HybridZ

Trying to fit 8" wheels right w/ ZG flares

Hey,

So I'm surprised I haven't seen this asked anywhere, but I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to be able to fit 8" wheels right under zg flares. I've seen a lot of people running 9" wheels under their zg's with offsets around -25 in the rear, and -15 in the front. If I want my wheels close to flush with the inside of the flare, do I need to add another 1/2" of negative offset to get the same fit (or somewhere around there)? FWIW, I plan on getting the rota aleica wheels, which come in offsets of -5, -15, and -25, and I plan on using 225/45/15 hankook ventus rs-3's. I will probably get them in -5 and -25 and space out from there if need be. I have seen people with 9" wheels running the same tire size, but I shouldn't go off of that offset, right? Seems like everyone with zg's is running 9" or wider rims... anyone out there with 8" rims under their zg's? Or should I just get them in 9" width and still run 225's? I don't like the stretched tire look, but this seems like the only size I can get 15" tires in that would be wide enough.

Edited by luseboy

225s on 9 inch wheels has been all the craze with the miata boys. The stretch is very minimal.

I was wondering why so many posts from miata forums came up. Looks nice acctually, hardly even stretched. I prefer a sqaure sidewall over anything else, but I think it will work a lot better this way, since this way I acctually have a purpose for the ZG's. I guess I will follow other people's fitments with 9" wheels. Would it make sense to do a staggered set up with 8's in front? Seems like that'd cut down on steering effort... But then again I have seen it posted here by numerous knowledgable people that staggered wheels are acctually bad for handling on the Z considering it has the near 50-50 weight ratio. I'm not sure what I want to do there, what do you think? I'd still be running the same size on the 8's in front.

23" tall tires? Isn't stock height around 24.7"?

I'm not a huge fan of the 45 profile, but the only decent tires I can get in the right width comes in 45 or lower. Stock was what, a 185/60/14? According to tire rack, that makes it a 22.7" overall diameter...

here's an s30 with 225/45/15's:

post-22866-010858000 1327895210_thumb.jpg

Edited by luseboy

You can get the following performance tires in 225/50-15:

BFG gForce Sport

Falken ZIEX ZE 912 and 512

Toyo Proxes 4

Toyo Proxes RA

Hoosier A6/R6

Yokohama A048

Thanks for the list John! The only one I'd acctually see myself using is the bfg g force, but I haven't heard the best of things about it, and it's more expensive than the hankooks that I want, even though they only come in the 45 aspect ratio. I'm really after a summer performance tire, and an R compound would be nice when warmed up, but costs a lot, and probably wouldn't last that long, right? I'm happy with replacing my tires once a year, but more often than that would not make me happy haha.

• 2 months later...

You can get the following performance tires in 225/50-15:

BFG gForce Sport

Falken ZIEX ZE 912 and 512

Toyo Proxes 4

Toyo Proxes RA

Hoosier A6/R6

Yokohama A048

The A6 only comes in 225/45/15 which is less than 23". The R6 comes in the 50 series though.

225 on a 9" wheel isn't stretched? 255 on a 9" wheel has a square sidewall, at least for the tires I used, kumho ecsta spt's.

No it is stretched. But not too horribly. Some people run 205's on 10.5" rims, so I think a 225 on a 9" rim is not too bad. I acctually changed my mind a bit, I'm going with 9" wheels, and I acctually got my flares yesterday, they're a bit wider than normal ones. I'm also gonna be running an all season performance tire, most likely the falken 912 or 512, since my car will mainly be street driven.

I think a light stretch compliments the car. Giant square tires with just ZG flares look out of place imo.

Heres a 225/50/15 on a 9.5 and 10.

2010-02-05081756.jpg

2011-09-11171713.jpg

And the all shameless plug

2010-11-23124500.jpg

Otherwise yeah, wider sizes for 15s are hard to find. Would have liked to find 245s in 15" diameter to make the stretch a little less, but oh well.

EDIT: Incase anyone asks, all those Zs in the background in that second picture were rustbucket parts cars I stripped out for parts for my rustless 70 (Which was basically a rolling shell) I have cleaned up my mess to stay good with the neighbors =]

Edited by KnightoftheRound

I was picturing that that would be what it would look like on a 9" rim from the first picture. Looks like I've found the right tire size haha. Thanks for the input knightoftheround! I should hire you to be my landscaper, your yard looks fantastic! To me anyways :lol: Haha seeing your green Z with the wheel poking out like that... it looks great! I can't wait to get my flares installed. I'm thinking I'm just gonna order 15x9 et -25 for all 4 wheels since I think that will be just about right for the front, and will need to be spaced out a bit more for the rear. The front flares are 2.5" and the rears are 3", so I imagine I'll probably need a 15mm spacer in the back. Does this sound about right? I will be adjusting camber with LCA's as I said before, so I think I will need a bit less spacer than most people would...

HOLY HACK JOB on those flares on the primer car

I think you might be mistaking the black POR15 over where it was welded back together for a shadow, and is making it look bad. It's a pretty clean round cut all the way around the arch, complete with threaded rivets, seam sealer, and all that stuff. It's a lot cleaner now.