HybridZ

83 280ZX Turbo track star

The shop I work at just purchased an 83 280zx t-top turbo 2+2 for $500. This is strictly going to be a track only car. NO STREET! So lets get started with the game plan and etc. etc. The floorpans are almost flintstoned and the "frame rails", well I won't even call them that, need to be replaced. We picked it up and drove her home though.....

511ea8a8.jpg

aeb29c81.jpg

212d8520.jpg

215a69a1.jpg

Placed her up on corner scales to see what kinda diet we could go on....

Overall - 2880lbs

Stripped out the interior, dash, seats, carpet, console, door panels, rear interior panels, and blower motor so far.....

4f653f3e.jpg

74eedf47.jpg

Placed her back on the corner scales....

Overall - 2593lbs

So we have lost 287lbs so far. Plenty more to go. Currently this is how we sit. Only 2 days into it. Tommorrow the engine and trans comes out.

Removed the engine, trans, and the remainder of stuff behind dash area. Next up this week hopefully is to redo the floor pans, frame rails, and start the cage. Got a lot of extra parts to sell, guess they will be going on ebay since I am not a donating member on here.

Edited by Chump Track

because it has been asked 1000000000x. If you want a direct bolt on you want a r200 from an 87-89 300zx turbo, it onl has 3.7 gear ratio. They go for about $1000 on CL and people are holding on to them now. I would rather just find a 3.9 or 4.11 r200 and throw in an OS Giken LSD.

because it has been asked 1000000000x. If you want a direct bolt on you want a r200 from an 87-89 300zx turbo, it onl has 3.7 gear ratio. They go for about $1000 on CL and people are holding on to them now. I would rather just find a 3.9 or 4.11 r200 and throw in an OS Giken LSD.

I understand it had been asked a lot, but I have read to many different answers to what fits and what doesn't. Just like I had a kid stop by the shop today with a z32, bolt on TT, and told me he had a R200 with lsd. Thank you for the answer though, thats all I was looking for.

The budget is not limited to $500. You are allowed upgrades on certain parts as long as they are withing 1.5 times the oe cost. Also if you do certain upgrades you are penalized so many laps per dollar amount.

Edited by Chump Track

• 2 weeks later...

At a stand still right now until we figure out exactly what we are doing with the brakes and suspension. I want to throw the 240sx rear subframe and from spindles/struts under it so my brake upgrades will be easier. Just trying to make sure 100% that it will work with out major mods. I know the rear sub will require a little work, but that's nothing we can't handle.

I did manage to pick up a set of 18x8 350z touring v1 wheels for cheap cheap.

Will this car have a cage (not familiar with chump car series). If so, how will be working it around the T-tops, specifically the levers to remove them?

It will be caged, and the plan with the t-tops is to remove them and then skin the opening.

Edited by Chump Track