HybridZ

Alternatives to ZG flares

MidnightRider

Has anyone ever thought of or put universal wide body flares or ones from other cars on an S30 before?

Perhaps some visual aid:

read6.jpg

S180SX.JPG

wide-nissan-silvia1.jpg

^Those are S13 flares from Tra Kyoto, but very pricey at $800+ for a set, and they don't look like they'd fit right without a body kit such as something like an MSA type 2 or 3.

Another alternative would be Porsche 944 race flares:

4255113_f520.jpg

Comments? Opinions? :icon13::icon14:

Has anyone ever? Yes. Everything that could be done, has been, forgotten, rediscovered, and asked about. Extra work to make the wrong parts fit vs parts that do fit. I have no idea why someone would opt to use a universal or non fitting part when these parts are made and already available for our cars besides wanting a custom unique look. Lets say you are an exception, the standard widebody fenders or flares we know and love are not what you want. You want something different. Then go for it. Cut up some fiberglass and start making your plans come true. Let us know how it goes. I would love to see some pictures of whatever you had in mind. Any sketches?.

Edited by Heroez

You can make your own design. But I wouldnt recommend it. Make a form and attach to car. Thats one way. So what exactly do you want to modify? A wheel opening? The whole car? Why not metal? Your question is kinda broad. I like Nissan designs, and also some widebody or simple touches. The use of the car would dictate the design for me. If its a daily car, I would keep it stock looking. A few period correct add ons is nice but more attention from the authorities.

rocket bunny kit from touge factory is sick. looking at that for my 240sx, would be interesting to see how the fenders looked on an s30

They also have those generic flares [ http://www.sakuraindustry.com/osc/images/fender/Flare_u1.jpg ] that you could put onto just about any car, kind of boring in my opinion.

Personally I think the ZG flares look great, but I'm with you on looking for something different/new.

Edited by bimic92

Has anyone ever? Yes. Everything that could be done, has been, forgotten, rediscovered, and asked about. Extra work to make the wrong parts fit vs parts that do fit. I have no idea why someone would opt to use a universal or non fitting part when these parts are made and already available for our cars besides wanting a custom unique look. Lets say you are an exception, the standard widebody fenders or flares we know and love are not what you want. You want something different. Then go for it. Cut up some fiberglass and start making your plans come true. Let us know how it goes. I would love to see some pictures of whatever you had in mind. Any sketches?.

I guarantee you that not "everything" has been done before, even when it comes to body modifications.

It's posts like this that push people away from wanting to post about new ideas, or variations on old ones.

I don't think the S13 flares as they are would suit an S30, but a similar look probably would. Like taking a ZG flare and extending them farther and more squared off than they are out of the box.

Two of my favorite wide® body modifications on the S30 are the Subtle Z kit, because well, it's subtle, but gives it that, "I know there's something different, but can't quite put my finger on it" look, and the YZ kit, because it's just bold, and actually flows extremely well with the original shape of the S30.

I've never seen that 944 kit before. Great post.

I love the way flares look on Z's, I'd just like to do something more original and see more variety.

My tires aren't wide enough to run this, but I really admire how a racebody was used on a street car, I like cross breeding track and street:

level57paladin.jpg?w=950

s301.jpg

Porsche 911 flares:

flare1071513920.jpg

I guarantee you that not "everything" has been done before, even when it comes to body modifications.

It's posts like this that push people away from wanting to post about new ideas, or variations on old ones.

I don't think the S13 flares as they are would suit an S30, but a similar look probably would. Like taking a ZG flare and extending them farther and more squared off than they are out of the box.

Two of my favorite wide® body modifications on the S30 are the Subtle Z kit, because well, it's subtle, but gives it that, "I know there's something different, but can't quite put my finger on it" look, and the YZ kit, because it's just bold, and actually flows extremely well with the original shape of the S30.

I guarantee hes not the first shakotan boy that has wide eyes for big chunks of fiberglass and wanting the VIP look for his car. What do you know about it? I suppose extending the front end of a toyota soarer or adding a shark nose has never been done either. I work fiberglass almost daily, and Ive customized and stretched. So when I hear a shakotans pipe dream I can answer with some kind of credibility.

Edited by Heroez

I guarantee hes not the first shakotan boy that has wide eyes for big chunks of fiberglass and wanting the VIP look for his car. What do you know about it? I suppose extending the front end of a toyota soarer or adding a shark nose has never been done either. I work fiberglass almost daily, and Ive customized and stretched. So when I hear a shakotans pipe dream I can answer with some kind of credibility.

I'm pretty sure this is a thread about alternatives to ZG flares and is completely irrelevant to "shakotan" or "VIP" style, I don't think anyone ever mentioned wheel fitment. I'm not sure what you mean by "shakotan boy" but I am not Japanese, do not live in Japan, and my car is not "VIP" style. :nono:

*By "shark nose" were you referring to the G Nose? I don't think you can answer with much credibility on ZG flares if you can't correctly identify a ZG dealer option.

Edited by MidnightRider

Im sorry you dont understand. Shakotan is a term for a type of enthusiast as well as a style, and I meant shark nose. If you want to discredit people in the industry that do this in favor of your amateur hobby opinion, no skin off my nose. I guess the real answer will come after the pipe dream phase.

Oh, this is something your dad is doing, er maybe another family member? Well that doesnt make you an amateur. My bad. You must be one of those experts in a can. Just add hot air. I would have expected an instant expert to realize there is no factory nose for that type of toyota and that I never mentioned any nissan part in that post, but thats a beef I have with the education system, and not you in particular. Let us know how the Pops fares in his non amateur project.