HybridZ

240z or 280z for v8 transplant?

grannyknot

Hi guys, I've read several times that the 280z is the better/stronger body to drop a V8 into but just came across

Bad Dogs site http://baddogparts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_8 If I were to weld in Bad dogs 240z rear rails or even his 280z rails, wouldn't I have enough strength in the frame to handle the torque of the V8?

Thanks,

Chris

A 240 is just fine. Lots of opinions out there. Here's mine. Weld in the Bad Dog rails, bolt or weld in a roll bar, and add strut bars and you're fine so long as your unibody is solid to begin with.

The 280 is stronger in many areas over the 240, not just the frame rails. But all that re-enforcement adds weight too.

Your not racing, you're fine.

The Bad Dog sub-frame rails front and rear to do not strengthen the torsional stiffness of the 240Z. I installed them on my 240Z and all they did was make the floors stronger. The sheet metal in the floors is so thin, that I did not weld the Bad Dog rails to the floor. I used 2 inch spacing and 10-32 screws and fender washers on the upper side and it made the FLOOR much more solid. Did nothing for torsional strength. The rocker boxes under the doors are one of the strongest parts of the 240Z. Welding a roll-cage to these channels helps with strength. Welding an "X" to the back of the roll bar back to the rear strut towers would yield torsional stiffness for the rear of the vehicle. Obtaining torsional stiffness for the front is more difficult. A six or eight point roll cage may add torsional strength to the front.

The sure fire way to handle the engine torque is to put a welded torque tube from the rear diff to the transmission.