HybridZ

Replica 240z

That tubular chassis Z on recreation reactive is much liked and talked about on our uk forum.

There are cars people like or don't but everyone over here loves that one!

stony the moulds for the car shell and panels are all the original shape. We figured it makes more sense to make the moulds oe then the car can be modified to suit, rather than make a fancy design then have trouble making the car look oe again.

For your interest a few pics below of some carbon bits we make with resin infusion.

christian4.jpg

Christian.jpg

zroof014.jpg

And the new dash.....

zdash.jpg

dashsean2.jpg

The dash is black gel rather than carbon. To get the dash finished in gloss black is too much work tbh as it is a split mould so they need to be painted or flocked.

Cheers

Craig

That tubular chassis Z on recreation reactive is much liked and talked about on our uk forum.

There are cars people like or don't but everyone over here loves that one!

stony the moulds for the car shell and panels are all the original shape. We figured it makes more sense to make the moulds oe then the car can be modified to suit, rather than make a fancy design then have trouble making the car look oe again.

For your interest a few pics below of some carbon bits we make with resin infusion.

christian4.jpg

Christian.jpg

zroof014.jpg

And the new dash.....

zdash.jpg

dashsean2.jpg

The dash is black gel rather than carbon. To get the dash finished in gloss black is too much work tbh as it is a split mould so they need to be painted or flocked.

Cheers

Craig

Craig,

I understand it was more of a wish list thing... it would be extremely easy to mold them into and existing FRP shell then to mold them to a steel chassis.

Love the door panels !!!!!!

Thanks stony.

mark it would be similar to installing in a steel car but I would need the design of the cage during the build.

Instead of welding footprints (plates/boxes) on the steel chassis to mount the cage I can locally reinforce the areas to accomodate. The steel guys will hate me for saying this but there are advantages with frp over steel when it comes to load transfer. A thin steel floorpan is usually plated with thicker steel. This of course works but what is happening is the foot of the cage now has a larger surface area to try and punch through the floor. A shock load, as in impact, would then transfer the load through the plate and direct it to the outer edges of the plate where the floor is again thin.

The beauty of frp is you can taper these high load areas and spread the load away from a direct point.

I am building my own car and I will be happy with a good roll hoop connected across the rear struts and some door bars for road use and the odd track day. If it is a car for extreme driving I would mount a full cage in the shell and connect the cage through the bulkead/firewall (what do you guys call it???) to the steel subframe.

You would also need to put a thin plate either side of the floor mountings for the cage, not for any real strenght issues but you don't want to wind nuts and bolts into the f/g and damage it.

Would it be possible to buy the full chassis and actually rivet\bond the OE firewall and forward steel portions, ex: rails, engine cradle\suspension mounts and inner fenders, that would simplify front end assembly substantially? Not to mention registering the car in the US! One VIN is on the passenger strut cavity, another on the dash and the last one rivited on the drivers side door a little sugery and a fully road legal Z is not out of the question, plus a good template to re-install the heater box. along with the bonding a pair of steal beams can connect the factory rails to the floor pan of the FRP rear portion. What is the cost of a full chassis minus the front subframe (you can message me if needed)? I would love to make a 'New 240z', the beauty of driving it daily and no worries of door dings, or rust FINALLY! the body will not fail before the motor! Ive been Z-less for too long!

Eric Wolf

Thanks modern S30, the dash is new so haven't updated the website yet but expect it to be under £200.

ericshere03, Like I said everyone wants something different :)

Do you mean buy the bodyshell/tub and then fasten a cut off section of the steel car onto it?? I suppose it's possible but I don't think we would do it tbh. We can provide a shell if you want to go that route yourself. The front end assembly is a doddle with the subframe with regards to all major mechanicals, you need to fab up some inner wings to mount bits and bobs on. I know what we do will pass our tests so can't really comment on the safety or legal aspects of your idea...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to say, I am intrigued. I am in the middle of a pre-season rebuilding of my track car. I was actually thinking about the possibility of combination of tube frame and FRP replacement of the whole works. My chassis, she has had a long life, and isn't going to last much longer without a lot of work. I also feel dirty when I consider finding another decent chassis and taking off of the road.

Certain parts, like the floor and the firewall must be made of steel or aluminum according to the rules. Same for the the fuel cell box. I would be really curious to hear what a no frills shell would cost and what options can be had (like no floor, firewall, or spare tire well). have you considered the possibility of a removable roof for the purpose of shipping? I am not sure what that might do to the structural integrity, but that isn't too much of a concern for those thinking of putting in a cage. Would make the cage a heck of a lot easier to build as well. I know many years ago when the PO of my current car built the cage, they cut the roof off and welded it back on. Not what I would have done, but yeah...

Hi Wondersparrow, we are getting asked a lot about the same thing with regards to an f/g shell over a tube frame.

If there is no floor or firewall then there isn't much left of the shell tbh so wouldn't be expensive, I'll have a measure up and post a price.

The shell mould is in multiple pieces so making just the parts you want is not an issue....

Sending the roof sepearate might be an issue as you would have to make sure the roof and screen pillars were attached correctly for the screen fitment etc, but can be done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I saw someone asking about fenders, saying they weren't listed on the site. For those who don't know "wings" is Britspeak for fenders. Oh yeah I'm curious, if someone built a complete car using all of your parts and everything else stock, what would the weight savings be? And what is the price for the complete kit, shipping and import aside?