HybridZ

Aluminum DOHC 4.6 & 5.0 liter V8, 400hp 8 speed Automatic

zgeezer

I didn't know that Hyundai built their own engines and that two of them look like very good swap material. In my neck of the woods, Hyundai Genesis (Sedans) are not uncommon. Consumer Reports seems to like them and reported above average for reliability. Take a look.

GW

• 1 month later...

More alternatives mean cheaper engines--Problem is that you almost need the whole car to carefully extract the wire harnesses for the engine.But with the bigger brakes and rear diff if you were a crafty kind of guy you could probably use alot of the donor car.The r model is supposed to be fast.

• 1 month later...

I was real impressed with the 375-385HP they were getting with these motors NA when they first came out and told a lot of people they'd be killer donor engines because Hyundai's like other Korean cars plummet in value at about 10 years of age. The biggest issue though is always transmissions, which is why I think we don't see more VH and 1UZ swaps. They're very affordable motors, but you'll spend at least $500 just adapting it to a transmission you like, and when the motor on costs $500 to begin with...

Then Ford came out with the new 5.0 Coyote capable of WELL over 400hp, (2011 GT's are putting 390+ to the wheels stock) rated at 444hp for the boss with just minor tweaks really. The upshot with the Ford engine is that if you wanted to do the swap NOW, they have a standalone wiring harness specifically made for hot rod swaps, and is still fully usable for a BAR swap if you were going that route. At over $7k that might seem steep for an engine, but remember that it's BRAND NEW, and you don't have to spend hours figuring out the wiring, and it bolts up to a T56 perfectly. Same can't be said for the Hyundai Genesis as of right now. Finding wreaked ones is difficult and the ones in good shape will be hard to find killer deals on for a while.

The future really does look bright for the engine swapping hybrid'ers like us. 2thumbs.gif

Edited by Gollum

• 2 months later...

I didn't know that Hyundai built their own engines and that two of them look like very good swap material. In my neck of the woods, Hyundai Genesis (Sedans) are not uncommon. Consumer Reports seems to like them and reported above average for reliability. Take a look.

GW

They are longitudinally mounted too, aluminum block and lots of horsepower. A caution though some engines I understand have an opposite rotation. This may affect the longevity of the rear end. I don't know but it is something to think about.

I was real impressed with the 375-385HP they were getting with these motors NA when they first came out and told a lot of people they'd be killer donor engines because Hyundai's like other Korean cars plummet in value at about 10 years of age. The biggest issue though is always transmissions, which is why I think we don't see more VH and 1UZ swaps. They're very affordable motors, but you'll spend at least $500 just adapting it to a transmission you like, and when the motor on costs $500 to begin with...

Then Ford came out with the new 5.0 Coyote capable of WELL over 400hp, (2011 GT's are putting 390+ to the wheels stock) rated at 444hp for the boss with just minor tweaks really. The upshot with the Ford engine is that if you wanted to do the swap NOW, they have a standalone wiring harness specifically made for hot rod swaps, and is still fully usable for a BAR swap if you were going that route. At over $7k that might seem steep for an engine, but remember that it's BRAND NEW, and you don't have to spend hours figuring out the wiring, and it bolts up to a T56 perfectly. Same can't be said for the Hyundai Genesis as of right now. Finding wreaked ones is difficult and the ones in good shape will be hard to find killer deals on for a while.

The future really does look bright for the engine swapping hybrid'ers like us. 2thumbs.gif

I think the close ration 6R80 automatic 6 speed can be used too.