HybridZ

s14 sr20det Z with original cable speedo? possible?

stan401

im gaining parts for my 240z with a sr20det swap but one of my main problem is my speedo,im actualy going to use a fairlady Z original speedometer since my car will be a jdm replica

but i bought my 240km/h speedo before finding out the sr20det from a s14 had an electronic speedometer. so anybody know what speedo gear to use to change it to a wire speedo from a Z? i dont care if its not acurate as long as i have some reading...

005.jpg

You can use the cable type from many transmissions from the stock Z one to Datsun pickups. The question will be which one you need to get an accurate speedo. I am using a black gear with an SR and 4.11 diff. I believe there is a link on here about the different ratios and color of the trans gear. You may need to rotate the gear housing a bit to get the gears to mesh well.

Check out my thread on using a 280Z tach in the 240Z housing to get an original looking tach that works with an SR or most any engine, if you are interested.

i just noticed that it may be confusing, by wire i mean cable i want to keep the original cable one but on the S14 they are electronic so i need a new gear in the transmition for a cable one

for my tach i already bought an aftermarket one that work with 4-6-8 cylinder and since im using Wiring Specialties harness it will be easy to plugg in.

OK so as far as i know he could use the speedo "bullet" part out of a rb20 trans. They have a cable and should fit right in the sr-ka trans. I even think the part out of a zx 5sp would work also. One would have to pull the trans apart and add the drive gear.

Edited by VKLR

OK so as far as i know he could use the speedo "bullet" part out of a rb20 trans. They have a cable and should fit right in the sr-ka trans. I even think the part out of a zx 5sp would work also. One would have to pull the trans apart and add the drive gear.

Speedhut can print anything on the face of the speedometer. Make it look like the old one....

I wouldn't be surprised if speedhut would even go so far as closely matching the backplate and needle out of your fairlady tach onto one of their gauges. Try emailing/calling them to find out for sure but I'm sure they'd do it. The speedhut gauges are nice, they run off gps, and have some cool features like a 0-60 time setting, a 1/4 mile time setting, etc. Pretty darn cool. If you already have an aftermarket tach, might as well sell the jdm speedo and get a normal speedhut gauge, it's not like the heart of the car will be oem jdm either...

One other possibility if you're handy is you could use the s14 system and just put the inards in your fairlady speedo. Im not sure how that would work out but I don't think it would be too terribly hard. Would be cool, that's for sure!

How closely related are the SR and KA transmissions? I have heard of people using the cable senders from older Nissan's on KA's

Can I link to other forums? Here is how some 510 guys did it

510 solution

More talk about 510 solution

DQ Volume 9 Issue 3 - Tech How-To: Speedometer Pinion Replacement -- Keep using your stock 510 speedometer with a modern engine swap.

I'm very new to the Z so make of this what you will

Edited by Mike-Z

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just used the bullet manual assembly from my S130 5 speed transmission.  The gear didn't match the SR tranny, but all I had to do was remove the 280zx gear (molded on PITA), grind the shaft it was removed from the a half moon shape to permit the SR tranny gear to slide on.  In the process of the grinding and heat the SR gear basically molded itself to the modded 280zx manual speedo sender unit.  I've also been told you should be able to use any Z31 5 speed sender in the SR tranny as a direct swap.  I have one of those too now but haven't tried it since my modded unit has been working since I installed it.  I've also been told any of the RB 5 speed units will work.

I was concerned that by taking out the electrical speed input from the ECU that it might trigger a limp mode but that has not been the case.  Oddly though, on a chance to do a high speed run I did have the ECU cut out at around 145 mph (5500 or so rpm in 5th).  I don't know how/why it did that but I'm not concerned since I never really need that much velocity up there.

Nigel that's interesting since mine was just a bit smaller in diameter it wasn't making contact with the SR drive gear inside the case.  I wonder if mine was just worn down or if the transmission was different internally.  It would have been a lot easier for me if I didn't have to get that ZX gear off.

The SR transmission is just another FS5W71C transmission as far as the speedo gears go. Just use the cable drive from the original 240Z transmission, knowing that you may have to rotate the cable drive to get the gears to mesh up...the shaft is offset depending on the rear end ratio, because the rear end ratio sets the size of the speedometer gear...NOT the transmission.

Also, around 1981 the retaining clip bolt hole went from the bottom side of the cable drive/sending unit to the top side, 180* flip. DO NOT just flip the gear drive...it may not fit and then it'll break! You need to install the cable drive, then rotate it until the gears mesh up, then mark and file a new retaining clip slot into the original housing.