HybridZ

Replica 240z

Glad to have seen this thread, not everyone on here is in America, I'm from Northern Ireland and will definitly consider using some of your parts in my future Z build. I really like the look of the carbon bonnet and would save me ordering one from America.

Can you tell any diifference beetween stock metal wings and doors and your FRP ones? I'd like to make my project as light as possible but not at the expense of aesthetics.

Just out of interest how much is the complete shell?

Thanks for the nice comments :)

I have made some enquires over shipping costs.........

So far postage and packaging on a pair of door cards to America (doesn't seem to matter where in America) is £70.00 ($111.00), and for a pair of doors it's £150.00 ($237.00). I will try royal mail tomorrow to see if they are cheaper.

We haven't sent to America, do you guys get hammered with an import tax??

If we buy from America we have to pay a chunk on top of the part price!!

We can make the doors with full inners for all the handles etc or cutaway inners.

doors002.jpg

doors003.jpg

doorinner.jpg

Let me know if you want to see any other pictures of parts.

Moderns30 I think it would actually be a good idea to get a shell over there, if I can afford it one day I'll bear you in mind :)

EF Ian ,you can't tell the difference by looking at the fitted panels but you can tell they are not steel if you rap them with your knuckles if that makes sense.

Cheers

Craig

My home email is frpcraig@hotmail.co.uk if anyone needs to ask me anything.

moderns30, I received your personal message but I am not familiar with your site to reply :(

srgunz, what is 'Alan the purists' last name??? Or which uk club does he belong to??

I am a member of the uk 'zclub' and at the start the members felt uneasy about what we do but now we seem to be accepted at least for our panels. I wonder if it is the same Alan I am thinking about??

The shipping costs are going to be a problem I fear for our parts but as we build another full car up over our summer I would be happy to put some pics up if there is interest.

Cheers

Craig

I'm glad you found us over here...

It's actually part of the forum rules for us to not attack the "purist" way or all the other styles of modifications/engines, OEM, non-OEM, domestic parts/import parts/JDM only.... I love it and I'm sure you'll find it refreshing.

It's a pity that you're around the world from us in the states, as you work looks spectacular and your offerings are what a lot of us really are looking for.

There are a decent number of guys who make parts, but nothing on the scale you guys are doing and with the variety of really nice pieces.

moderns30, I received your personal message but I am not familiar with your site to reply :(

srgunz, what is 'Alan the purists' last name??? Or which uk club does he belong to??

I am a member of the uk 'zclub' and at the start the members felt uneasy about what we do but now we seem to be accepted at least for our panels. I wonder if it is the same Alan I am thinking about??

The shipping costs are going to be a problem I fear for our parts but as we build another full car up over our summer I would be happy to put some pics up if there is interest.

Cheers

Craig

No worries. There is a little button in the lower right side that say "Add Reply" you can just click that.

Alan the purist (aka) HS30 from the UK must be having an absolute

heart attack over what you are doing.

He always attacks our clubs over here. We love it. :D

Huh?

Who on earth is this "purist" you're talking about? Can't be me, as I'm categorically nothing of the sort.

I have absolutely no problem with what Craig is doing. Why on earth would I? I have FRP parts on four out of my five cars, and I've imported plenty of the stuff from Japan ( at great cost! ) so a good quality manufacturer closer to home is very welcome.

The only problem with the complete monocoque / bodyshell idea, as far as I can see, is one of identity. You can't really use one for most of the historic motorsport events that the original cars would have been eligible for, and it probably would not be competitive in any class or category that it would be eligible for. In most of Europe you would have a hard time convincing the licensing authorities that it is a '240Z', and that throws up the question of legality in street use. You can get it registered, licensed and on the road, but there's still quite a few grey areas to contend with, and that puts potential customers off ( in my opinion ).

There's a LOT of work in bolting parts up to a 'shell like this, and once you've done all the work what have you actually got? That's the kind of question that Craig will face from potential customers. As far as I am aware, Craig is building up his own road legal car using the FRP 'shell, and ( I think this is correct, if not please correct me Craig ) he is using essentially stock UK market 240Z running gear. The finished FRP 'shelled car will be an interesting comparison with a stock steel-bodied car. I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

I've seen some of his products ( they look good to me ), and I hear that he is a trustworthy supplier. Can't say more than that. Certainly no "heart attack", or any other kind of "attack" from me. You might want to get my username right next time though...

