HybridZ
OilKiller

South Texas engineer with a new 75 Z turbo

First of all, thank you in advance to all of the forum members. I have been a silent reader for a year or so and have used this site to satiate my appetite for my own Z. I am very impressed by the willingness to help and the support everyone gives.

I am a mechanical engineer located in San Antonio. I work in an HD engine research lab and know a fair amount of "book stuff" but have pretty clean knuckles.

I have always wanted one and the wait is over! I picked this one up last weekend for a great deal. She’s a Hybrid and I am hoping she may have a build mention somewhere in this forum that I haven’t found. Let me know if you recognize her.

She’s got some problems (wont post them here) but nothing daunting.

post-14240-084706400 1331568356_thumb.jpg

post-14240-063053700 1331568299_thumb.jpg

Yes I did find her on CL, the seller said he got several calls from out of state. Probably a bunch of members :D

Thanks to anyone who passed on it, Finders Keepers! :P

Didnt notice your from SA! Are you active at all with the local Z guys?

Edited by OilKiller

Just got on ZSport.org recently, but hadn't been out yet to anything .. I just picked this Z up after a few years of being without one, so I really just became active on the boards again recently as well. I looked at it a few times, but it was more than I wanted to spend on a starting point, plus an I6 is nowhere in the cards for me whether force inducted or not ! lol

I've got my tank dropped and at the radiator shop getting boiled and resealed, so I'm hoping to have the car driveable this week! Can't wait!

Here's my last Z

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/537894/1971-datsun-240z#5378940007

Yeah I saw that he had it listed for a while! I think I lucked out on finding mine, aside from some body rot it's in pretty amazing shape ... Not too worried about the rust spots on the body at the moment, it's solid in the important places .. well solid enough ... going to need frame rails and just a little bit of sheet metal work, but I haven't found any real bad spots yet :)

What side of town are you on?

Far west. I don’t have break lights yet and I’m not crazy enough to dive SA without them so i wont be doing any meet and greets yet, previous owner seemed to have a few electrical problems and the back half of the car is without wiring.

When i got it I was having an issue with sputtering between idle and ~25% throttle and then it would come on strong. I found the fuel pressure had been set at around 60 psi at idle :blink: ... I adjusted it to around 30-35 at idle and now its runs smooth and strong. I will have to pull the plugs and such because i think it has been running really rich for a while.

It also had an issue with the alternator. He had a new one in box but i was curious why he hadn’t already changed it, not a real hard job. I found the one installed looked real clean and new. I checked the belt tension and found it was pretty loose and when you tugged on it the alternator moved. The slotted bolt was tight, but the bolt holding the tension rod to the block was loose and it allowed a little play. Went ahead and changed the alternator and tightened that bolt. Voltage looks good, but i ran out of gas before I could check much more.

3 days in and its moving the right direction, really enjoying the tinkering. I can’t wait till its back on the highway, but for now it will be around my neighborhood.

Far west. I don’t have break lights yet and I’m not crazy enough to dive SA without them so i wont be doing any meet and greets yet, previous owner seemed to have a few electrical problems and the back half of the car is without wiring.

When i got it I was having an issue with sputtering between idle and ~25% throttle and then it would come on strong. I found the fuel pressure had been set at around 60 psi at idle :blink: ... I adjusted it to around 30-35 at idle and now its runs smooth and strong. I will have to pull the plugs and such because i think it has been running really rich for a while.

It also had an issue with the alternator. He had a new one in box but i was curious why he hadn’t already changed it, not a real hard job. I found the one installed looked real clean and new. I checked the belt tension and found it was pretty loose and when you tugged on it the alternator moved. The slotted bolt was tight, but the bolt holding the tension rod to the block was loose and it allowed a little play. Went ahead and changed the alternator and tightened that bolt. Voltage looks good, but i ran out of gas before I could check much more.

3 days in and its moving the right direction, really enjoying the tinkering. I can’t wait till its back on the highway, but for now it will be around my neighborhood.

Cool deal, yeah I'm down in the SW off of 90 and Hunt Ln. I'm not thinking I'll be getting it out anytime soon either except maybe just spin around the block or something once I ge the tank back, then I'm immediately dropping the suspension for coilovers and bushings, so hopefully I can get it all back buttoned up around the end of the month and have a little fun with it before it gets too hot out .. The AC works phenominally right now, but it hasn't really been tested by summer temps yet. Hopefully it can keep up, I'm pretty excited to get into a Z with working AC! My last one was completely gutted and SUCKED driving in the sumertime (was stationed in Cali at the time).

I'll probably have to have the head done once I get it running and do a valve adjustment (to see if it needs it), I'm anticipating the valve adjustment not quieting the top down much at this point, but I'm HOPING it will!

I caught a glimpse of a beautiful red 240z occasionally up near stone oak but have never been able to catch the guy, sadly one of the reasons why I stopped going to the z sport meetings was because I was tired of seeing nothing but 350z's all the time. If some s30 guys start showing up I just might make it a point to go by there. Anyone planning on going to the nismo fiesta? Errr.... in an early zcar? :)

I MIGHT be able to make that, even with the 280 ... Crossing fingers!

