HybridZ

vq35 wiring keep harness or hack?

slowride

Hello,

I am swapping in a vq35 into my 76 260z. I have the entire harness and gauges including ignition, key, antenna ring, etc. I will be mounting stock gauges from the 350z into a basic dash in my Datsun. Should I have the harness chopped and remove NATS ? Or should I just jam the whole harness in and let it be? How hard will it be to use the 350z ignition? I have seen the 350z column mounted in a datsun before...

Thanks for the input.

Edited by slowride

Hey Please read the VQ 35 build threads. you'll find that the VQ35 will run on a hacked harness, but the main thing is to have the same computer and BCU/Key from the donor car. It doesn't matter if they're from a different car than the harness, but it's best to have them all from one donor.

The 350Z ECU is paired with the BCU much like a Bluetooth type connection, but in software. If you try to use a different BCU then the computer will go into Limp mode and you'll have to use a Dealer ConsultIII to reset the pair. The Ignition et al really isn't that hard. The Key for the Donor car/ECU is read through the Nats ant. any nats ant will work. From there it's compared to what's in the BCU and ECU to say it's valid, then it'll allow the engine to start. If you have the stock parts, I'd definitely recommend sticking with the Stock setup. Sure the harness hacks and ECU hacks will fix the need to have a BCU, but your car will be much harder to steal if you have NATS enabled. That's the main reason I'm leaving mine in.

I hope you'll put up a build thread on your Car. I'd love to see more VQ love on here. Stock 350Z gauges will require a Diff change at the min to run the Speedo. Have you Dl'd the 350Z manuals yet?

Phar

hey thanks for the quick reply.

i have viewed the build threads and it is what has inspired me to take on this project. I am planning on using the 350z steering column and igniton and a push start like where the datsun ignition currently is.

I have the whole rear end assembly off the 350z, I was hoping the diff mount from arizona zcar will allow me to use the 350z rear end?

i have looked and have not found too much info other than I think the rear end doesn't sit completely center on the 350z?

Sorry I was away, The 350Z diff is a shortnosed R200, so that mounting kit will work just fine. no it isn't exacly center in the 350z, but you'll be needing new axles anyway, so don't worry about that. I think they said the 86' 300zx axles should fit if you change the bearing cups to the 6 bolt ones from the 350Z. I haven't sorted that out yet either. If not we can have some custom shafts made. Gotta read more about it, I know the swap has been done. Does your Diff have the limited slip in it?

Do you have all the harnesses from the donor? Yo need the engine/dash harness at the min, but if you can get both body harnesses and the door harness you'll be in better shape for adding stuff later. I was keeping my stock harnesses since I want to use the 350Z cruise control which is built into the computer/bcu. Door harnesses for setting up the power windows/mirrors (using S2000 mirrors) Body harness and trunk harness for power hatch opening, and tailights/fuel pump/speedo. I know this is a ton, but I'm mentioning it to save you headache, I have been learning and collecting parts for over a year. Did you read through the VQ swaps and my thread? Have you found the 350Z FSM yet? You'll need it.

hey

i didnt keep the back of the harness for taillights or the door harness...I will not be using power windows or power locks or power mirrors. Yes I do have the complete harness and column, ignition, guages, ecu etc.

I do believe I have the LSD as my car had the brembo package. It was out of an 2005 convertable. How do I check if I have the LSD?

I have been reading through your posts as well as skimming through the FSM. I am just starting to dig into this project and will create a thread once I get into it.

Thanks for the reply!!

I believe the Diff you can tell from the stamp# on it, and/or if it's got a finned diff cover on it. The only way to be sure is to open it up, but you can try turning one side and see if the other side turns the same direction or not. This is of course more difficult with the diff not mounted. There's a thread for that...

K cool. Does it have the Finned Cover too? Either way it'll probably be better than your stock Differential. Those aluminum sensor wheels are what you'll read your speedo off from. That is if you stick with the stock gauges. Do you have the axles for it already too? I mean the ones off the donor? You'll need the bearing cups to adapt to the 280Z wheels.

Keep us apprised on where you are in the swap.

Phar

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...