HybridZ

analog speedometer mod

So I know i've seen it on here before because I read it once before, but I haven't been on the forums in a while and could not find it using the search function (yes, I tried multiple times), but does anyone have a write up on how to make those custom speedometers that go to 140mph?

My digital one is completely not working now, and i'm going to pick up an analog to replace it from the junker, but I was curious to know just how hard/easy that 140mph face replacement/calibration is.

thanks

Are you content to go with the 1979 130mph version? If so, that's pretty easy.

1) Analog cluster from any S130

2) Analog speedo from an S130 1979 analog cluster, only year with 130mph.

3) Analog dash harness

4) I also replaced the engine temp sensors and fuel sending unit when I did mine.

Shops that calibrate analog speedos are becoming more and more rare. Shop I used in Indy was sold. The new guys have the device, but not sure what to do with it. Looks like a torture device.

If you are happy with the digital and want to maintain that look, I have a working digital cluster from when I changed to analog. PM me if interested in that route.

Are you content to go with the 1979 130mph version? If so, that's pretty easy.

1) Analog cluster from any S130

2) Analog speedo from an S130 1979 analog cluster, only year with 130mph.

3) Analog dash harness

4) I also replaced the engine temp sensors and fuel sending unit when I did mine.

Shops that calibrate analog speedos are becoming more and more rare. Shop I used in Indy was sold. The new guys have the device, but not sure what to do with it. Looks like a torture device.

If you are happy with the digital and want to maintain that look, I have a working digital cluster from when I changed to analog. PM me if interested in that route.

2a - A Canadian analog 1979-1983 - we never had the silly 85MPH rule. They are KMH/MPH gauges.... I'm sure there are other foreign ones as well but the Canadian ones might be easier to get....

Put a post in the Parts Wanted section and see what you get. Also check ebay. You might have to buy the cluster from one person and the 130 speedo from someone else.

I used Roger at Z Barn in TN to source the correct harness I needed to work with my 83 ZXT. He could probably help you with the cluster and gauge too.

I haven't talked to him in years. He was always very slow to respond, but true to taking care of his customers.

I think the 140mph speedo you're thinking of is this:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PIC03

It's a fully "drop in" unit. You pull your dash, pull the center gauge cluster, open up gauge cluster, swap speedo sections, and install all in reverse. Only problem is that it's not available anymore. Odds are they were never actually made by MSA, just distributed. Whoever was making them problem went out of business or didn't see the profit in them anymore.

thanks gollum, but it was definitely a member on here. navy blue zx if I remember correctly. he had done it somehow using faces from another gauge cluster and the rest is well.. what I was trying to figure out.

I guess WTB section it is. thanks for replying ZUL8TR