HybridZ

Looking for quality red paint? Undecided

voltron_boi

My 260z is getting prep for paint, and it should be ready to be painted in 2 weeks. I will be going with the factory color red paint like my engine bay in my build thread. Im in the market for some quality paint, not cheap or very expensive. Just somthing that will last me 3-4 years, while the car is being garage kept most of the time.

Take a look at PPG's line called Shopline. It is pretty much like the OMNI line but with lower VOC's. I went with a red in ShopLine and it actually was not too bad at ~40$ a quart. Call a local supplier and get a quote.

Waterborne is just expensive. And then there is also single stage still.

Edited by ihavearustedz

PPG paint but Red is expensive paint

Wickiewicked, I am now debating ppg or DuPont as of now.

Take a look at PPG's line called Shopline. It is pretty much like the OMNI line but with lower VOC's. I went with a red in ShopLine and it actually was not too bad at ~40$ a quart. Call a local supplier and get a quote.

Waterborne is just expensive. And then there is also single stage still.

Ihavearustedz, thanks I would look into Shopline. But, by any chance do you mind posting up some picture of your car with the Shopline red paint? My friend quote me about $1100.00 for paint, supplies, prep, and shop time. He mention the paint brand, but I forgot what it was, its somthing about the paint that is already premix with clear coat. Once I get the name brand I would post it up. On the other hand, how many quarts of paint does it take to cover a s30.

Most reds are some what tranparent and the level of transparency differs from brand to brand as well as product line. Lesser cost paints tend to need more coats for complete coverage . Many of the catalysed single stage colors are very user friendly , sand and buff nicely and have good lifespans. Stay with the higher grade products if you can as they have better UV protection , better gloss retention, ect. At $1100.00 you friend is being very cost consious. The amount of color needed can vary on the transparency issue and brand . 4 quarts should do the exterior and jambs but not under the hood . Check the color formula for the recommended sealer color as this will minimize some of the coverage issues you may encounter . Make especially sure the sealer or primer coat that you are applying your color over is consistent . Applying color over a multi colored patched subcoat can result in a dark or light spot in the final color coat.

We would use Du Pont Chroma One here at our shop for a refinsh repair similar to yours .

Just got done talking to my neighbor, and he say it's Rm paint(Basf)single stage. I have not herd of these paint before, and was just wondering if these are okay. I ask him about the shopline, but he claims that what he has is way better. He can get a gallon, with the other supplies to mix it for $425.

I can get you ppg single stage with hardener and activator for less. Send me the paint code and I will see if I can mix it up. I would suggest single stage for a solid color.

I sent you a pm, :)

^^^ super guy to work with. As long as you dont try anything fancy like flake or pearl then single stage will work great for you. You can always toss on a coat of high quality clear just for better UV protection.

Can clearcoat really be spray on any single stage, or only on the name paint brand?

Edited by voltron_boi

There is clearcoat that can go over single stage. Example- PPG essentials single stage can be clearcoated with ESC600. Mixing a bit of single stage with clear for the tie coat, then a coating of straight clear. Though Ive seen it sprayed directly over it. Single stage has the clear added to it as stated above. Single stage urethane is nice and durable, and easy to work with. Adding a clearcoat is optional. Also an added expense. Plan on paying an additional 160 dollars for the esc600 kit.

Edited by Heroez

There is clearcoat that can go over single stage. Example- PPG essentials single stage can be clearcoated with ESC600. Mixing a bit of single stage with clear for the tie coat, then a coating of straight clear. Though Ive seen it sprayed directly over it. Single stage has the clear added to it as stated above. Single stage urethane is nice and durable, and easy to work with. Adding a clearcoat is optional. Also an added expense. Plan on paying an additional 160 dollars for the esc600 kit.

As long as that kit gives me that glass look and protect my paint then I will be willing to pay that price. Add that esc600 kit to the ppg paint that I pm you, then give me a total. Thanks

Edited by voltron_boi

I bought my paint from SPI. I heard about them on one of the hot rod boards and people were very positive about the quality. They have a basic red that was pretty reasonable.

c2755046.jpg

Nice red color, that's kinda the color that I am trying to get. Do you happend to have the paint code for it. Plus how much did it cost you for that paint kit?

2 picture from member ihaverustedz using red ppg Shopline, that he sent to me

Hey here's only I took today in the sun. This is with the shopline paint and DCU2010 clearcoat.

027da4fc.jpg

Here's another picture. These were About 2 hours fresh after they came out the paint booth.

0d99663f.jpg

• 1 month later...

^^^ super guy to work with. As long as you dont try anything fancy like flake or pearl then single stage will work great for you. You can always toss on a coat of high quality clear just for better UV protection.

I'm not a painter but in your shoes. Never painted before, researching, tight budget, ect. So far this is what I figured.

You are only looking for a 4-5 year paint job. You are keeping the car in the garage. Most of the gloss will come from a clear coat. And yes you may pay less for a paint but in the end pay more cause it covers less. One thing painters tell me is that cheap paint is harder to blend if needed. Not sure why but even the paint counter told me so.

For a $1100 dollar paint job I wouldn't stress the paint if the painter is buying it. If he knows what your goal is he should know what to put into it.

All that said. It came out very nice!!

My boy and I painted his 240 with R-M UNO-HD a two part single stage paint over PPG primer D822. This was our first paint job and we were very happy with how it went and the end result. Very high gloss and after two years outside in the rain of the Willamette Valley it still looks like new.

post-26988-018840200 1333811146_thumb.jpg