36 replies to this topic

#21 Sparky

Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Trey' is a good guy, it's been 10 years since I last say him... Right around the time he debuted hnis burgandy fairlady. I bought my fenders and some misc interior bits from him when I was building my turbo car. It's good to hear he still has the turbo beast and the silver 280. Is he still at SWR?

If he stopped going to the meetings because of the new stuff the we should start a San Antonio classic imports club and mix marques with some old euro tin! Would love to hang out with some car guys without all the club drama and dues.

I think I will make it a point to be at the next meeting, maybe I'll see yall there.

#22 OilKiller

OilKiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

Yeah hes still out here, I agree about the old import club. It would be very cool. I know hes been pretty busy building a cabin i think..?

Oh and the list of problems with the Z grew yesterday. There is a shutter from the back left wheel but i havent crawled underneeth since its been in my garage. It could be a few things but seems to be worse when slowing down without braking.

I know i need to replace my diff mounts because it rocks back during changing throttle.

Oh and the problem with the sputtering under slight throttle is still there, thought the fuel pressure fixed it. I now think it may be an intake leak because the problem stops right when boost/vac hits 0. It was a one step forward two steps back kinda week.

To top it off I found that the front left rotor has deep groves in it and there is a grinding feel to the brakes... maybe lost a pad? Dont know how i missed that! :huh:

This is when everyone tells me... get used to it, its only just started!

#23 Poundz9oh9

Poundz9oh9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, NC

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Lol ..

Get used to it, it's only just started ;)

I figured I'd just approach this car like it needs EVERYTHING, that way I'm not disappointed when I find something wrong ;)

Just talked to the radiator shop and found out my tank is ready for pick up .. can't wait to crank her up this afternoon .. well, maybe I'll wait. It's kind of nice having the extra space underneath whil I pull the suspension apart :)

Sending the suspension out for coilovers tomorrow or sat. Then, it's definitely going to need a brake job .. hopefully I can just turn the rotors and drums and rebuild everything with some fresh pads .. I'm blowing my load on the suspension .. so I got to be budget minded for the little things just to get her on the road.
---Marcus---
77 280Z The typical "Work in Progress" for this site :)

#24 OilKiller

OilKiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:43 AM

Thats the same idea i had last night... why not do it all? My tank has some interior rust also, how much was your dip and where did you get it done?

Also, are you swapping out the suspension members? or just the shocks and struts. I'm looking for the best full bushing kit now and may do some suspension sanding/repainting while i have everything out... and while i have it out the Tokikos arent THAT expensive.... :snowball:

#25 Poundz9oh9

Poundz9oh9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

It cost me $140 for the boilout and relining. Only took a couple days. It was a place called River City Radiator; 719 N. New Braunfels Ave. 78202. He cleaned my sending unit too. (210) 224-6067, talk to Roy.

I'm sending all four corners strut housings to be sectioned, fitted with coilovers and illuminas and powder-coated, then new bearings and spindle pins when they get back. I plan on buying the adjustable LCA's as well, but a little further down the road, so for right now, I'm just pulling, stripping, painting and reassembling with new bushings. I think I've spent plenty at this point .. :)
---Marcus---

#26 OilKiller

OilKiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

im thinking about switching to a fuel cell and cutting out the back spare well... but thinking about it and actually starting to remove structural panels on a unibody are two different things. I know its been done but it scares me a little. maybe down the road, for now i might just change the filter out often and bite the need for injectors over the next year.

This weekend i am finally going to get down and dirty with looking at the total condition. I will post many pics.

#27 Poundz9oh9

Poundz9oh9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

Sweet! Can't wait to see them. I'm knee deep in this dang strut removal as we speak .... Almost done with one after being at it for 3 days! Lol
---Marcus---

#28 Sparky

Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Didn't see any of y'all at the z meeting yesterday! There were two 240's out there, my turbo car and a friends triple sk series one. I'm
Going to assume that everyone is busy getting their cars ready for the nismo fiesta this weekend. :)

#29 Poundz9oh9

Poundz9oh9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

That's the goal! A couple of family emergencies put me a little behind but I'm still hoping to get her on the ground nlt Saturday afternoon! I'm fine with skipping Saturday's events if I can still make Sundays!
---Marcus---

#30 Sparky

Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

That's the goal! A couple of family emergencies put me a little behind but I'm still hoping to get her on the ground nlt Saturday afternoon! I'm fine with skipping Saturday's events if I can still make Sundays!

Hope you make it! I'm still on the fence but I'm trying to work things out!

#31 OilKiller

OilKiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

Been a while since my last update and i dont mean to be cliché... but my wife and I are pregnant and i haven’t had much time to work on the Z.

