HybridZ

engine help needed

Okay i can't seam to find where i read about oil dilution. The datsun service manual states to check oil for fuel but it doesn't say what to do if fuel is present. I read somewhere that the s30's have an common issue which causes fuel to get into the oil but at that time i didnt have the problem so i payed no attn. Oops. Can any one help? The head is an e88 and the block is from a 280 and now my oil smells like gas bad.

Ya I'm almost 90% sure that it's the fuel pump. Carbs can't really get fuel into your oil unless your head is cracked/has a hole in it, or perhaps if your valve seals are really bad, but you'd be burning a lot of oil then. I can't really think of another way you can get fuel in your oil unless you accidentally poured some in.

Unvented blow-by gasses or raw gas washing out the oil on the cylinder walls can make your oil smell like fuel. Check/refresh your PCV system and change your oil. Perform a compression test as well.

Edited by Leon

Fuel pump sounds most likely to me too. But yeah, need to change your oil since the fuel will not do your rings/cylinder walls any good. Are your Carbs running really rich? Not sure if one was leaking if it could seep into the cylinder. If you were EFI, I'd say it was a leaking injector, but you're carb'd.

• 2 weeks later...

Putting in an electric pump is dangerous unless properly done, and definitely NOT a simple fix for your problem. Take your mechanical pump off, take it apart, and check for a bad diaphragm.Replace if necessary.Do NOT simply install an electric pump that comes on with the key in the "on" position....this is a very dangerous fire hazard.