HybridZ
OilKiller

South Texas engineer with a new 75 Z turbo

im thinking about switching to a fuel cell and cutting out the back spare well... but thinking about it and actually starting to remove structural panels on a unibody are two different things. I know its been done but it scares me a little. maybe down the road, for now i might just change the filter out often and bite the need for injectors over the next year.

This weekend i am finally going to get down and dirty with looking at the total condition. I will post many pics.

That's the goal! A couple of family emergencies put me a little behind but I'm still hoping to get her on the ground nlt Saturday afternoon! I'm fine with skipping Saturday's events if I can still make Sundays!

Hope you make it! I'm still on the fence but I'm trying to work things out!

Been a while since my last update and i dont mean to be cliché... but my wife and I are pregnant and i haven’t had much time to work on the Z.

It has moved slightly backwards since my last update. A friend and I took it for a short spin to troubleshoot a flat line in power at higher RPMS, we determined it is not clutch slip but it feels like right when power should really pick up with boost... it just stops climbing. My guess is that the fuel pump in undersized and that may be why the previous owner had tried to choke up the fuel back pressure. I am working on running the backpressure gauge into the cab so that i can monitor it at WOT. My guess is that at 3500 pressure drops straight off.

When we returned to the house we made the mistake of parking it in the street, of course the starter thought this was a great time to lock up (I have a steep driveway). I did not want to leave my new dash pad in the Texas August sun so we decided to try and "knock start" the starter. After about 1 minute of my buddy knocking on the starter while i cranked with him yelling "keep going!" i managed to let the smoke out of one of the wires off the ignition relay. This wire had been getting hot after even short periods of cranking but i was putting off trying to troubleshoot any more electrical woes. Now i have no choice but to dig deeper into the 10 different wires that are all run through the same relay. The one that smoked out has fused itself to the adjacent wires...

So im at a crossroads of either replacing the one wire/resistor/replacing whatever is drawing hella current and crossing my fingers no other ELEC issues pop up... or starting off at square one and setting up a loom in my living room and running everything new from the schematics of the 75 chassis and the 83Turbo engine harness. Anyone know of a good source for "hybrid" harnesses? Or am i better off doing it myself and learning in the process? I am going to pre-empt some of your responses and do a search as well ;)

I noticed that too .. and today on the way to Walmart, saw a silver S30 turning west on Potranco from SB 1604. Almost broke my neck trying to check it out, it's the first S30 I've seen on the road here!

Hey just reading through your post, I think the one you saw was me.  I live out in that area and it comes out to play every once in a while but reserving some funds for some engine work soon.  I have very similar set up to what you have but currently getting lots of blow by so it's time for her to get freshened up under the hood.

I know of 6 turbo s30's in SA but have never been witness to any of them parked together at the same time. I wonder if any of them actually run at the same time or if we all just trade some sort of S30-T life force that's transferred from car to car.

Been a while since my last update and i don't mean to be cliche... but my wife and I had a second kido and i have not had much time to work on the Z. (I sure hope i do not have a kid for every post i make.)

I switched jobs and have a lot more free time so here is a quick catch up.

I pulled every wire out of the car. The 280z chassis harness, 280ZX engine harness and the giant electrical tap/relay monster are gone. Some portions of each of them were burnt out after the issue with powering the starter. Turns out all the positives were running off a very small lead wire and a single relay. 

DIY Autotune's MSII and Harness are in.

Engine (F54 P90) is pulled and torn down with great results. Everything is standard size and showed minimal wear. Probably should not have been pulled now that i see how tight it still was. Clutch looks brand new. Bearings look great. rings gaped correctly and had even witness lines. Cam/Rockers have no visible wear. Pistons were pretty gummed up, but none of it really got onto the lands to form heavy carbon. I still think this is fuel from the supper rich condition and not oil. Knowing what i know now i probably could have just tuned it on MS and burnt this off.

I will put up my measurements when I start the rebuild.