36 replies to this topic

#1 OilKiller

OilKiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

First of all, thank you in advance to all of the forum members. I have been a silent reader for a year or so and have used this site to satiate my appetite for my own Z. I am very impressed by the willingness to help and the support everyone gives.

I am a mechanical engineer located in San Antonio. I work in an HD engine research lab and know a fair amount of "book stuff" but have pretty clean knuckles.

I have always wanted one and the wait is over! I picked this one up last weekend for a great deal. She’s a Hybrid and I am hoping she may have a build mention somewhere in this forum that I haven’t found. Let me know if you recognize her.

She’s got some problems (wont post them here) but nothing daunting.

Attached File  photo (4).jpg   142.41KB   296 downloads

Attached File  photo (3).jpg   77.41KB   283 downloads

#2 Poundz9oh9

Poundz9oh9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, NC

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

Did you locate this car on CL? I've seen one very similar to it recently... Oh and welcome!
---Marcus---
77 280Z The typical "Work in Progress" for this site :)

#3 OilKiller

OilKiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

Yes I did find her on CL, the seller said he got several calls from out of state. Probably a bunch of members :D
Thanks to anyone who passed on it, Finders Keepers! :P

Didnt notice your from SA! Are you active at all with the local Z guys?

Edited by OilKiller, 12 March 2012 - 09:14 AM.

#4 Poundz9oh9

Poundz9oh9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

Just got on ZSport.org recently, but hadn't been out yet to anything .. I just picked this Z up after a few years of being without one, so I really just became active on the boards again recently as well. I looked at it a few times, but it was more than I wanted to spend on a starting point, plus an I6 is nowhere in the cards for me whether force inducted or not ! lol

I've got my tank dropped and at the radiator shop getting boiled and resealed, so I'm hoping to have the car driveable this week! Can't wait!

Here's my last Z
http://www.cardomain...240z#5378940007
---Marcus---

#5 OilKiller

OilKiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

Beautiful Z! I will check that site out. Seller came down quite a bit on the price. I went to see it a month ago and passed on it, but he relisted it and I made him a deal.

#6 Poundz9oh9

Poundz9oh9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

Yeah I saw that he had it listed for a while! I think I lucked out on finding mine, aside from some body rot it's in pretty amazing shape ... Not too worried about the rust spots on the body at the moment, it's solid in the important places .. well solid enough ... going to need frame rails and just a little bit of sheet metal work, but I haven't found any real bad spots yet :)

What side of town are you on?
---Marcus---

#7 OilKiller

OilKiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

Far west. I don’t have break lights yet and I’m not crazy enough to dive SA without them so i wont be doing any meet and greets yet, previous owner seemed to have a few electrical problems and the back half of the car is without wiring.

When i got it I was having an issue with sputtering between idle and ~25% throttle and then it would come on strong. I found the fuel pressure had been set at around 60 psi at idle :blink: ... I adjusted it to around 30-35 at idle and now its runs smooth and strong. I will have to pull the plugs and such because i think it has been running really rich for a while.

It also had an issue with the alternator. He had a new one in box but i was curious why he hadn’t already changed it, not a real hard job. I found the one installed looked real clean and new. I checked the belt tension and found it was pretty loose and when you tugged on it the alternator moved. The slotted bolt was tight, but the bolt holding the tension rod to the block was loose and it allowed a little play. Went ahead and changed the alternator and tightened that bolt. Voltage looks good, but i ran out of gas before I could check much more.

3 days in and its moving the right direction, really enjoying the tinkering. I can’t wait till its back on the highway, but for now it will be around my neighborhood.

#8 SleeperZ

SleeperZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2856 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

It certainly looks like a fuel injected Z under the hood. I see it has the early 240Z front bumper, looks good.

Nice find, have fun!

1978 280Z -->  L28ET, MS3, T3/T4 (V1/V2), 440cc injectors, Spearco IC, BW T5

Otherwise all stock.

#9 volfan98

volfan98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAL

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

I was one of the out-of-state guys looking at that car pretty seriously, but couldn't find a good (economical) way to get it back to TN. If he came down on the price a bit then you got yourself a great deal!!

Matt

#10 Poundz9oh9

Poundz9oh9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

Far west. I don’t have break lights yet and I’m not crazy enough to dive SA without them so i wont be doing any meet and greets yet, previous owner seemed to have a few electrical problems and the back half of the car is without wiring.

When i got it I was having an issue with sputtering between idle and ~25% throttle and then it would come on strong. I found the fuel pressure had been set at around 60 psi at idle :blink: ... I adjusted it to around 30-35 at idle and now its runs smooth and strong. I will have to pull the plugs and such because i think it has been running really rich for a while.

It also had an issue with the alternator. He had a new one in box but i was curious why he hadn’t already changed it, not a real hard job. I found the one installed looked real clean and new. I checked the belt tension and found it was pretty loose and when you tugged on it the alternator moved. The slotted bolt was tight, but the bolt holding the tension rod to the block was loose and it allowed a little play. Went ahead and changed the alternator and tightened that bolt. Voltage looks good, but i ran out of gas before I could check much more.

