HybridZ

Can anyone point me to a guide of which LS1, LS2, L92, etc, engines will handle boost best (as in durable)

Can anyone point me to a guide of which LS1, LS2, L92, etc, engines will handle boost best (as in durable). Thick cylinder walls, good heads, larger displacement are all a plus. I am in the planning stage.

Edited by cyrus

Can anyone point me to a guide of which LS1, LS2, L92, etc, engines will handle boost best (as in durable). Thick cylinder walls, good heads, larger displacement are all a plus. I am in the planning stage.

Ls1Tech.com has plenty of info. Vortec engines are great for boost here's some info :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine ! I'm using a Vortec 4.8L for boost for my 260z ! Ton's of HP to be had from these engines. The aluminum blocks are great too but a lot of guys feel safer with the iron block plus you can pick them up cheap,$300-600 for a longblock.

Ls1Tech.com has plenty of info. Vortec engines are great for boost here's some info :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine ! I'm using a Vortec 4.8L for boost for my 260z ! Ton's of HP to be had from these engines. The aluminum blocks are great too but a lot of guys feel safer with the iron block plus you can pick them up cheap,$300-600 for a longblock.

Not entirely true. The new aluminum 5.3's (some) have better rods than others, and since they're lighter, they're more desirable.

THE TUNE THE TUNE THE TUNE THE TUNE.

With good head gaskets, head studs, and a good valve train, a stock shortblock will handle 20psi (e85 or race gas) :blink:

Yes i said 20. it would probably live forever on 7-9 lbs.

Case in point -->

P.S. The camera car (408 trans am) is over 1000hp to the wheels

All were filmed in mexico, and I don't know any of them :rolleyes:

Edited by SUNNY Z

Not entirely true. The new aluminum 5.3's (some) have better rods than others, and since they're lighter, they're more desirable.

THE TUNE THE TUNE THE TUNE THE TUNE.

With good head gaskets, head studs, and a good valve train, a stock shortblock will handle 20psi (e85 or race gas) :blink:

Yes i said 20. it would probably live forever on 7-9 lbs.

Case in point -->

P.S. The camera car (408 trans am) is over 1000hp to the wheels

All were filmed in mexico, and I don't know any of them :rolleyes:

I stand corrected ! Great info and crazy sick vidz of aluminum 5.3's !!!

I try not to post in threads that might just revolve around what I do for a living. However IMHO, I would stray away from an alum block, although they are great on weight savings aluminum moves a lot more than iron does and the more movement in the block the less it will seal which in turn means more power loss. The alum vortec blocks cant take much of a bore unlike the iron 5.3 and 4.8 can be bored to ls1 specs. Ls7 i would stay away from due to the Siamese cylinders and thin walls (well for boost they are too thin)

Ls3 blocks are nice for boost along with most any other ls block. just be cautious of vortec alum blocks.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO the best LS series for boost is the iron block (pre 2008) 4.8/5.3 due to the 9.4 CR and the thickest cylinder walls of ANY PRODUCTION LS motor. Of course the cost is nice too.

Spot on tuning is REQUIRED too (as previously mentioned).

Edited by Cable

• 4 weeks later...

Step 1: Fo to junk yard and grab whatever they have available. Best bet will be a 4.8/5.3 long block for a few hundred bucks. LS or not, who gives a ****. Throw boost at it and the LS "coolness" aren't really a factor any more are they?

Step 2: Get home, open a beer, pull heads, clean, re ring, arp head studs, headgaskets.

Step 3: Flip manifolds, make y pipe for turbo, add turbo bits and some fuel. Drink some more.

Step 4: Add management. Tune.take shots in-between pulls.

Step 5: Make 700hp.

Step 6: Turn boost down because 700hp is retarded in a

2300lb street car.

Step 7: Get shitfaced because you just made 700hp with a junkyard motor and a couple grand in GOOD parts in a 2300lb car.

"LS engines" or what ever magazine made like 980hp on a $3k budget on a junkyard engine and eBay turbo build. Impressive really, wouldn't expect it to last long tho. Can these series engines(I hate linking them with LS's because they're not the same lol) are insane with boost. Mix in tuning, GOOD tuning and you'll make enough torque to literally tear your car apart.

To answer the original post/question, skip the LS and just get an old truck 4.8/5.3 if you're gonna throw boost at it. Smile!