HybridZ

Custom tail light brainstorming w/ pics.

YeaJimi

So I was messing around with ideas of creating some custom tail lights for my 280zx. Anyways I made a cardboard template and was arranging the lights I intended to use for the final install. Let me know what you think of the configuration of each setup. I definitely like some more than others, but I won't put my 2 cents in just yet. The idea was to use the red led lights for brake/turn signal and the clear for reverse lamps. So let me know what you think, constructive criticism please.

DSCN0346.jpg

DSCN0347.jpg

DSCN0348.jpg

DSCN0349.jpg

DSCN0350.jpg

DSCN0351.jpg

DSCN0344.jpg

DSCN0345.jpg

To be honest, all seem to be Bland/Winebago like, IMHO.

Now for the constructive part........

Maybe you could use this lighting behind a clear/smoked/colored cover,

with a design ??. Similar to a 80's/90's Firebird set up ;)

post-3495-074323600 1333162446_thumb.jpg

Edited by jasper

To be honest, all seem to be Bland/Winebago like, IMHO.

Now for the constructive part........

Maybe you could use this lighting behind a clear/smoked/colored cover,

with a design ??. Similar to a 80's/90's Firebird set up ;)

Every time I see one of those Firebirds I think of a water mellon on a skateboard....

After seeing them online, I figured what the hell. Once I received them, they were a tad bigger and gaudier than I had expected. The plexi panel was an idea I was playing with, but unfortunately the LED configuration doesn't provide a strong shape. Perhaps something like Vette eagle eyes.

VetteEagleEyes.jpg

Originally I thought the classic mustang setup would look nice.

MustangTail.jpg

Edited by YeaJimi

I've used these type lights several times as front turn/park lights but without the rubber grommets. I found a place that sells chrome or stainless bezels that cover up the grommets and I think would make it look much cleaner although I have never purchased from them. http://www.empirechromeshop.com/c-67-light-accessories.aspx?pagenum=2

I have been thinking about getting some tinted glass cut to fit in the taillight recesses(flush with the body)and imitate the factory (late model taillight with black stripes) lighting with LEDs backing it. I was thinking it might be nice looking to have flush mounted taillights. I wouldn't be hard to manufacture, and the most costly part would be to get the tinted glass cut to fit. LEDs can be purchased inexpensively by the hundreds.

You would need to mark out your pattern on a 1/16 inch thick black plastic sheet (in the shape of the taillight), drill holes for the LEDs, and wire up the LEDs with four parallel circuits(and a resistor for each leg)to divide the 14V.

You will need four different circuits (brake, parking, turn, and reverse). You could use amber LEDs for turn signal and intermingle them with the reds to create a flip-flop look, or alternate straight lines with red and amber. The possibilities would be endless. It would just take some time to figure out what your pattern preference would look like.

Hmm...maybe I'll start that project this summer...

Edited by macambra