Everything HS30-H said rings true and are the first impressions with anything like this. I am hoping that the completed car will be fantastic and the parts will work well. I would love to hear all about how it compares, favorably or not. This is a wonderful project and I am glad for the experimentation and interest from this community.

Wow those Resin CF parts look awesome! Mark is making his own here, but for his race car, and the finish isn't so pretty. I will certainly check out the site, but shipping would need to be freight container. Not so cheap. Especially witht he bulk of the body. But stood on end and crated may not be so bad. once it's here in the states, the freight wouldn't be so rough. I think the tariffs between the UK and US aren't so bad. If you had a contact to ship through mexico we'd get it cheap.

I'm glad the project is of interest to those on this forum, it is always great to get some good feedback. I have broad shoulders so if anyone has any positive critisism feel free to comment as you may end up helping.

The shipping costs are a pain I know, the trouble is you get charged on 'volumetric weight', so I send a spoiler in a box that weighs next to nothing and get charged for 70kgs!! I am waiting to hear from a guy who has recently seen our car and loves it but the good news is he has a international courier company so I may be able to do a deal with him. I'll get some box sizes to him for various parts and see what he comes up with, including container prices.

HS30-H....Alan, thanks for the kind words. I hadn't really considered the car to be used in regulated motorsports events tbh (although that would be nice!), a road legal car or a track day car is more what I had in mind. In England at least I know the car can be made road legal and retain the identity from a car you are 'repairing' shall we say, as far as the rest of the world I have no idea :(

I want to make a 'full on' track car for fun without a doubt but I need to test the car using all the stock mechanicals from my 72 uk car first. There is no real logic to this other than for my own personal information. As you say it will be interesting to see how it compares to a steel car around a track. I don't really mean on a time basis either I just want to get a feel for the car if that makes sense??

The bolting up off parts is a doddle if you mean the mechanical side of things, the main issue for a road car if you want it to look exactly like the original is all the interior parts, there are lots of captive nuts and little things like that on the oe car that are not on the f/g car. I wont pretend that will be a quick job for sure.

Thanks Pharaohabq, is Mark going to paint his c/f parts or does he want them on show??

I can offer some advice on post finishing carbon if the finish needs to be lovely and glossy.

Let me know. I have had a look at marks website (thanks) and the standard of work is truly outstanding.I will follow that website....does Mark still post his progress on here?? (Hi Mark if you do)

Cheers

Craig

Hi Benton, Great question :) Lets do it!!

Seriously though I have taken all the z car production out of the main factory and now make everything close to home in units dedicated to this.

What was initially a hobby has turned into something relatively serious.

The problem with relocating is all the products are made by me or under supervision by me and without being a big head that is why the parts are always top quality. We have never had an item returned.

If I set up a place abroad then I would be very lucky to employ someone who cares enough if I wasn't there. Does that make sense??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, my friend has sent me some quotes to the USA.

They are much better than I thought, individual parts are costly but we can get a a box with say 3 pairs of doors over for approx $500 and a container which will fit heaven knows how many parts in (or cars) for about $2000.

Group buys are tricky especially in a country as big as yours but doesn't seem to pricey,

Cheers

Craig

Hi Craig,

I'm now in a process for someone who want a Silhouette trackdaycar and he showed some interest in the FRP shell and body. I live in the Netherlands and already had contact with Stephen.

I will def. order some parts from you for my own Datsun, but would love to make a car from your company to race on the tracks. A speed six or vq35de engine is what I'm thinking about.

Only problem is how to get a glass front window for the car and also the suspension parts. Would be nice if we can use BMW suspension on the frame. Cheap and easy to come by.

Will keep in touch!

Kees

Your parts shipment prices look about right. A crate big enough to ship a full sized motorcycle in will run $500 LA to Rotterdam.

40' HC container was $3500 booked on the US end, €3500 booked on Rotterdam end (so guess where booking is accomplished since that revelation!)

Without running gear a standard 40' should fit 7 easily. I fit five rollers, a bare tub, and a front halfcut PLUS tires into one...

Hell, I'm just happy complete doors are available from a trusted quality source once again. Are they polyester or epoxy layup (the doors)?

I'm happily stoked you're having success! Shipping is shipping, best to hope for is funding someone shipping containers so you can dump stuff in along for the ride!!! ;^)