HybridZ

382 cube ford

randy 77zt

i have a magazine with an article on getting 382 cubes fron a 351 ford.crank was ground to use 300 cube straight six connecting rods-this increased stroke.blockwas bored .060 over.rods are 6.210 long.engine made made 560 hp on dyno.article was in hot boat june 1998.you dont always need a chevy for hp.if any body has ever worked on boats you know engine has to be built right-they run at high rpm all of the time.

Guest Anonymous

Randy,

With the rod length you mentioned it must have a pretty good rod/stroke ratio!!

An easier way to get some cubes out of a 351 Windsor would be to use a 3.850 stroke crank, stock 351 Windsor rods with stock 302 pistons. Would probably be cheaper too as it uses "common" parts.

Chris

Guest Anonymous

What combo are they using on the 426 in. stroker I've heard about? I know a guy who had one built for a 30's ford truck, he's a a friend of my brothers in San Diego and I was kinda surprised when he was talking a 426 in. windsor! (mega dollar truck project, air suspension irs front and rear, frame off new everything, flat gorgeous).

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Lone,

Not sure about the 426 stroker cranks, etc...for the 351W. Although, with the deck height and stroke the rod/stroke ratio can't be that great, but then again that style of motor is not built, I don't imagine, for high RPM usage.

Mike Kelly has a buddy that has a Mustang with a 428 Windsor. He may be able to tell you some more specifics. When I was researching the Ford stuff I never really paid attention to the big inch stroker kits due to their costs.

Chris

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Chris,

I answered my own question, did a search, came up with Speedomotive co. They have info on alot of stroker kits (chevy, ford and mopar) thats worth looking at:

http://www.speedomotive.com/Stroker%20Kits.htm

They have kits out to 435in for the 351w, looks to be undersquare. Same deal on the 426 kits. The 426 runs a 4.170 stroke (.670 greater than stock), the 435 is a 4.20 stroke (.700 greater than stock) with rod ratios of 1.47-1, and 1.48-1 respectively. Both of these are based on 4.030 bores.

Probably great in a car that has more weight in it and has a tubbed rear with loads of tires, not so much for the Z I think IMHO.

Thanks,

Lone

the long rod on the boat engine is for high rpm use.a boat has only 1 gear.if you want more speed it has to be from more rpms.the only thing that gets run harder than a boat engine is a winston cup engine.i have asembled engines for offshore racing boats.if something is not quite right they blow up because most of the time the engines are turning 5000 to 7000 rpm.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I like a few of they're stroker kits. The destroked 400 SBC (377 inch) would give great power in a Z as its a rpm motor. The 392in. Mopar 340 looks kinda cool too, although the 340 mopar was so good (IMHO) a combination stock, I don't know that I'd do that to it, got me thinking how sweet a six pack 340 would look in a Z! (weight wise somewhere between the chevy and ford at about 520lbs). Sorry Ford guys for being off topic. smile.gif

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Lone,

Wow, those rod/stroke ratios really are not as bad as thought they would be!!

I read an article in one of the Ford hi-po mags over the summer about a fella running a de-stroked 351W to a 302 with 6" rods.

I'll bet those things really put out some bottom end torque, like you said though, probably too much for a Z car.

Speedomotve has some really interesing stuff. I like their Sportsman 383 short block assembly. All forged stuff for ~$2000, thats not too bad....

Chris