HybridZ

How much power is actually needed?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a more helpful note. In order to achieve your goal, you might initially do some research on the IRS z cars traction limits with a daily street tire /and supporting improvements. My opinion is your going to need at least a 1.90 60ft and some serious power (500ish rw) to do an 11.0 ET. The extra power at these times don't do much good without traction. Side note: If you decide to try a racing tire, the majority of street cars with stock suspension I've seen gain a strong 2 tens off their 60ft with a drag radial of similar size.

I'm thinking I may run a bottle at the strip and just disconnect it when I go around the roundy course. I am thinking making 400whp with a 100 shot would probably make the most sense. I don't really need more than 400whp or so on the track. The 100 shot would be more for fun I suppose, I think anything more than 500whp the tech guys will have a spaz and I would get kicked off the track until some major "saftey" mods were done.

Back in the 60s the cobra teams wanted to run the 351 cleveland and not the 427 engine. In testing the 351 was faster around the track and more drive able. But Ford wanted them to only run the 427.

Could you tell me a little more about that?

I have a 71 240Z that with me in it weighs 2850, with a 385 sbc/700r4 with a 9" 3800 Edge converter has run a best of 10.80 at 125 on motor only. I run a 235/60-15 or a 255/60-15 Mickey Thompson drag radial. On a 175 shot plate system rolling out and hitting it around 30-40 feet out I have run a best of 9.72 at 140.

The motor makes 400 to the wheels and 570 on the sauce, I drive it everywhere and is pump gas friendly 93 octane.

Mike

I have a 71 240Z that with me in it weighs 2850, with a 385 sbc/700r4 with a 9" 3800 Edge converter has run a best of 10.80 at 125 on motor only. I run a 235/60-15 or a 255/60-15 Mickey Thompson drag radial. On a 175 shot plate system rolling out and hitting it around 30-40 feet out I have run a best of 9.72 at 140.

The motor makes 400 to the wheels and 570 on the sauce, I drive it everywhere and is pump gas friendly 93 octane.

Mike

Was that 10.80 run on motor only with the drag radials? What would you guess you would run with 245 sticky street tires? Also where did your power come in at, as in what rpm was the 400whp and you didn't mention how much tq you made at what rpm? Also aluminum heads and intake? what cam/intake heads did you run? port sizes? what diff did you run? r180 or r200 or a conversion to solid axle of sorts?

Can you tell us more about your nos setup? Tune? carb? controller? settings? intake manifold? what kind of plate? was it only at full throttle? what compression was the motor at? using the 93 octane pump gas what was done to modify to allow using only 93 octane with that large of a shot (or a shot at all for that matter)? did you just run her pig rich or what, etc? everything you can remember about it would be great.

Edited by vega

• 3 weeks later...

Was that 10.80 run on motor only with the drag radials? What would you guess you would run with 245 sticky street tires? Also where did your power come in at, as in what rpm was the 400whp and you didn't mention how much tq you made at what rpm? Also aluminum heads and intake? what cam/intake heads did you run? port sizes? what diff did you run? r180 or r200 or a conversion to solid axle of sorts?

Can you tell us more about your nos setup? Tune? carb? controller? settings? intake manifold? what kind of plate? was it only at full throttle? what compression was the motor at? using the 93 octane pump gas what was done to modify to allow using only 93 octane with that large of a shot (or a shot at all for that matter)? did you just run her pig rich or what, etc? everything you can remember about it would be great.

It ran 10.80 at 125 with a 235/60-15 Mickey Thompson drag radials, this car is driven all over the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. It is a 93 octane pump gas friendly 385 6" rod motor. Compression is 10.83 to 1 with .053 MLS gaskets, AFR 210cc Eliminator heads w/65cc chambers, port matched Victor Jr. intake, cam is a custom grind billet hyd. roller cam 247-255 at.50, 606 lift with a 110 ls on 1.60 roller rockers. Max power is made at 6400 rpm's on a Mustang dyno.

The nitrous set up is a full throttle switch combo with a button as well, this allows me to back off the bottle with out lifting the throttle. It is a NOS Big shot plate system (wet)-110 octane with a small 175 shot currently. I run 33 degree's of timing on motor and 24 on the bottle. I am currently upgrading the nos system for a progressive controller and nano nitrous system.

The rear end is a 3.70 gear R200 LSD with cv axles and Modern Motorsport custom stub axles. I also did a coilover swap in the rear with 250 lb. springs.

Zfan1:

I have nearly the same setup except a 383 cu in SBC. What transmission was installed in your car? Did you use a carb or EFI? You must be running flat top pistons with a .053 MLS gasket? With the AFR-210 heads, is there a loss of power at the lower RPMs? I have the AFR-195 heads to attain faster air flow through the intake and exhaust. Maybe I should have gone to the AFR-210. Are your AFR-210's the street or competition porting? Please advise. Thanks.

Zfan1:

I have nearly the same setup except a 383 cu in SBC. What transmission was installed in your car? Did you use a carb or EFI? You must be running flat top pistons with a .053 MLS gasket? With the AFR-210 heads, is there a loss of power at the lower RPMs? I have the AFR-195 heads to attain faster air flow through the intake and exhaust. Maybe I should have gone to the AFR-210. Are your AFR-210's the street or competition porting? Please advise. Thanks.

You are going to laugh, it is a built 700r4 with an Edge 9.5" racing converter approx. 3800 stall, this combo has lasted almost 8 yrs in my current ride. I drive it and race it everywhere too! I am running a 2 valve relief flat top piston 5cc from JE or SRP, cannot remember now. The 210's are better suited for a 400 sbc and I too like the 195's for motor only applications, that said the 210's love the sauce! The 210 are the street with some after market work in the bowls and runners. I am running a Proform 750 DP with 73P and 80S jetting.

I just ordered my 195cc heads on friday should be here in like 5 or 6 days they said. I did much research and found the jegs heads (currectly) are made by afr for them with jegs stamped on them. no wonder why the flow numbers aren't that different. As soon as i get them i am taking them to milten thunder head in east bether mn to get them flow tested.

I think with a lightweight and not much tire I can bennifit from running a higher rpm application.

Edited by vega

I just ordered my 195cc heads on friday should be here in like 5 or 6 days they said. I did much research and found the jegs heads (currectly) are made by afr for them with jegs stamped on them. no wonder why the flow numbers aren't that different. As soon as i get them i am taking them to milten thunder head in east bether mn to get them flow tested.

I think with a lightweight and not much tire I can bennifit from running a higher rpm application.

If you want to run a high rpm set up, I would suggest a 377, destroked 400 sbc. They are wicked and scream!

Hi vega. Just read your post, hope this helps you. I run a 77 280z 2900lb with driver no bumpers everything els is there. It does have a roll bar. 408sbc 10.9 comp 93 pump gas motor that makes 500hp @5600rpm and 518tq @4300rpm at the crank. turbo 400 trans 10" converter 3500stall manual vale body. I have not used trans brake 2 step or the 275hp nos kit yet. Keep breaking cv axels useing 255/60/15 drag radials. So far its managed a best of 10.85 at 124mph traction not a problem, broken axels always a broblem. The diff is welded to. What ever combo you decide to use 500hp at the crank should put you in the ball park.