HybridZ

distributor 1981 and 1983 (Pics added)

corolla turbo

hi, i got an 280zx from 1981, which i restored. An damaged zx from 1983 i used for spares. I only got the 1981 Distributor with vacuum actuator. this i installed. Now i want to use the 1983 engin because i rebuilded it. BUT THE DISTRIBUTOR ! ! 1983 engine doesnt have an vacuum conector for the distributor.

i`am little confuse because 1983 doesnt change ignition with higher revs? is this true? i think about making the vacuum actutor doesnt work (leaving the pipe disconected). think this can work?

Edited by corolla turbo

the 1983 one is an NON TURBO with OEM flat top pisons and P90 head without Catalytic Converter it makes 150PS. the oilpump shaft is same. I already installed the distributor, but couldnt find any option to connect vacuum hoses to the intake sytem like before.that is why i was little confused

i think the europeen zx are little different in some smale parts

will there be an problem if i use the distributor without automatic time adjusting?

Edited by corolla turbo

If it's a Euro engine, then turbo or not, it's got a vacuum canister on the distributor!

The Euro Turbos did not use ECCS, they used an E12-80 HEI distributor with vacuum advance / pressure retard.

If you got an engine rated in PS and only 150, sound like a Japanese or other import. All engines that were NA had vacuum pots on the Distributor save for some Japanese Market sedan engines with ECCS.

All OEM Euro engines had a conventional distributor with vacuum can, rnen the Turbos.

ok, thank yoo. but i dont understand why i couldnt fit the vac piping... i looked little at several pages, many different engines are available, all are L28E. some have an EGR system,

i looked at english manual from 1983, my throttle lookes like from eccs models but i have no emission control.all hoses at inlet are used, nothing is damaged or left. LOOKS very OEM

Edited by corolla turbo

ok, so i got an JDM engine. but why is no vac piping istalled?? or gots JDM engines other distirbutors?

at what point of engine running the vacuum actuator works ? i couldnt find any informations about its working

at idle is high vac in intake and the actuator is going to be shorter (changes ignition)

at higher REVs is less vac and the actuaror goes to max length???

where can i get an Vac connector? behind throttle somewhere at the intake i think??

my engine lookes like the one on the picture. No EGR, no cat,no detonation sensor, no exhaustsensor

post-9933-038682000 1328372466_thumb.jpg

Edited by corolla turbo

I really can't tell from the photo what is there.

I photo from the front left of the car near the headlight bucket, focused and clear showing the distributor,thermostat housing, and throttle body (with flash) would be the best.

Another from the side of the throttle body would be helpful, it's all a black mass under there, and I can't see if there is a BCDD on the manifold, or a stepper motor on the bottom of the TB.

JDM Engines used EGR. That looks like a Euro Engine with the blockoff plates. That engine should have a vacuum advance pot on a standard, conventional E12-80 HEI distributor. Plumbed as any other vacuum advance mechanism.

today i remuved the throttle body and watched everything very accuratly. In front the throttle is an little hole and one blind hole at the body but isn`t blind. There are several holes in the body but no one gots an connection to fit an vac hose. Even the working hole doesnt have an connection, only an hole. So i fitted an brake bleeder screw.

i realy dont know how the vac pipe is OEM fitted.

I found also an american parts page. but the 2 european VIN doesnt work. so i`ll try next week to ask at local nissan dealer

here some pics

post-9933-037638300 1328442386_thumb.jpg

post-9933-043283700 1328442432_thumb.jpg

Edited by corolla turbo