.jpg will post pics as i put it all to gether

...and very cool it is...... B)

Have you worked out how much that motor would be to build for a customer?

....just wandering....... :P

well the stroker L3.35 will cost $6100 for a 2 valve head comes with crank H beam Honda rods and forged pistons with a custom flywheel or i can build the hole race motor with p90 race head with 11.to1 comp this motor makes more power than any L in the world with 47mm carbs or 48mm inj will be 22000 dynoed and ready to race if u wont the twin cam drysump injected over 400hp 35000 with motec computer and custom exhaust and all tuned ready to race

Edited by PMC raceengines

90x89? Sounds familiar!

The RB head is a new twist, any reason you went with the 26 over the cheaper / plentiful RB25 instead?

Interesting. This bears watching.

An FYI, 400+ is available with 3L 2-Valve Head for around 7,500usd from Rebello.

Edited by Tony D

yes tony but your hp rating is very difrent to ours we teased a 400hp rebelo last week and it made 290hp on our dyno not in the same ball park as our race motors your a long way behind us aus zed boys lol hehehpost-26847-013767900 1327210914_thumb.jpg

and i used the 26 head to get 6 itb manifold and i had one that has been worked over flows 312cfm at 28in intake and i had some cams made with 312deg and 13mm lift

Edited by PMC raceengines

yes tony but your hp rating is very difrent to ours we teased a 400hp rebelo last week and it made 290hp on our dyno not in the same ball park as our race motors your a long way behind us aus zed boys lol hehehpost-26847-013767900 1327210914_thumb.jpg

That's a comment that's bound to stir up some 'interest' around here. :lol:

How much does it generally cost to ship a complete L Series to Oz (and visa versa)?

Well, you can make any dyno claims you want, but physical laws say the Rebello 3.0 that pushed Car#7770 to a new F/GT record at Bonneville at over 173 mph would require a smidge more than 290 at the rear wheels to punch a .465 cd, 22cf frontal area Stock Bodied Non-G-Nosed S30 to that impartially arrived at speed.

And that was on 45mm Webers turning engine speeds quite a bit lower than ours...

HP rating is HP rating when dealing with top speed at Bonneville. There is no dial to twist or smoothing algorithm to tweak to give a number good for sales.

Tell ya what: I'll accept a similarly prepped S30 running in SA at similar speed as proof that yours measures up to muster.

I would hope sure as he'll you make more than 400 HP with a claimed 312 per port! That one had stock valves and around 230 per port!

Well, you can make any dyno claims you want, but physical laws say the Rebello 3.0 that pushed Car#7770 to a new F/GT record at Bonneville at over 173 mph would require a smidge more than 290 at the rear wheels to punch a .465 cd, 22cf frontal area Stock Bodied Non-G-Nosed S30 to that impartially arrived at speed.

And that was on 45mm Webers turning engine speeds quite a bit lower than ours...

HP rating is HP rating when dealing with top speed at Bonneville. There is no dial to twist or smoothing algorithm to tweak to give a number good for sales.

Tell ya what: I'll accept a similarly prepped S30 running in SA at similar speed as proof that yours measures up to muster.

I would hope sure as he'll you make more than 400 HP with a claimed 312 per port! That one had stock valves and around 230 per port!

like i said tony 45 carbs and 230cfm make 330hp at a pinch 336 engine and thats all it can make there is no more air ...and if you look at rebelos torque fig its more per L than a nascar there figers dont ad up austrailia has a diffrent hp rating than the US so we have a hard time with ur figgers

:D This could get 'involved'. The horsepower thing is worth commenting on though, what would be interesting Peter is to test a Rebello head side by side with one of yours on a flow bench. I know that would not be a definitive test for power potential but it would be a start.

Is this a bench-racing thread? Are these future engines from thought experiments? Lots of flow numbers and test results but I can't really tell if an engine has been built and done something in a car. Reading it is liking being in a bizzaro world, with the iphone grammar and fantastic claims. Maybe things really do rotate backward in Oz. Any pictures or videos of a completed engine, on a dyno or in a car?

So the contention that 330hp will punch a 240Z to over 150mph without G-Nose, Undertray, aero help.

I'm not hung on the dyno numbers, I'm hung on the physics of the basic calculations based on known figures like Aero Drag, frontal area, altitude density at 4400', etc...

The calculations have been previously done for the car as configured when run at Bonneville. (Aero Forum Here)

I'm just saying that I hope to hell someone would make more than 400 with 320 per port and 400cc's more!

And I'd welcome anybody to enlighten me what Rebello's engine was actually making to punch that S30 to 173mph at Bonneville. It was more than 330 is my bet.

Wether someone's dyno is better or not is not the issue.

I want to know how Rebelli somehow bends physical laws regarding drag horsepower at speed merely by installing his engine.

As an S30 with 345hp is limited to around 160 by drag alone.

And Burtons car is not as low as ours, so he's got no cheating advantage there...

If you want to knock others work and call BS on their claims, impartial instrumented third party tests which seem to support their claims can not be so easily dismissed, sir!

How do you explain 170+mph if the engine is not making that kind of HP? It's a two way run AT ALTITUDE (usually meaning down on HP compared to sea level dynos), no tailwind or downhill advantage. As close to theoretical conditions as you can get... And which for over 50 years has proven a hard taskmaster of Physical Laws when it comes to the rigid HP requirements to reach speeds over 150mph...

tony to make 400 hp with a 2 valve head that flows 230 cfm at 28in is not posible at a pinch it will make 103 hp per L so at 3L it will make 309hp so were do you get the extra 91

im not saying the rebelo engine is crap its a good thing but it does not make 133 hp pr L its not posible to make that with a 45dcoe and a head that flows like they do

the rebelo we tested made the exact hp we do with the same combo so

Sounds to me like your robello isn't a full race head, but rather a hot street port...

Tony's claims on the robello in the Bonneville car aren't bogus, and can easily be looked up in the records. His point comes down to a very pure truth. That motor was making a DAMN LOT OF POWER. There's no way it was flowing a measly 230cfm. That's CFM that many here have achieved in their garage! :-D

So the moral of the story is that you can't base all of robello's work off of one head. Did you order the head yourself? Do you have the invoice list that shows the work done and the guarenteed HP claims?

And a horsepower is a horsepower is a horsepower. Yes measurements vary across the world, but 1 HP will always = 745.699 watts. An example of measurement differences though is how the L motor went from SAE gross to SAE net in the late 70's and magically lost 30 or so HP, which is a big hit when under 200hp anyways. Some people claimed that smog devices were robbing HP, but that was complete bull. The rating system changed, period. Today's research shows that the P79 and P90 are some of the best flowing heads, and that the smog devices if working properly (which they would have been in '79) won't rob considerable HP. What changed was a rating system, that's all.

But that's where MOST dyno's show some truth through the haze (though I personally feel that real world performance such as trap speeds or Bonneville figures are even more truthful). A water brake dyno can give us raw HP figures of what an engine is actually doing. Unfortunately things like dyno calibration, dyno type, dyno room temps, etc can all play huge roles in the figures.

I've seen the real world proof that you can take an engine can vary the HP on the dyno by as much as 20% without changing a single part on the car, or re-calibrating the dyno. Then you've got dyno calibration error and dyno type variances thrown into the mix...

...which is why a 1/4 mile trap speed with known running weight is hard data to ignore. It's as "real world" HP as you get.

So do you have any 1/4 slips with weight figures?