Would this be the Red one you speak of?

CopyofLowrear-1.jpg

I can see how the group has more modern platforms, but I think that's just due to the volume of what's out there. They seem to be pretty cool so far and seem to be as excited to see S30's as we are around here.

The one I've seen a few times is a lowered but mostly stock looking 240z with some deep dish panasports on it.

I think I'll make it a point to cruise out to the next meeting in my 240z. I should be able to get it all put together by then!

I was just talking this morning with my good friend Trey... He’s a real big Z guy and stop going to meets because of the new cars. He has three I think, one is Silver on this side of town. Maybe he is who you saw. Also has a perfect black hybrid flare body and a JDM IMSA... :blink:

He has been an awesome resource.

We should get it rolling again and show up to a Zsport meeting together. Brake lights are all that’s holding me back now, flaking clear and all

Oh and i am right at 1604 and 90, pass hunt lane every day on my way home.

Edited by OilKiller

I was just talking this morning with my good friend Trey... He’s a real big Z guy and stop going to meets because of the new cars. He has three I think, one is Silver on this side of town. Maybe he is who you saw. Also has a perfect black hybrid flare body and a JDM IMSA... :blink:

He has been an awesome resource.

We should get it rolling again and show up to a Zsport meeting together. Brake lights are all that’s holding me back now, flaking clear and all

Oh and i am right at 1604 and 90, pass hunt lane every day on my way home.

No ish? I'm off of Kriewald in between the 90 access rd and Pue ... sounds like you're pretty close. I used to have spare parts that would have got you up and running, but I got rid of them just last year when I decided that I wasn't going to do another Z .. lol .. silly me ..

I checked the pick and pull website and their inventory says they've got a couple S30's out in the yard. Was goin to go check it out sometime this week. Need a portion of a cut wiring harness or something?

Edited by Poundz9oh9

Great! yeah maybe, im getting into the back panel today to look at it. I am hoping that the wires are all there. I havent chekced the whole fuze box yet (i know i know) but that and the fuseable links are what my buddy trey told me to start with. Hoping that every fix will be as easy as the fuel pressure and alternator. I will let you know if i need anything, i got a few interior pieces i could use. Maybe i will meet you down there.

Trey' is a good guy, it's been 10 years since I last say him... Right around the time he debuted hnis burgandy fairlady. I bought my fenders and some misc interior bits from him when I was building my turbo car. It's good to hear he still has the turbo beast and the silver 280. Is he still at SWR?

If he stopped going to the meetings because of the new stuff the we should start a San Antonio classic imports club and mix marques with some old euro tin! Would love to hang out with some car guys without all the club drama and dues.

I think I will make it a point to be at the next meeting, maybe I'll see yall there.

Yeah hes still out here, I agree about the old import club. It would be very cool. I know hes been pretty busy building a cabin i think..?

Oh and the list of problems with the Z grew yesterday. There is a shutter from the back left wheel but i havent crawled underneeth since its been in my garage. It could be a few things but seems to be worse when slowing down without braking.

I know i need to replace my diff mounts because it rocks back during changing throttle.

Oh and the problem with the sputtering under slight throttle is still there, thought the fuel pressure fixed it. I now think it may be an intake leak because the problem stops right when boost/vac hits 0. It was a one step forward two steps back kinda week.

To top it off I found that the front left rotor has deep groves in it and there is a grinding feel to the brakes... maybe lost a pad? Dont know how i missed that! :huh:

This is when everyone tells me... get used to it, its only just started!

Lol ..

Get used to it, it's only just started ;)

I figured I'd just approach this car like it needs EVERYTHING, that way I'm not disappointed when I find something wrong ;)

Just talked to the radiator shop and found out my tank is ready for pick up .. can't wait to crank her up this afternoon .. well, maybe I'll wait. It's kind of nice having the extra space underneath whil I pull the suspension apart :)

Sending the suspension out for coilovers tomorrow or sat. Then, it's definitely going to need a brake job .. hopefully I can just turn the rotors and drums and rebuild everything with some fresh pads .. I'm blowing my load on the suspension .. so I got to be budget minded for the little things just to get her on the road.

Thats the same idea i had last night... why not do it all? My tank has some interior rust also, how much was your dip and where did you get it done?

Also, are you swapping out the suspension members? or just the shocks and struts. I'm looking for the best full bushing kit now and may do some suspension sanding/repainting while i have everything out... and while i have it out the Tokikos arent THAT expensive.... :snowball:

It cost me $140 for the boilout and relining. Only took a couple days. It was a place called River City Radiator; 719 N. New Braunfels Ave. 78202. He cleaned my sending unit too. (210) 224-6067, talk to Roy.

I'm sending all four corners strut housings to be sectioned, fitted with coilovers and illuminas and powder-coated, then new bearings and spindle pins when they get back. I plan on buying the adjustable LCA's as well, but a little further down the road, so for right now, I'm just pulling, stripping, painting and reassembling with new bushings. I think I've spent plenty at this point .. :)