HybridZ

new 4.6? how much bigger is it?

Guest scca

i know of where a 95 cobra (and a regular 97)

is that was written off. the cobra motor they want $4k for and lots less for the other. are these much wider than a 5.0?

i'd love a cobra motor in my convt/ i like the look of the hemi style heads.

WIll it fit?

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html

raceparts and brake upgrades.

I know that the Cobra motor ('96+) is at least 6" wider than the 5.0. The Cobra motor for '95 was a GT-40 5.0. But, there's still tons of room left over from the typical 350 or 302 install, so I would just measure width and see. I bet you would have an inch or 2 to spare. Let me know about the other motor.

AL

------------------

http://refuse.netdojo.com/Zcar

[This message has been edited by alsil (edited November 03, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

I've seen the front of it out of a car, and didn't yardstick it, but considering how narrow the 302 is, yeah it was MUCH wider. On the other hand, its probably not much if at all wider than the DOHC sixes/eights (Nissan/Lexus) and they show the Lexus 8 in the JTR manual installed in a Z so who knows. Sure would be a cool looking engine compartment, thats for darn sure.

Lone

i have seen one out of car since i am a tech at a ford dealer.engine is a lot wider.but should fit.does not use standard t5.uses a t45 with one piece case-bellhousing not removable.block only weighs about 70 lbs bare-its aluminum.pan is flat in front-should fit over crossmember ok.all pumps and alt are mounted directly to engine.but you can delete parts and run a shorter belt.i dont think these are that much faster than a turbo z but engine is very smooth.

MK8 will have more iron in it - I think the block is iron. The cobra is the one that has th eall aluminum engine. The 95 motor is probably not what you want Mike, it;s a regualr V8. The other motor, if it's in a GT, is a SOHC V8. These run okay but are not as nice as th eCobra.

Figure the Cobra motor to be about as wide as a Ford 460. BIG! If you really have to have a width measurement let me know - I can get one over at my friend's shop and any other meaurements you might want. There's also a T56 that bolts to these BTW :-)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

They are HUGE. They are wider than a 460 big block, almost as long, and about the same weight. Not a good swap motor. Not really a good anything motor, though if you put rods and pistons in one you can boost them pretty hard and make good power that way.

Guest Anonymous

I posted the dimensions of Ford motors just below. I'll do it again here.

For the 4.6 modular SOHC:

Width = 28 and 5/8"

Height = 26"

Length = 28"

For the 4.6 modular DOHC:

Width = 30"

Height = 29 and 7/8"

Length = 28"

For the 302:

Width = 18 and 3/4"

Height = 20 and 3/4"

Length = 27 and 1/2"

For the 351W

Width = 21"

Height = 23 and 3/4"

Length = 27 and 1/2"

Guest Anonymous

Oh, these measurements are from the top of the valve covers to the bottom of the sump, from the back of the block and to the front of the water pump pulley.

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by pauli:

now i must ask the question, if the 4.6 can be shoehorned in, and it's about the same size as a 460... will the 460 fit?
biggrin.gif

Well one of the guys frequenting this forum has a Big Block Chevy in the Z, so sure, the 460 could be made to fit. It would be a real shoehorn I'd imagine, and totally a drag car as I would think handling/power balance would be out the window. But one does have to wonder how a tubbed 4 link 9" reared,caged, reinforced rectangular frame Z with a Kaase 460 mountain motor (say 600 cubes?)would run. Can you say eyeball squashing acceleration?

Lone

Not good for anything? Oh man - with a blower they make gobs of power and they spin REAL high too. A high revving car is a blast to drive - my RX sees damn near 8K on a regular basis smile.gif

Make more than about 450hp on the 4 valve and expect to replace rods and pistons. My friend pulled his motor after bumping the boost up to have forged rods and pistons put in. Sure enough two pistons were toast and he'd bent a rod - motor ran fine! He's also got a 2valve GT running aorundf with a blower that flat out flies - surprises Cobras all the time!

I also have a hard time believing that the motor weighs as much as a 460. The Cobra block is aluminum for kripes sakes! Big yes, heavy no. Given a choice between them I'd go for the 4 valve Cobra motor. If you want a great deal of power out of it you'll be wanting a blower though...