3 days in and its moving the right direction, really enjoying the tinkering. I can’t wait till its back on the highway, but for now it will be around my neighborhood.

Cool deal, yeah I'm down in the SW off of 90 and Hunt Ln. I'm not thinking I'll be getting it out anytime soon either except maybe just spin around the block or something once I ge the tank back, then I'm immediately dropping the suspension for coilovers and bushings, so hopefully I can get it all back buttoned up around the end of the month and have a little fun with it before it gets too hot out .. The AC works phenominally right now, but it hasn't really been tested by summer temps yet. Hopefully it can keep up, I'm pretty excited to get into a Z with working AC! My last one was completely gutted and SUCKED driving in the sumertime (was stationed in Cali at the time).

I'll probably have to have the head done once I get it running and do a valve adjustment (to see if it needs it), I'm anticipating the valve adjustment not quieting the top down much at this point, but I'm HOPING it will!
---Marcus---

#11 Sparky

Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

Lots of SA z's coming out of the wood work lately, good to see some s30 action down here!

#12 Poundz9oh9

Poundz9oh9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

I noticed that too .. and today on the way to Walmart, saw a silver S30 turning west on Potranco from SB 1604. Almost broke my neck trying to check it out, it's the first S30 I've seen on the road here!
---Marcus---

#13 Sparky

Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

I caught a glimpse of a beautiful red 240z occasionally up near stone oak but have never been able to catch the guy, sadly one of the reasons why I stopped going to the z sport meetings was because I was tired of seeing nothing but 350z's all the time. If some s30 guys start showing up I just might make it a point to go by there. Anyone planning on going to the nismo fiesta? Errr.... in an early zcar? :)

#14 Poundz9oh9

Poundz9oh9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

I MIGHT be able to make that, even with the 280 ... Crossing fingers!

Would this be the Red one you speak of?
Posted Image

I can see how the group has more modern platforms, but I think that's just due to the volume of what's out there. They seem to be pretty cool so far and seem to be as excited to see S30's as we are around here.
---Marcus---

#15 Sparky

Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

The one I've seen a few times is a lowered but mostly stock looking 240z with some deep dish panasports on it.

I think I'll make it a point to cruise out to the next meeting in my 240z. I should be able to get it all put together by then!

#16 Poundz9oh9

Poundz9oh9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:36 AM

Yeah, if you go, I'll go .. how bout that ? lol

I'm hoping to have her up and running by then ! :)
---Marcus---

#17 slownrusty

slownrusty

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2261 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:25 AM

I am in Houston an an engin-nerd in the Oil \ Gas industry! Welcome, hope I get to meet you SA guys sometime soon. Nice turbo conversion Oilkiller, I hope you get all the issues sorted.
Ole skool "wouldn't have it any other way"

#18 OilKiller

OilKiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

I was just talking this morning with my good friend Trey... He’s a real big Z guy and stop going to meets because of the new cars. He has three I think, one is Silver on this side of town. Maybe he is who you saw. Also has a perfect black hybrid flare body and a JDM IMSA... :blink:

He has been an awesome resource.

We should get it rolling again and show up to a Zsport meeting together. Brake lights are all that’s holding me back now, flaking clear and all

Oh and i am right at 1604 and 90, pass hunt lane every day on my way home.

Edited by OilKiller, 14 March 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#19 Poundz9oh9

Poundz9oh9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

I was just talking this morning with my good friend Trey... He’s a real big Z guy and stop going to meets because of the new cars. He has three I think, one is Silver on this side of town. Maybe he is who you saw. Also has a perfect black hybrid flare body and a JDM IMSA... :blink:

He has been an awesome resource.

We should get it rolling again and show up to a Zsport meeting together. Brake lights are all that’s holding me back now, flaking clear and all

Oh and i am right at 1604 and 90, pass hunt lane every day on my way home.

No ish? I'm off of Kriewald in between the 90 access rd and Pue ... sounds like you're pretty close. I used to have spare parts that would have got you up and running, but I got rid of them just last year when I decided that I wasn't going to do another Z .. lol .. silly me ..

I checked the pick and pull website and their inventory says they've got a couple S30's out in the yard. Was goin to go check it out sometime this week. Need a portion of a cut wiring harness or something?

Edited by Poundz9oh9, 14 March 2012 - 09:13 AM.

---Marcus---

#20 OilKiller

OilKiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Great! yeah maybe, im getting into the back panel today to look at it. I am hoping that the wires are all there. I havent chekced the whole fuze box yet (i know i know) but that and the fuseable links are what my buddy trey told me to start with. Hoping that every fix will be as easy as the fuel pressure and alternator. I will let you know if i need anything, i got a few interior pieces i could use. Maybe i will meet you down there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users