It has moved slightly backwards since my last update. A friend and I took it for a short spin to troubleshoot a flat line in power at higher RPMS, we determined it is not clutch slip but it feels like right when power should really pick up with boost... it just stops climbing. My guess is that the fuel pump in undersized and that may be why the previous owner had tried to choke up the fuel back pressure. I am working on running the backpressure gauge into the cab so that i can monitor it at WOT. My guess is that at 3500 pressure drops straight off.

When we returned to the house we made the mistake of parking it in the street, of course the starter thought this was a great time to lock up (I have a steep driveway). I did not want to leave my new dash pad in the Texas August sun so we decided to try and "knock start" the starter. After about 1 minute of my buddy knocking on the starter while i cranked with him yelling "keep going!" i managed to let the smoke out of one of the wires off the ignition relay. This wire had been getting hot after even short periods of cranking but i was putting off trying to troubleshoot any more electrical woes. Now i have no choice but to dig deeper into the 10 different wires that are all run through the same relay. The one that smoked out has fused itself to the adjacent wires...

So im at a crossroads of either replacing the one wire/resistor/replacing whatever is drawing hella current and crossing my fingers no other ELEC issues pop up... or starting off at square one and setting up a loom in my living room and running everything new from the schematics of the 75 chassis and the 83Turbo engine harness. Anyone know of a good source for "hybrid" harnesses? Or am i better off doing it myself and learning in the process? I am going to pre-empt some of your responses and do a search as well ;)

#32 ihiryu

ihiryu

Always Here

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationKilleen, TX

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Sweet! Another TX Z!

Contact me for cheap prices on speedhut gauges, many, many, other things

http://tinyurl.com/SpeedHut-Group-Buy

If we've done business and you were satisfied, a simple "Like" on our facebook page would be all the "thanks" I'd need!

https://www.facebook.com/KRMotorsports

#33 JES0486

JES0486

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

I noticed that too .. and today on the way to Walmart, saw a silver S30 turning west on Potranco from SB 1604. Almost broke my neck trying to check it out, it's the first S30 I've seen on the road here!

Hey just reading through your post, I think the one you saw was me.  I live out in that area and it comes out to play every once in a while but reserving some funds for some engine work soon.  I have very similar set up to what you have but currently getting lots of blow by so it's time for her to get freshened up under the hood.

75 280ZG Silver; L28ET/Borg T5 with longnose R200 3.54, Tial BOV/WG, IC'd, 440cc Ford Inj, MS2 w/EDIS, Aeromotive FPR, sumped tank (purchased 6/2011)
82 280ZX Soon to be painted: L28E in stock form. (Owned since I was 16)

#34 Sparky

Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

I know of 6 turbo s30's in SA but have never been witness to any of them parked together at the same time. I wonder if any of them actually run at the same time or if we all just trade some sort of S30-T life force that's transferred from car to car.

#35 OilKiller

OilKiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:57 AM

Been a while since my last update and i don't mean to be cliche... but my wife and I had a second kido and i have not had much time to work on the Z. (I sure hope i do not have a kid for every post i make.)

I switched jobs and have a lot more free time so here is a quick catch up.

I pulled every wire out of the car. The 280z chassis harness, 280ZX engine harness and the giant electrical tap/relay monster are gone. Some portions of each of them were burnt out after the issue with powering the starter. Turns out all the positives were running off a very small lead wire and a single relay. 

DIY Autotune's MSII and Harness are in.

Engine (F54 P90) is pulled and torn down with great results. Everything is standard size and showed minimal wear. Probably should not have been pulled now that i see how tight it still was. Clutch looks brand new. Bearings look great. rings gaped correctly and had even witness lines. Cam/Rockers have no visible wear. Pistons were pretty gummed up, but none of it really got onto the lands to form heavy carbon. I still think this is fuel from the supper rich condition and not oil. Knowing what i know now i probably could have just tuned it on MS and burnt this off.

I will put up my measurements when I start the rebuild.

Dirty and stage 1 clean
Album: L28et Rebuild
4 images
0 comments

#36 ihiryu

ihiryu

Always Here

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationKilleen, TX

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:10 PM

Nice find, I also saw that one on CL too.

Speaking of which, have you fellas seen the Fairlady that's been posted on Austin's CL?

Contact me for cheap prices on speedhut gauges, many, many, other things

http://tinyurl.com/SpeedHut-Group-Buy

If we've done business and you were satisfied, a simple "Like" on our facebook page would be all the "thanks" I'd need!

https://www.facebook.com/KRMotorsports

#37 xclusive_s

xclusive_s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Locationdallas

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:25 PM

Clean Z!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users